This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

cyclonekruse's Annual Religion Board Census -- 2013 Edition

#21WhereDidItGoPosted 11/11/2013 7:47:37 AM
1. What is your age? 35
2. What is your sex? Male
3. Where are you from? Alabama
4a. Are you an atheist or a theist? Theist
4b. If an atheist, are you a weak atheist or strong atheist?
5. Are you agnostic or not? No
6a. Do you follow a religion? Yes
6b. If so, which religion? Christianity
7. Do you believe in life after death? Yes
8. Do you believe that evolution is the best explanation we currently have for the diversity of life?Yes
9a. Do you share the same religion (or lack thereof) as your parent(s)? Yes
9b. Do you differ in your religion (or lack thereof) with one or both of your parents? Yes, I am Catholic and my dad is a Protestant with fundamentalist views about much of Christianity.
10. Do you believe in ghosts? Probably not in the common sense
11. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the conviction you have in your religious position (1 being no conviction at all and 10 being absolute conviction)? 9
12. On a scale of 1-10, how much would you say your religious beliefs have changed over the course of your life (1 being not at all and 10 being a complete change)? 10
13. How long have you been visiting this Religion board? 5-6 years maybe? Much of it was just lurking, and I still don't post very regularly so it's hard to remember.
14. Do you believe we have free will? Yes
15. Are you a dualist or monist? I wouldn't identify as either
16. Finally, are you more of a Jedi or a Sith? No clue. Honestly I don't think I've even watched more than a few minutes of Star Wars. My nerdness was always in fantasy, with little interest in sci-fi
---
"The madman is not the man who has lost his reason. The madman is the man who has lost everything except his reason." - G.K. Chesterton
#22C_MatPosted 11/11/2013 7:48:37 AM
1. What is your age? 23
3. Where are you from? Joplin, Missouri, USA
4a. Are you an atheist or a theist?* theist
5. Are you agnostic or not? no
6a. Do you follow a religion? yes
6b. If so, which religion? Christianity
7. Do you believe in life after death? yes
8. Do you believe that evolution is the best explanation we currently have for the diversity of life? no
9a. Do you share the same religion (or lack thereof) as your parent(s)? yes
9b. Do you differ in your religion (or lack thereof) with one or both of your parents? no
10. Do you believe in ghosts? Depends on your definition of what a ghost is. I don't believe in the traditional view of ghosts, like deceased people roaming the earth in a spiritual body.
11. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the conviction you have in your religious position (1 being no conviction at all and 10 being absolute conviction)? 9. (10 in level of belief, 8 in action, so I guess that averages out to a 9).
12. On a scale of 1-10, how much would you say your religious beliefs have changed over the course of your life (1 being not at all and 10 being a complete change)? 3, maybe. I've always been a Christian, but my beliefs have gotten a lot stronger than I thought possible in the past few years.
13. How long have you been visiting this Religion board? About 2 years.
14. Do you believe we have free will? yes
15. Are you a dualist or monist? I looked up the definitions but still unsure.
16. Finally, are you more of a Jedi or a Sith? Jedi, and blue lightsaber.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#23ThuggernautzPosted 11/11/2013 8:07:42 AM(edited)
1. 27
2. Male
3. Gabon, Africa. Currently living in North America.
4a. Atheist
4b. Weak
5. Nope.
6a. Nope.
6b. N/A
7. Nope.
8. Yes.
9a. Nope.
9b. Yep.
10. Not presently.
11. 6
12. 8
13. 5+ years, I think?
14. Depends on 'free' I guess; we still have physical limits to our will so in that sense 'no'... but in terms of determinism, yes I think we have free will. So the answer will change depending on what angle you ask from (sorry for the ambiguity).
15. Monist.
16. Thanks to Moorish for showing me the path of the Gray Jedi.

Thanks!
#24IndoriPosted 11/11/2013 8:15:59 AM(edited)
cyclonekruse posted...
1. What is your age?

2. What is your sex?
Male

3. Where are you from? (No need to be more specific than state/province.)
Alabama, USA

4a. Are you an atheist or a theist?
Theist

5. Are you agnostic or not?
Not

6a. Do you follow a religion?
Yes

6b. If so, which religion?
Catholicism

7. Do you believe in life after death?
Yes

8. Do you believe that evolution is the best explanation we currently have for the diversity of life?
Yes

9a. Do you share the same religion (or lack thereof) as your parent(s)?
Yes, technically

9b. Do you differ in your religion (or lack thereof) with one or both of your parents?
Only in that they do not practice (unsure if that's a yes or a no)

10. Do you believe in ghosts?
I believe that ghosts/apparitions are possible, but I don't usually believe in the oogy-boogy kinds

11. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the conviction you have in your religious position (1 being no conviction at all and 10 being absolute conviction)?
9 (I occasionally have doubts, but they consistently fade)

12. On a scale of 1-10, how much would you say your religious beliefs have changed over the course of your life (1 being not at all and 10 being a complete change)?

13. How long have you been visiting this Religion board?
4+ years? On and off

14. Do you believe we have free will?
Yes

15. Are you a dualist or monist?
Skip (just not sure)

16. Finally, are you more of a Jedi or a Sith?
Jedi, and probably one of the Old Republic
Edit: With a blue lightsaber!
Edit2: And I'm a Wookiee! RRRGHRHGRHGHGH Who abuses Force Speed and uses Makashi for some reason!

