This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

26% of Americans say the Jews killed Jesus.

#31bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2013 1:53:54 PM
Nor do christians. Believing Jews were responsible for the crucifixion does not make you an anti-semite.

Believing certain Jews, no. Believing all Jews, yes.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_deicide
---
Assad is a doctor. It's insulting to suggest any doctor would actively order chemical weapons be employed onto civilians. - jabini
#32Dunking_DuncanPosted 11/2/2013 1:55:24 PM
Anti-antisemitism is still a thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb3IMTJjzfo

Ask the same question 50 or 100 years ago and get a much higher yes answer rate.
#33bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2013 1:58:32 PM
Dunking_Duncan posted...
There was a prophecy that the Jewish Messiah would be rejected by his own people.

Isaiah 53:1, 3 – “Who has believed our message? To whom will the Lord reveal His saving power? He was despised and rejected – a man of sorrows, acquainted with bitterest grief. We turned our backs on Him and looked the other way when He went by. He was despised, and we did not care.”

And that he would be tried and put to death.

Isaiah 53:8 – “From prison and trial they led Him away to His death. But who among the people realized that He was dying for their sins – that He was suffering their punishment?”

Jesus had a following among underclass and the poor of Jewish society it was the spiritual elite and the authorities of the time he didn't get along with. Had he claimed to be a messenger or a prophet of God and done everything he was meant to do as a pious Jew he would have got on just fine.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/263-religion/67456485

This was already discussed.
---
Assad is a doctor. It's insulting to suggest any doctor would actively order chemical weapons be employed onto civilians. - jabini
#34SilviiroPosted 11/2/2013 2:03:51 PM
The survey very clearly implies todays Jews as a whole.

I can't tell what the survey implied since it was a phone survey, but the exact statement which is listed in the survey results page at http://www.adl.org/assets/pdf/press-center/adl-survey-attitudes-towards-jews-in-us-2013.pdf is "Percentage of Americans who said, 'Jews were responsible for the death of Christ.'"
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#35bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2013 2:07:01 PM
Silviiro posted...

I can't tell what the survey implied since it was a phone survey, but the exact statement which is listed in the survey results page at http://www.adl.org/assets/pdf/press-center/adl-survey-attitudes-towards-jews-in-us-2013.pdf is "Percentage of Americans who said, 'Jews were responsible for the death of Christ.'"

Its context. Every other question talks about todays Jews as a whole.
---
#36SilviiroPosted 11/2/2013 2:13:28 PM

But what order was it asked in? Even then, you aren't supposed to answer survey questions based on context.
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#37childofdelightPosted 11/2/2013 3:40:26 PM
Silviiro posted...
. . . Now that doesn't mean that somehow guilt was passed down and everyone descended from one of the Jews who brought Jesus before Pilate bears some of the guilt. . . .

Then some of the scribes and Pharisees answered him, saying, “Teacher, we wish to see a sign from you.” But he answered them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. The men of Nineveh will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and behold, something greater than Jonah is here. Matthew 12:38-41

And the Pharisees and Sadducees came, and to test him they asked him to show them a sign from heaven. He answered them, “When it is evening, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.’ And in the morning, ‘It will be stormy today, for the sky is red and threatening.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times. An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah.” So he left them and departed. Matthew 16:1-4
---
//I`*'\;:;:;/'*`*`{ ~ Love and Light ~ }`*`*'\;:;:;/'*`I\Y/I`'*|~P L~\*'`'I\\
|]I'*'`|:/\:|`'*'u*'`{ ~ Blessed 'Be ~ }`'*n'*'`|:/\:|`'*'I[ | ]I`'*|~U R~\*'`I[|
#38the_hedonistPosted 11/3/2013 7:48:28 AM
bsballa09 posted...
Silviiro posted...

Who cares about context in this situation? Doesn't matter how much context you throw in there, the statement clearly says that "Jews WERE responsible." Past tense. Not "Jews today are responsible." Huge difference. Fortunately, the surveyors did not include that statement in their anti-Semitism index. That statement needs some qualifications. There is more nuance to the "Jewish deicide" problem.

I also would like them to clarify what they mean by Jews are more loyal to Israel than America. Are we talking about Jews in Israel or in America. I would assume that Israeli Jews are on the whole more loyal to Israel and American Jews are on the whole more loyal to America. But the statement isn't clear enough. But I would still fall in their unprejudiced range as that is the only statement that I might agree with, depending on some qualification.
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#39bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 9:21:12 AM(edited)
Who cares about context in this situation? Doesn't matter how much context you throw in there, the statement clearly says that "Jews WERE responsible." Past tense. Not "Jews today are responsible."

Obviously it's going to say it in the past tense. Jesus died 2,000 years ago. However, that does not mean they do not think todays Jews aren't responsible. It mainly comes from this verse:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_curse

Matthew 27:24-25: When Pilate saw that he could not prevail, but rather that a tumult was beginning, he took water and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, "I am innocent of the blood of this just person. See ye to it." Then answered all the people and said, "His blood be on us, and on our children!"

Fortunately, the surveyors did not include that statement in their anti-Semitism index. That statement needs some qualifications. There is more nuance to the "Jewish deicide" problem.

Uh, yes they did. Infact, the survey considered 57% of them have the most anti-Semitic views.

I also would like them to clarify what they mean by Jews are more loyal to Israel than America. Are we talking about Jews in Israel or in America. I would assume that Israeli Jews are on the whole more loyal to Israel and American Jews are on the whole more loyal to America.

Are you being serious right now? Why the **** would they ask if Israeli Jews were more loyal to America?
---
#40SSj4WingzeroPosted 11/3/2013 9:22:48 AM
Some of the people responsible for killing Jesus were Jews. That much can't really be denied; the Pharisees were Jews and they urged Pilate to release Barabbas and kill Jesus.

"THE" Jews as a statement doesn't really make sense, because which Jews are you talking about? Secular Jews? Hasidic Jews? Pharisees? Sadducees? It's a loaded question and most of America doesn't really know that much about Judaism so it's pretty ridiculous to expect them to give anything more than a vague answer.

Yes, some of the people responsible for the death of Jesus were Jewish. The fact that the remaining 74% of Americans were able to make the distinction between that statement and "The Jews killed Jesus" is actually quite miraculous because it's a lot higher than I'd expect
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?