This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

We done the latest'er Pope news yet?

#11ThuggernautzPosted 11/9/2013 11:21:12 PM
I wasn't mocking the Pope. I greatly admire what he's doing, and I expect he probably did help this man emotionally.

But that was the actions of a compassionate man, who doesn't have the power to heal the sick and diseased. God allegedly does, and didn't. Like I said originally, it would be much cooler if He did. Thanks for calling me a jackass, too. If only you aimed to emulate the good example of the Pope.
#12Moorish_IdolPosted 11/9/2013 11:27:42 PM
This topic really didn't need to become another "Why doesn't God heal sick people" argument.
#13Julian_CaesarPosted 11/10/2013 3:43:25 PM
Thuggernautz posted...
God allegedly does, and didn't. Like I said originally, it would be much cooler if He did. Thanks for calling me a jackass, too. If only you aimed to emulate the good example of the Pope.

You pretty clearly took advantage of people's attention towards a positive and uplifting piece of news, and did so in order to make an ethical jab at the beliefs of those whom you disagree with...including the man who is being discussed in the article.

That's called "being a jackass." And you're welcome. If only you aimed to emulate the good example of...I dunno, the average person?
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#14ThuggernautzPosted 11/10/2013 9:16:02 PM
If you feel bad about your Gods apparent lack of compassion or power towards this man, perhaps that's something you should examine. I stand by what I said 100%, what the Pope did is fantastically admirable and compassionate. But it would definitely be cooler if God had healed the guy.

I don't think it's jackassery to wish the guy would have been physically healed. Jus' saying.
#15kts123(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 8:28:39 AM(edited)
As strange as this sounds, Julian, I think Thugg may genuinely mean what he says. Or at least a part of him believes it now. I know I've personally caught myself doing the same thing. Implicature is that weird thing mob bosses do when they say "Sure would be a shame if something happened to this beautiful business of yours. Oh and I just remembered old friend, you're late on that loan we gave you." Its been suggested by psycho-linguists (at least I read about it in The Stuff of Thought, by Steven Pilker) that it's possible people are capable of believing their own plausible deniability.

I can only speak from personal guilt, but I know I've had a few times where I took a subtle jab at someone, and then after being called out, I tried to play it off because I was embarrassed by the situation. I so deeply wanted to believe I wasn't guilty -- and definitely to not be seen as such -- that a very real part of me believed my own scape-goat. I can't really condemn Thug, I mean it is frustrating to see a man suffering like this, surrounded by people claiming to worship a loving God who could heal him in an instant. That frustration can bleed out in two ways -- a genuine wish that he could be healed, while simultaneously mocking the ones you view as false healers who give false hope. So maybe he was taking a jab, but also wishing he could be healed, so the part that denies taking a jab is genuine, since that's the part wishing he could be healed. And I do share that frustration, sometimes I wish God would make problems vanish even in my own life.
---
Chess!
http://www.chess.com/members/view/KyleTS
#16ThuggernautzPosted 11/11/2013 8:37:08 AM
kts123 posted...
So maybe he was taking a jab, but also wishing he could be healed, so the part that denies taking a jab is genuine, since that's the part wishing he could be healed. And I do share that frustration, sometimes I wish God would make problems vanish even in my own life.

I genuinely wasn't taking a jab. :( It seems odd to me that it was interpreted as such, perhaps based on my past posting history, or the inclusion of jus' saying (which in hindsight seems flippant and snarky). For that, I apologize.

What's interesting to me was the immediate reaction from it, almost a guilty conscience reaction to the observation of inaction from God. And I'm not making a jab by that, merely an observation. If someone interpreted that as God being malicious or indifferent, perhaps that's an internal doubt arising, because that's not what I said nor what I was implying. Because I would imagine that even the most devout believers and unbelievers alike would surely agree it would be a fantastic miracle if God had healed the guy (And it's not without precedent, Biblically).
#17kts123(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 4:39:01 PM
Text conversations lack inflection, intonation, facial and body language, etc, so it's very easy to misinterpret what we say online. No biggie.
---
Chess!
http://www.chess.com/members/view/KyleTS
#18Julian_CaesarPosted 11/14/2013 10:11:13 AM
Thuggernautz posted...
What's interesting to me was the immediate reaction from it, almost a guilty conscience reaction to the observation of inaction from God. And I'm not making a jab by that, merely an observation. If someone interpreted that as God being malicious or indifferent, perhaps that's an internal doubt arising, because that's not what I said nor what I was implying. Because I would imagine that even the most devout believers and unbelievers alike would surely agree it would be a fantastic miracle if God had healed the guy (And it's not without precedent, Biblically).

Seriously? I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times you have expressed disbelief in God's power/existence, or even outright disdain for those who do believe in such things.

If you really didn't mean anything by what you said then I apologize. But I stand by my assertion that considering your posting history, what you said was best interpreted as a jackass move.
---
#19Julian_CaesarPosted 11/14/2013 10:11:31 AM
Thuggernautz posted...
I don't think it's jackassery to wish the guy would have been physically healed. Jus' saying.

I never said you were a jackass for that wish. I said you were a jackass for bringing up controversial religious beliefs in the first place.

kts123 posted...
And I do share that frustration, sometimes I wish God would make problems vanish even in my own life.

As do we all. But as many times as he has disparaged God's healing power (and power in general) in other topics, he would have a hard time convincing me that this was a harmless "wish." In the context of his usual posting style, it seems pretty clear that he was jabbing at those who believe God heals the sick.
---
#20ThuggernautzPosted 11/14/2013 11:39:58 AM
Now I'll take a jab. Judge not, lest ye be judged.

All I said was it would be cooler if God had healed the guy. I still think that. You projected a whole other layer of implication onto it which simply wasn't there in the text. Was that justified based on posting history? Probably, I can see that.