This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Atheist mega churches popping up all over the U.S.

#21Dr Edward RoivasPosted 11/11/2013 4:24:15 PM(edited)
No matter what they do, their Xian countrymen will give the same "bleh" reaction. I think lots of people will say: "Satan's biggest display of depravity is that which seems pure". Checkmate atheists.

Anyway, I consider myself an atheist, but a movement like this can't really go far unless they find general answers to things like: What is the nature of human existence really like, what are the ways in which theism may intrinsically hurt society, how can you effectively build up secular moral ability in others, what should we try to love most, how do we deal with superstitious feelings besides burying them...stuff that can satisfy the sort of things which a church might.

Being very free-form is also good, but it's also easy to chuckle at by those who see it as completely misguided.
---
A real squid? That's even worse than an illusion! Where's my shotgun?
#22IvashankoPosted 11/11/2013 4:26:45 PM
There are Buddhists, Taoists, Jainists, and Confucianists, among others, who would disagree with you about that.

The mass majority of all of the above religions have Gods, though...

Anyways atheism cannot be a religion in my opinion, but as I stated earlier it can be an ideology
#23DarkContractorPosted 11/11/2013 6:59:53 PM
I'm quite confused on what theology means in this context. I'm helping start up the Sunday Assembly in Georgia, even procured the venue-to-be over the weekend, and I would certainly not consider it to be theological in anyway. Please enlighten me.
#24BronyFriendzoniPosted 11/11/2013 9:40:46 PM
I'm not surprised. In our secular society, people just don't get the point of religion. People think it's all about "community" and "innoffensive Christian rock". It's not. Religion is hard. American Christianity is basically McReligion. Churches want to fill as many seats as possible so they get as much money in the collection plate as possible. True religion isn't about inclusivity, it's about telling the truth.
#25kts123Posted 11/12/2013 11:33:06 AM(edited)
It's going to be adorable to see "church problems," in the atheist congregations. Oh gracious, what color shall we paint the new nursery? Is that 'rousing music' appropriate for our kids? How should such and such ideology be presented during the 'inspirational talk?' No no, that inspirational talk should be more educational! Should the rousing music be interactive, or performance oriented? Let the rousing music wars begin! Someone slept with the rousing music leader's wife. Blah blah. Lets start our own denomination!

Welcome to church problems, atheists. Enjoy your stay, and remember, no inspirational talker can give inspirational talks 52 weeks a year without saying something you disagree with.

=P Oh goodies, this is fun!

Maybe we can have intercongragational service, Christians and atheists. We'll lead worship, you guys can lead rousing music.
---
Chess!
http://www.chess.com/members/view/KyleTS
#26KNessJMPosted 11/12/2013 11:43:39 AM
Ivashanko posted...
There are Buddhists, Taoists, Jainists, and Confucianists, among others, who would disagree with you about that.

The mass majority of all of the above religions have Gods, though...

Anyways atheism cannot be a religion in my opinion, but as I stated earlier it can be an ideology

Sort of. There are many mystical beings in Buddhism and Taoism (the two examples with which I'm most familiar), but they lack a central creator being. Many Western practitioners of Buddhism and Taoism are indeed atheists. In Buddhism, belief in a God or gods is left up to the individual to determine for themselves. In Taoism, the concept isn't really relevant.
---
Quote of the Week: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't prove that anything is real."
#27DarkContractorPosted 11/12/2013 12:27:07 PM
kts123 posted...
It's going to be adorable to see "church problems," in the atheist congregations. Oh gracious, what color shall we paint the new nursery? Is that 'rousing music' appropriate for our kids? How should such and such ideology be presented during the 'inspirational talk?' No no, that inspirational talk should be more educational! Should the rousing music be interactive, or performance oriented? Let the rousing music wars begin! Someone slept with the rousing music leader's wife. Blah blah. Lets start our own denomination!

Welcome to church problems, atheists. Enjoy your stay, and remember, no inspirational talker can give inspirational talks 52 weeks a year without saying something you disagree with.

Maybe we can have intercongragational service, Christians and atheists. We'll lead worship, you guys can lead rousing music.

Actually the new York Sunday assembly already had a schism. The godless congregation then formed because they thought their was too large of a focus on humanism and not enough on atheism. Pretty funny that that happened
#28EastsideslingerPosted 11/12/2013 1:13:08 PM
kts123 posted...

While true, the one advantage an atheist church could have is there is no expectation to hold some standard of piety so any church drama wouldn't be nearly as shocking when you are seen out of character (unless that was the sort of imagine you set up for yourself).
---
"That's Mushy Snugglebites' badonkadonk. She's my main squeeze. Lady's got a gut fulla' dynamite and a booty like POOOW!" - Tiny Tina
#29kts123Posted 11/12/2013 2:57:03 PM(edited)
While true, the one advantage an atheist church could have is there is no expectation to hold some standard of piety so any church drama wouldn't be nearly as shocking when you are seen out of character (unless that was the sort of imagine you set up for yourself).

No no no. Just let me roll around in the sheer silliness of our common humanity.

Hey you guys should have people paint and dance during rousing music. It's pretty fun to mix the arts during service. Plus it helps everyone else chillax when there's someone clearly crazier than them running around up front. Just don't let it cause a, uh, congregation split. That happens. Too crazy for some of the peeps.

Oh rainbows, you people need to hurry up and have your Pentecostal equivalent splinter group. I want to go and run around throwing color.
---
Chess!
http://www.chess.com/members/view/KyleTS
#30EastsideslingerPosted 11/12/2013 3:21:03 PM
kts123 posted...

No no no. Just let me roll around in the sheer silliness of our common humanity.

Hey you guys should have people paint and dance during rousing music. It's pretty fun to mix the arts during service. Plus it helps everyone else chillax when there's someone clearly crazier than them running around up front. Just don't let it cause a, uh, congregation split. That happens. Too crazy for some of the peeps.

Oh rainbows, you people need to hurry up and have your Pentecostal equivalent splinter group. I want to go and run around throwing color.

Oh fine, I won't spoil your fun. I expect no less that if there are two or three such speakers (pastors? What would you call them?) eventually tribalism kicks in and next thing you know have of the church picks up and leaves following their preferred speaker and typically after some kind of behind the scenes falling out over such topics as who gets to pick the songs or how come you never swing by and help clean up the place or why are you in iting these people to speak here?

You know what? It's more trouble than it's worth to have an atheist church.
---
"That's Mushy Snugglebites' badonkadonk. She's my main squeeze. Lady's got a gut fulla' dynamite and a booty like POOOW!" - Tiny Tina