This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

cyclonekruse's Annual Religion Board Census -- 2013 Edition

#41gamesrgreatPosted 11/12/2013 3:17:03 AM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
BronyFriendzoni posted...
gamesrgreat posted...
Okay what does agnostic mean on this poll?

Yeah, the line of questioning is really confusing.

Are you referring to question 5? It's using "agnostic" as an adjective. An agnostic atheist or agnostic theist is someone who doesn't claim knowledge of the (non-)existence of God/s. They don't think such a thing can be known for a fact.

If you are referring to the OP clarification that straight agnostic will be considered atheist, that is more for easier statistical analyses later, and because a straight agnostic fits more with atheism (no active belief in a god) than it does theism.

Oh, well that's....goofy.

If by "goofy" you mean "the way the word has been used on this board by almost every poster in the many years Ive been here with only a few people objecting" and by "really confusing" you mean "only tripped up two people in a 38 post thread" I suppose it is "goofy" and "really confusing"

It only tripped me up because of other people's answers. I assumed correctly at first
---
D-Jesus aka Flash aka 3, Christ Bosh aka the Prophet aka Raptor Jesus, King James 3:16 The Miami Heat 2012 and 2013 Champs
#42BronyFriendzoniPosted 11/12/2013 6:37:45 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#43BronyFriendzoniPosted 11/12/2013 7:01:08 AM
TheRealJiraiya posted...

If by "goofy" you mean "the way the word has been used on this board by almost every poster in the many years Ive been here with only a few people objecting"

It's goofy that the entire message board is getting their terminology confused, yes.

and by "really confusing" you mean "only tripped up two people in a 38 post thread" I suppose it is "goofy" and "really confusing"

see below

gamesrgreat posted...

It only tripped me up because of other people's answers. I assumed correctly at first

It's actually probably *more* than 2 people then
#44ThuggernautzPosted 11/12/2013 7:05:25 AM
We've been over this a million times. The majority of this board (and the internet at large, from what I've seen) uses the terms as described. You and ARS can go cry about it in a corner, but in this thread it's wildly off topic, so please go create a new topic about it that I can ignore.
#45BronyFriendzoniPosted 11/12/2013 7:25:48 AM
Thuggernautz posted...
We've been over this a million times. The majority of this board (and the internet at large, from what I've seen) uses the terms as described. You and ARS can go cry about it in a corner, but in this thread it's wildly off topic, so please go create a new topic about it that I can ignore.

I don't know who ARS is, but you're still using the words wrong no matter what.
#46BronyFriendzoniPosted 11/12/2013 7:34:47 AM
It doesn't matter if the whole world uses the word "theory" to mean "hypothesis" If you're discussing science, you don't do that. If you're talking about religion/philosophy, you better use the terms the right way, not the way some philosophically ignorant neckbeard misunderstood them to mean.
#47the_hedonistPosted 11/12/2013 7:37:24 AM
Brony, would you please redirect this discussion here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/263-religion/67804798
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#48BronyFriendzoniPosted 11/12/2013 8:04:41 AM
Thuggernautz posted...
We've been over this a million times

Protip: If you've been over it a million times, you're doing something wrong. Learn what words mean.
#49JonWood007Posted 11/12/2013 10:16:06 AM
cyclonekruse posted...
It's November. That means it's time for football, turkey, elections, and religion board polls. So without any more fuss, I'll start with the usual disclaimers.

The following census is entirely voluntary. If a question makes you uncomfortable, feel free to skip it. I would also caution against revealing information that could identify you in real life.

I would like to also note that this is an unscientific poll (for reasons I'll get into in the results topic) and therefore not to be taken as gospel with regards to generalizing the results.

Here are this year's questions:

1. What is your age?
2. What is your sex?
3. Where are you from? (No need to be more specific than state/province.)
4a. Are you an atheist or a theist?*
4b. If an atheist, are you a weak atheist or strong atheist?
5. Are you agnostic or not?
6a. Do you follow a religion?
6b. If so, which religion?
7. Do you believe in life after death?
8. Do you believe that evolution is the best explanation we currently have for the diversity of life?
9a. Do you share the same religion (or lack thereof) as your parent(s)?
9b. Do you differ in your religion (or lack thereof) with one or both of your parents?
10. Do you believe in ghosts?
11. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the conviction you have in your religious position (1 being no conviction at all and 10 being absolute conviction)?
12. On a scale of 1-10, how much would you say your religious beliefs have changed over the course of your life (1 being not at all and 10 being a complete change)?
13. How long have you been visiting this Religion board?
14. Do you believe we have free will?
15. Are you a dualist or monist?
16. Finally, are you more of a Jedi or a Sith?

*For the purposes of this poll, deists are counted as theists and straight agnostics are counted as atheists.

Enjoy.

1) 25
2) male
3) Pennsylvania
4) Weak atheist
5) Yes, agnostic
6) No
7) No
8) Yes
9) I differ, they are Christian
10) No
11) 8
12) 10
13) Regularly for about 1.5 years (since my deconversion from Christianity), but I've actually been posting on here since 2004-2005 (I was on cotton before they even made a religion board, that's how far back I go)
14) On paper, yes, in practice, no.
15) Monist I guess
16) Neither. I like the ideals, but dislike the hierarchy of the jedi (seems too churchy in practice), but I dislike the sith's approach to things. I'm more in Han Solo's camp.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#50KNessJMPosted 11/12/2013 10:58:16 AM
1. What is your age?

2. What is your sex?

Male

3. Where are you from? (No need to be more specific than state/province.)

Portland, OR, USA

4a. Are you an atheist or a theist?*

Atheist

4b. If an atheist, are you a weak atheist or strong atheist?

Strong atheist

5. Are you agnostic or not?

Yes, on many things

6a. Do you follow a religion?

Sort of

6b. If so, which religion?

My spiritual pursuits combine elements of Buddhism, Taoism and Greek Stoicism, as well as touches of Secular Humanism. For the purposes of simplicity, you can consider me mostly in line with Soto Zen Buddhism.

7. Do you believe in life after death?

I'm entirely agnostic on the matter. Who knows?

8. Do you believe that evolution is the best explanation we currently have for the diversity of life?

Yes

9a. Do you share the same religion (or lack thereof) as your parent(s)?

Kind of, in that both parents have general leanings towards Eastern philosophy, but neither are explicitly religious

9b. Do you differ in your religion (or lack thereof) with one or both of your parents?

I tend to be more active in my spiritual/philosophical/religious pursuits than my parents. They're both entirely irreligious.

10. Do you believe in ghosts?

No

11. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the conviction you have in your religious position (1 being no conviction at all and 10 being absolute conviction)?

12. On a scale of 1-10, how much would you say your religious beliefs have changed over the course of your life (1 being not at all and 10 being a complete change)?

10 (I've spent time as a Christian, a Neo-Pagan, an irreligious atheist, and now this blend of stuff)

13. How long have you been visiting this Religion board?

Off and on for close to 10 years

14. Do you believe we have free will?

I don't know. I also don't know if it's possible to determine whether we do or not.

15. Are you a dualist or monist?

Monist.

16. Finally, are you more of a Jedi or a Sith?

Jedi, I suppose. I don't like to cause harm, nor do I crave power. Plus Jedis seem pretty down with the whole Taoist thing.
---
Quote of the Week: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't prove that anything is real."