---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#25rick alveradoPosted 11/11/2013 10:34:47 AM
1. What is your age? - 26
2. What is your sex? - Male
3. Where are you from? (No need to be more specific than state/province.) - Manitoba, Canada
4a. Are you an atheist or a theist?* - Atheist
4b. If an atheist, are you a weak atheist or strong atheist? - Weak atheist
5. Are you agnostic or not? - Yes, sort of
6a. Do you follow a religion? - No
6b. If so, which religion? - N/A
7. Do you believe in life after death? - No
8. Do you believe that evolution is the best explanation we currently have for the diversity of life? - Yes
9a. Do you share the same religion (or lack thereof) as your parent(s)? - No
9b. Do you differ in your religion (or lack thereof) with one or both of your parents? - They are both Christians
10. Do you believe in ghosts? - No
11. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the conviction you have in your religious position (1 being no conviction at all and 10 being absolute conviction)? - 10 (Just for clarification this doesn't mean I don't think I can be wrong about stuff, but the idea that I can be wrong is part of my position)
12. On a scale of 1-10, how much would you say your religious beliefs have changed over the course of your life (1 being not at all and 10 being a complete change)? - 10
13. How long have you been visiting this Religion board? - Pretty much since it started, although most of that is lurking
14. Do you believe we have free will? - No
15. Are you a dualist or monist? - Monist
16. Finally, are you more of a Jedi or a Sith? - Closer to Jedi, but I'm more of an independent contractor.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/RickAlverado
#26kozlo100Posted 11/11/2013 10:57:41 AM
1. 34
2. Male
3. California
4a. Atheist
4b. Weak Atheist
5. Agnostic
6a.No
6b. n/a
7. No
8. Yes
9a. No
9b. Yes, both.
10. No
11. 7
12. 8
13. 10ish years
14. Yes
15. Dualist, as I understand it anyway.
16. Jedi
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#27gamesrgreatPosted 11/11/2013 1:24:31 PM
Okay what does agnostic mean on this poll?
---
D-Jesus aka Flash aka 3, Christ Bosh aka the Prophet aka Raptor Jesus, King James 3:16 The Miami Heat 2012 and 2013 Champs
#28Moorish_IdolPosted 11/11/2013 1:38:38 PM
gamesrgreat posted...
Okay what does agnostic mean on this poll?

Are you referring to question 5? It's using "agnostic" as an adjective. An agnostic atheist or agnostic theist is someone who doesn't claim knowledge of the (non-)existence of God/s. They don't think such a thing can be known for a fact.

If you are referring to the OP clarification that straight agnostic will be considered atheist, that is more for easier statistical analyses later, and because a straight agnostic fits more with atheism (no active belief in a god) than it does theism.
#29DagorhaPosted 11/11/2013 1:56:44 PM
damn is it this time a year again? I'll post later tonight.
---
FC: 3282 2584 7270. Safari: Dark Type - Nuzleaf, Crawdunt and something else. PM me if you want me to add you
#30DarkContractorPosted 11/11/2013 3:49:58 PM
cyclonekruse posted...
It's November. That means it's time for football, turkey, elections, and religion board polls. So without any more fuss, I'll start with the usual disclaimers.

The following census is entirely voluntary. If a question makes you uncomfortable, feel free to skip it. I would also caution against revealing information that could identify you in real life.

I would like to also note that this is an unscientific poll (for reasons I'll get into in the results topic) and therefore not to be taken as gospel with regards to generalizing the results.

Here are this year's questions:

1. What is your age? 21
3. Where are you from? (No need to be more specific than state/province.) GA
4a. Are you an atheist or a theist?* Atheist
4b. If an atheist, are you a weak atheist or strong atheist? Strong
5. Are you agnostic or not? Nah
6a. Do you follow a religion? Everyone here seems to have different definitions of religion, but I attend several atheist meetups that are usually accompanied with a lecture from an atheist and I primarily go for the community. And the beer. Classify me as you like because I'm not sure if I should put yes or no.
6b. If so, which religion?
7. Do you believe in life after death? Nah
8. Do you believe that evolution is the best explanation we currently have for the diversity of life? Duh
9a. Do you share the same religion (or lack thereof) as your parent(s)? They're secular and apathetic, but I don't think they'd identify as atheists.
9b. Do you differ in your religion (or lack thereof) with one or both of your parents? I think so. I have reasons for believing what I do that differ from there's, at least.
10. Do you believe in ghosts? No
11. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the conviction you have in your religious position (1 being no conviction at all and 10 being absolute conviction)? 9
12. On a scale of 1-10, how much would you say your religious beliefs have changed over the course of your life (1 being not at all and 10 being a complete change)? 3, unless we're counting my half year evangelical phase I had last year, in which case 10. Otherwise I've always been an atheist.
13. How long have you been visiting this Religion board? A little over a year.
14. Do you believe we have free will? No
15. Are you a dualist or monist? Monist
16. Finally, are you more of a Jedi or a Sith? Sith

*For the purposes of this poll, deists are counted as theists and straight agnostics are counted as atheists.

Enjoy.