This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did Jesus Have To Suffer On The Cross?

#1DagorhaPosted 11/2/2013 4:01:57 AM
Ok so Jesus, Son of God is actually part of the Trinity that make up God so supposedly he would have all of God the Father's powers correct? So if Jesus had to die for our sins, did he have to suffer for them as well? Couldn't he have just dulled the pain while being put to death and then just promptly died when his mortal body finally gave in? Is there any scriptural evidence that Jesus must have suffered?

Just a random thought I had
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#2JonWood007Posted 11/2/2013 7:47:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHN3nYhMC2k

I heard a much better one last night but I can't find it. But yeah, it's nonsensical to me.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#3epictetus1216Posted 11/2/2013 8:07:02 AM
Jesus suffering makes God more acccessible. He's human, and suffers as we do. He also proves God's love for us by coming down from his lofty throne in heaven to suffer on our behalf. His death on the cross wouldn't be seen as any great sacrifice if no suffering was involved.

"There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends." John 15:13

So that's what he did to show how great his love is. I don't believe all this happened myself. It's part of a bizarre, outdated and ancient cosmology to me, but for people who believe it there's a profound psychological effect, the effect of feeling loved. By God, no less.
#4Dunking_DuncanPosted 11/2/2013 8:20:21 AM
He had two natures as a normal human man he could be hurt and killed just like anyone else but as God he was able to physically return.
#5SilviiroPosted 11/2/2013 1:34:00 PM
In order for man to become like God, God had to become like man.
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#6Polish_CrusaderPosted 11/2/2013 2:52:50 PM
The main purpose in Jesus dying on the cross was to get people into heaven easier (dying for our sins so animal sacrifice is now useless) and fullfilling the old covenant of the old testament (prophecies came true, and all those silly laws now useless).

As for the actual amount of pain he suffered, i dont know what to say about that. Im not completley sure what you are asking. Did jesus have to suffer on the cross? I guess it was his choice. But im so glad he did because i do not like the old testament laws.
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#7Dunking_DuncanPosted 11/2/2013 3:46:53 PM
Jesus didn't necessarily describe heaven as being a place you go when you die.

http://www.tm.org/blog/enlightenment/jesus-christ-kingdom-god-within-you/

The idea as I woulds see it is that we don't really properly die but have eternal life in relationship with God which can begin today. Yes clearly there will be a change of form when your current body shuffles off the mortal coil. We change forms throughout life from cradle to grave anyway so you could see physical death as being one lives milestones.
#8IamvegitoPosted 11/2/2013 3:54:10 PM
If God doesn't suffer along with us, He/She isn't a very useful God, now is She/He?
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#9actarusPosted 11/2/2013 11:14:31 PM
Dagorha posted...
So if Jesus had to die for our sins, did he have to suffer for them as well? Couldn't he have just dulled the pain while being put to death and then just promptly died when his mortal body finally gave in? Is there any scriptural evidence that Jesus must have suffered?

Isa 53:4 Surely, He took the infirmities of us, and bore our sicknesses. Mat 8:17 .
Yet we did esteem Him stricken,
smitten by GOD, and afflicted.
Isa 53:5 But He was wounded for our transgression,
He was bruised for our iniquities:
the chastisement of our peace was upon Him;
and with His stripes we are healed. 1Pe 2:24 .
Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray;
we have turned every one to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.
Isa 53:7 He was oppressed,
and He was afflicted,
He opened not His mouth; Mat 27:12 .
He was led as a sheep to the slaughter;
and like a Lamb silent before His shearer,
He opened not His mouth: Mar 15:3-5 Act 8:32 .

In Bold from the LXX , Vulgate, DSS,and Syr sources (not the MT)
Psa 22:16 For dogs have surrounded Me: the assembly of the wicked have enclosed Me: they pierced My hands and My feet.
Psa 22:17 I may number all My bones: they look and stare upon Me.
Psa 22:18 They parted My garments among them, and they cast for My clothing a lot. Mat 27:35 .
---
Even the smallest star twinkles in the dark
#10C_MatPosted 11/4/2013 6:50:03 AM
Jesus' suffering was required in order to pave the way to salvation. I only know that because if it wasn't, if salvation could have been provided an easier way, then God would have done it. When Jesus was preparing to go to the cross, He prayed and asked God to remove His burden, if at all possible. And when Jesus was before Pilate (who ordered His execution), Jesus pointed out that he could call down a few hundred angels and get Himself out of all this pain and suffering at any time. I don't know why His suffering had to be so great, but I only know that He wouldn't have gone through with it unless it was absolutely necessary.

As I think Max Lucado said, it wasn't nails that held Jesus up on the cross, it was love.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk