This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Atheist mega churches popping up all over the U.S.

#1Polish_CrusaderPosted 11/11/2013 9:44:38 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/atheist-mega-churches-root-across-us-world-214619648.html

Further validates my theory that atheism is becoming a theology. Or atleast increasingly being practiced like a theology.

Post thoughts.
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#2Polish_Crusader(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 9:48:50 AM
LOL! just read in the article, the whole "humanist congregation" was founded by british comedians. So are they admitting they their beliefs are all one big joke?
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#3IvashankoPosted 11/11/2013 9:51:53 AM
...So? A few hundred people create a community in which we can hope they thrive. I see nothing bad or wrong here.
#4EastsideslingerPosted 11/11/2013 9:54:15 AM
Polish_Crusader posted...

Further validates my theory that atheism is becoming a theology. Or atleast increasingly being practiced like a theology.

Post thoughts.

So what if that was the case? Are you jealous? Envious even? Or is it that you believe you can't have a community of people trying to spread feel good message without screaming "I-it's a religion!"
---
"That's Mushy Snugglebites' badonkadonk. She's my main squeeze. Lady's got a gut fulla' dynamite and a booty like POOOW!" - Tiny Tina
#5JonWood007Posted 11/11/2013 10:05:56 AM
Eastsideslinger posted...
Polish_Crusader posted...

Post thoughts.

So what if that was the case? Are you jealous? Envious even? Or is it that you believe you can't have a community of people trying to spread feel good message without screaming "I-it's a religion!"

Basically the latter. Christians LOVE to try to turn anything that people like that isn't Christianity into "religion". I've even heard it taught in church that if you skip church on sunday to watch football, football is your "god". If a group of atheists gather, it's suddenly "religion".

As for atheism becoming a "theology", let me explain this one.

I'll admit, there are a lot of atheists with herd mentality, with group think. They think they're free thinkers and talk about science and progress, but honestly, just follow the herd. You see this a lot on r/atheism, how sometimes people keep upvoting the same posts that have been discredited 10x now.

HOWEVER, atheism, in itself is not a religion. It's a single idea. Moreover, atheists on the large generally don't agree. You have the r/atheism crowd, you have people like Kozlo and HK who are more chill about it, you have people who are agnostic atheists, people who are gnostic atheists, people who are dumb, and people who are informed. You have these atheism+ people who are often radical feminists and all, etc.

Quite frankly, if anything brings most atheists together, it's the idea that there is no doctrine, that people are free to disagree, that we don't get our ideas from a single authority. We don't get our ideas from the God delusion like Christians do from the Bible. We don't listen to Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens like Catholics listen to the pope. There's no central authority, no hierarchy, just people exchanging ideas. As I said, I admit the community can get an awful herd mentality at times, I admit a lot of people really aren't as free as they claim to be, but honestly, to claim it's religion is a bit of a stretch.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#6Polish_Crusader(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 10:13:06 AM
Ivashanko posted...
...So? A few hundred people create a community in which we can hope they thrive. I see nothing bad or wrong here.

Never said anything wrong with it. Just like with persecution topics- just pointing out the news and opening up discussion about it. I think this is a bit hilarious if you think about it.
---
#7TheRealJiraiyaPosted 11/11/2013 10:14:55 AM
I have two opposing reactions.

The first reaction is that Christians gain a lot by being plugged into a social group of like minded people in various social and economic positions, and that this is, therefore, helpful to atheists who still want to belong to a community.

My second reaction is that it will probably foster the more rabid and religious varieties of atheism, and that is unfortunate.
---
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" -Isaiah 6:8
#8IvashankoPosted 11/11/2013 10:15:05 AM
Wood is correct. Atheism itself is not an ideology, just like theism is not an ideology (though both are stances on religion). However, what many add on to their belief in theism and even atheism (looking about atheism in the Soviet Union, North Korea, or parts of China indicate this well is ideological. For example, the belief that if religion is destroyed humanity would be better is certainly akin to the belief that if one does not sin God will bless them, or the idea that the Romans converted to Christian to better control their subjects (even a little knowledge disproves this), or the idea that the Church is what held back science during the Dark Ages (instead of, say, the barbarian invasions) is akin to Christian, Jewish, or Islamic views on their own history.

Note that I use the word 'ideology' very deliberately, mostly because I dislike the debate over what exactly makes up a religion.
#9BronyFriendzoniPosted 11/11/2013 10:51:18 AM
Ivashanko posted...
Wood is correct. Atheism itself is not an ideology, just like theism is not an ideology (though both are stances on religion). However, what many add on to their belief in theism and even atheism (looking about atheism in the Soviet Union, North Korea, or parts of China indicate this well is ideological. For example, the belief that if religion is destroyed humanity would be better is certainly akin to the belief that if one does not sin God will bless them, or the idea that the Romans converted to Christian to better control their subjects (even a little knowledge disproves this), or the idea that the Church is what held back science during the Dark Ages (instead of, say, the barbarian invasions) is akin to Christian, Jewish, or Islamic views on their own history.

Note that I use the word 'ideology' very deliberately, mostly because I dislike the debate over what exactly makes up a religion.

good post
#10AynRandySavagePosted 11/11/2013 11:32:48 AM
If you look at the people who call themselves atheists, then there really are some patterns that you can glean. It's not to the point that I'd call atheism a religion, but it is becoming very much a dogma.