This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

cyclonekruse's Annual Religion Board Census -- 2013 Edition

#1cyclonekrusePosted 11/11/2013 1:52:48 AM
It's November. That means it's time for football, turkey, elections, and religion board polls. So without any more fuss, I'll start with the usual disclaimers.

The following census is entirely voluntary. If a question makes you uncomfortable, feel free to skip it. I would also caution against revealing information that could identify you in real life.

I would like to also note that this is an unscientific poll (for reasons I'll get into in the results topic) and therefore not to be taken as gospel with regards to generalizing the results.

Here are this year's questions:

1. What is your age?
2. What is your sex?
3. Where are you from? (No need to be more specific than state/province.)
4a. Are you an atheist or a theist?*
4b. If an atheist, are you a weak atheist or strong atheist?
5. Are you agnostic or not?
6a. Do you follow a religion?
6b. If so, which religion?
7. Do you believe in life after death?
8. Do you believe that evolution is the best explanation we currently have for the diversity of life?
9a. Do you share the same religion (or lack thereof) as your parent(s)?
9b. Do you differ in your religion (or lack thereof) with one or both of your parents?
10. Do you believe in ghosts?
11. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the conviction you have in your religious position (1 being no conviction at all and 10 being absolute conviction)?
12. On a scale of 1-10, how much would you say your religious beliefs have changed over the course of your life (1 being not at all and 10 being a complete change)?
13. How long have you been visiting this Religion board?
14. Do you believe we have free will?
15. Are you a dualist or monist?
16. Finally, are you more of a Jedi or a Sith?

*For the purposes of this poll, deists are counted as theists and straight agnostics are counted as atheists.

Enjoy.
---
Locke: "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" || Jack "Why do you find it so easy?!" ||
Locke: "It's never been easy!"
#2cyclonekruse(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 1:58:26 AM
My answers:

1. 28
2. Male
3. Iowa
4. Theist
5. Agnostic
6a. Yes
6b. Christianity (Lutheran)
7. Yes
8. Yes
9a. Yes
9b. No
10. No
11. 2
12. 8
13. ~7.5 years, I believe
14. Yes
15. I'm gonna say dualist.
16. Jedi
---
Locke: "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" || Jack "Why do you find it so easy?!" ||
Locke: "It's never been easy!"
#3TheRealJiraiyaPosted 11/11/2013 2:06:58 AM
1. What is your age?
2. What is your sex?
M
Texas, Murka
Theist
I believe that it is possible to know that a god exists, but not that a god does not exist. Furthermore, I do not believe it is possible to know whether the attributes a god claims about itself are true or false.
Yes
Christianity
Yes
8. Do you believe that evolution is the best explanation we currently have for the diversity of life?
Yes
Yes
9b. Do you differ in your religion (or lack thereof) with one or both of your parents?
We have the same religion but our individual theologies differ
Yes.
11. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the conviction you have in your religious position (1 being no conviction at all and 10 being absolute conviction)?
Man, lately? 6.6.
12. On a scale of 1-10, how much would you say your religious beliefs have changed over the course of your life (1 being not at all and 10 being a complete change)?
Looking through my old private messages with LinkFanatic, he gave me his old account (TheGreatJiraiya) in June, 2009. So.. 5ish?
Yes.
I guess a dualist, a bit hazy on the definitions of these words but I feel 95% sure I am a dualist
Jedi
---
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" -Isaiah 6:8
#4IamvegitoPosted 11/11/2013 2:09:13 AM

1. What is your age?
2. What is your sex?

1. I am 22 years old. I will be 23 in January.
2. I am biologically male. I'd suggest changing this to "gender," though, to be more inclusive.
3. Ohio.
4a. I subscribe to process theology. So theist, somewhat.
5. Moderately. I don't claim to possess absolute truth, so... maybe.
6a. Kind of. Most other adherents wouldn't claim me.
6b. Christianity.
7. No, and if there is one, it isn't importnat.
8. Yes.
9a. ...Kinda. Not really.
9b. My mom is definitely theistic, but in a generic "spiritual" way with some prosperity gospel leanings. My dad was raised as a conservative Baptist, and still kind of clings to it, but I never hear him talk about God (unless I am, but he doesn't really argue, just disagrees) or want to go to church or anything. So, I guess I'm different.
10. No.
11. 10. I am a revolutionary because of the prophetic tradition.
12. 10. I've been an atheist, an agnostic, a fundamentalist, a Hindu, and a liberationist.
13. On and off for 3 years, mostly lurking.
14. Maybe. We at least have the illusion of it. Sam Harris is really convincing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCofmZlC72g#t=289
15. Monist (Panentheist).
16. Only a Sith deals in absolutes. Gray Jedi.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#5gamesrgreatPosted 11/11/2013 2:19:48 AM(edited)
1. 22
2. Male
3. Cali baby!
4a. Atheist
4b. Weak atheist
5. Yes, I am Agnostic
6a. No
6b. N/A
7. No
8. Yes
9a. No
9b. Yes
10. No
11. 10
12. 10
13. 6 years*
14. Yes**
15. Monist***
16. Sith****

