This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would Satan pretend to be God?

#1Valnor50Posted 11/10/2013 6:14:54 AM
I'm not sure if this ever happened in the bible, but why wouldn't he?
#2IndoriPosted 11/10/2013 7:54:42 AM
John warns that not all "spirits" or "prophets" are from God, so why not?
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#3Hustle KongPosted 11/10/2013 8:17:55 AM(edited)
When I was around 12, that idea really gave me a lot of trouble.

Not intending to condescend. That's just where my head was at at the time.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#4Valnor50(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 8:21:39 AM
Yea, it is pretty disturbing when you consider the possibilities. The extreme being that God has actually been Satan the whole time.
#5Faust_8Posted 11/10/2013 10:20:06 AM
Even the likes of OW has admitted that's perfectly possible, and impossible to tell if true.

Not that it affects what he believes though. A natural gambler, I guess.
---
I'm not against religion. I'm against all bad ideas, held for bad reasons, prompting bad behavior.
#6Hustle KongPosted 11/10/2013 10:35:17 AM
Do you live your life as if the world were real, even though it is perfectly possible that you are a brain in a vat, and impossible to tell if you arenít?

If so, you might want to think about disparaging him for essentially the same exact thing.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#7JonWood007Posted 11/10/2013 10:41:08 AM
I think it's theoretically possible given both exist. And being able to tell the difference between the two could be insanely difficult.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#8EzeDoesItPosted 11/10/2013 1:37:41 PM
What if God has pretended to be Satan? Whoa.

Like what if Satan doesn't actually exist; it's God's secret identity that he created to persuade humans to follow his command?
---
http://i.minus.com/ibq5dtkuP7NDIM.gif
http://i.minus.com/ibzW4LeLuR2Z2U.gif
#9Julian_CaesarPosted 11/10/2013 6:25:47 PM
Sure he would. The question is whether the person being deceived is versed enough in Scripture to discern between spirits of light and darkness.

Hehe...."versed."
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#10Julian_CaesarPosted 11/10/2013 6:38:30 PM
EzeDoesIt posted...
What if God has pretended to be Satan? Whoa.

Like what if Satan doesn't actually exist; it's God's secret identity that he created to persuade humans to follow his command?

If you really want to cook your noodle, think on this: even if that were actually true, does it affect whether our optimum behavior in this universe is to obey that command?

It seems absurd at first, but on deeper reflection it's a much more complex question. If that's the way God designed the universe, does the fact that "Satan" is a deception actually change whether you should obey Him or not?

And no, I don't have an agenda with this question. I've considered it in the past and concluded that we should still obey God, but this time I'm not so sure. I'm curious what you guys think. And yes...we can skip all the rigamarole of whether it's possible to know such a thing in the first place. Let's just assume Doctor Who told us :D
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.