* A guess. I can't remember the true length of time so this is a conservative estimate
**(I don't know how to answer this as I see it as almost irrelevant)
***(Haven't put a ton of thought into it)
****(Extremely tough question. You had me reading Star Wars wikis. I kinda don't wanna say Sith because it is the typical badass/rebel answer, but I do think their philosophy holds true to nature. However if I was actually in the Star Wars universe with Force powers I wouldn't be a true Sith or a true Jedi, but I'd be w/ the Dark Side enough for a Jedi to call me a Sith. I will probably give a more in depth answer later, especially if people start discussing it)

Not sure what the difference is between 9a and 9b 0_o
---
D-Jesus aka Flash aka 3, Christ Bosh aka the Prophet aka Raptor Jesus, King James 3:16 The Miami Heat 2012 and 2013 Champs
#6CS_Goodman_Posted 11/11/2013 2:45:26 AM(edited)
4a. Theist
5. I see no need for every question to have an answer.
6a. Yes (I quibble with the meaning of "religion," but for sake of your census, okay)
6b. Christianity
7. Yes. ("Existence" is inescapable, though nature thereof may vary)
8. In terms of the current science paradigm, sure.
9a. No.
9b. Yes.
10. I believe in the reality behind the word. Certainly.
11. 10
12. 10
13. Since ~ 2001. (Various accounts)
14. Yes; even that I'm presently demonstrating it.
15. Neither, per se. Monist definitely comes closest, though.
16. Something like Darth Vader working in Kroger...

?
---
The joke? death? impending? Well, why not? Ha! I'd make it on behalf of anyone. Still wondering "Where is your sting?" despite your joke resting on me
#7TheRealJiraiyaPosted 11/11/2013 2:41:25 AM
I cant help but think that if you are legitimately a 10 in your certainty in your stance on this particular subject, you must be doing something wrong.
---
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" -Isaiah 6:8
#8IamvegitoPosted 11/11/2013 2:44:15 AM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
I cant help but think that if you are legitimately a 10 in your certainty in your stance on this particular subject, you must be doing something wrong.

Certainty in uncertainty.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#9Moorish_IdolPosted 11/11/2013 2:59:45 AM(edited)
Yes! cyclone delivers again!

1. What is your age?

2. What is your sex?
Female

I never know if this question means to ask where I was born or where I live now. I was born in Eisenhüttenstadt of Brandenburg, Germany; lived in Minnesota, USA, for my teen years; currently live in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Theist (deist)

n/a

Agnostic

Not religious.

n/a

I believe in some kind of existence after death. Not sure if I'd call it "life". I'll say Yes for simplicity sake.

Yes

No

Yes. Both parents are Christian (Baptist).

No, but I've always been eager for an experience if they do exist.

8/10

9/10. Christian to angstheist to deist.

Two years of activity. A year of lurking / being a smartass before that, but I won't count that. Two years.

Yes... although I'd put limits on what "free" means. But again for simplicity sake, Yes.

Dualist

I feel like Code of the Sith is more realistic than the Jedi Code, so I'll say Sith. The Jedi Code has always felt to me that it works only in denial. The Code of the Sith embraces reality instead of picturesque ideals. Also the Sith look cooler.
I think SW is a case where the Jedi appear to be "better" just because they are (generally) the protagonists.
#10gamesrgreatPosted 11/11/2013 2:54:45 AM
TheRealJiraiya posted...

Well 2(?) years ago I put a 9. I didn't feel like putting a 9.9. Besides I said I'm agnostic and weak atheist anyways so I felt that was leaving the door open enough
---
D-Jesus aka Flash aka 3, Christ Bosh aka the Prophet aka Raptor Jesus, King James 3:16 The Miami Heat 2012 and 2013 Champs