This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Americans are losing their religion

#11Hustle KongPosted 3/13/2014 1:16:54 PM
Lol, 20% of a population being "not a significant number"
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#12imhungry24-7Posted 3/13/2014 2:53:16 PM
epictetus1216 posted...
I thought about posting that link myself. Then I thought, nah, too obvious, too easy.

I apologize. I just had to.
---
"Whoah! Where's my Dingus?" -Finn the Human
#13Julian_CaesarPosted 3/13/2014 5:00:43 PM
Hustle Kong posted...
Lol, 20% of a population being "not a significant number"

In Polish's defense, he did clarify it as a comparison to Europe, which is far less religious (overall) than America.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#14rick alveradoPosted 3/13/2014 6:56:32 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
In several european countries, 97% of the population dont attend church or practice chrsitainity, period. THAT is a significant number.

The USA is noticeably more christian than most developed nations, and God has blessed us for that, for we are also the richest in terms of the individual.

1 out of 5... means nothing at this point

What do you mean by richest in terms of the individual?
---
http://ericbarkman.tumblr.com/chronohustle - My short story series about a time traveling con artist.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RickAlverado - My YouTube.
#15JonWood007Posted 3/13/2014 9:42:41 PM
Well...lemme put it this way, when you have a crisis of faith, and you actually demand things like solid evidence for your beliefs and people fail to deliver, people lose their faith.

Millennials aren't stupid. We are the internet generation. We have more information at our fingertips than anyone else at any other point of time so far. it's becoming increasingly hard to BS us, or to control information. We can factcheck you, we can call out your claims. We can educate ourselves...arm ourselves with knowledge. We are also one of the most educated generations of all times, which allows us to become more skeptical of religion. in college, they teach you to believe what you want, but always have a reason for your beliefs. If Christianity does not offer people a reason to believe, many people may very well leave. This whole "evidence" thing I keep going on about? It's becoming more important to some people.

Appeals to faith, misinformation, etc. don't sway people as often any more. I spect things to only get more secular. In about 50-100 years, we will look a lot like PC described Europe as looking. Europe lost it's religion VERY quickly, and millennials are nose diving in their trust in religion compared to previous generations. Life cycle effects don't account for the loss of faith either.

To be fair, I don't think a lot of people who are losing faith are necessarily becoming atheists..a lot of them are experimenting with "spirituality." Although honestly, the fact that nearly 3/10 millennials have doubts about the existence of God, we could see more atheists in the not so distant future.

Curiosity kills the cat.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#16epictetus1216(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2014 4:41:52 AM
I don't think that's it, JonWood. I'm sure people were just as skeptical of a man walking on water or virgins giving birth centuries ago as they are now. It's just become more socially acceptable to voice your doubt. They won't burn you at the stake or ostracize you as was once the case.
#17The_Zora_KingPosted 3/15/2014 4:06:22 PM(edited)
JonWood007 posted...
Well...lemme put it this way, when you have a crisis of faith, and you actually demand things like solid evidence for your beliefs and people fail to deliver, people lose their faith.

Millennials aren't stupid. We are the internet generation. We have more information at our fingertips than anyone else at any other point of time so far. it's becoming increasingly hard to BS us, or to control information. We can factcheck you, we can call out your claims. We can educate ourselves...arm ourselves with knowledge. We are also one of the most educated generations of all times, which allows us to become more skeptical of religion. in college, they teach you to believe what you want, but always have a reason for your beliefs. If Christianity does not offer people a reason to believe, many people may very well leave. This whole "evidence" thing I keep going on about? It's becoming more important to some people.

Appeals to faith, misinformation, etc. don't sway people as often any more. I spect things to only get more secular. In about 50-100 years, we will look a lot like PC described Europe as looking. Europe lost it's religion VERY quickly, and millennials are nose diving in their trust in religion compared to previous generations. Life cycle effects don't account for the loss of faith either.

To be fair, I don't think a lot of people who are losing faith are necessarily becoming atheists..a lot of them are experimenting with "spirituality." Although honestly, the fact that nearly 3/10 millennials have doubts about the existence of God, we could see more atheists in the not so distant future.

Curiosity kills the cat.

Something I like is that even if the country isn't full-blown atheist, young Americans are less religious. A more secular society is always better. Something like very blue states: A majority of people might still be Christians, but religion doesn't dominate society the same way it does in the very red South.

Interesting stories from NPR

http://www.npr.org/series/169065270/losing-our-religion
---
Si usted entiende esto, diga "Veo la luz!"
Enjoy writing? Contribute to Extend-a-Story! - http://www.sir-toby.com/extend-a-story/
#18SSj4WingzeroPosted 3/15/2014 10:23:05 PM
Are many Americans really losing their religion, or are those who never really cared about it in the first place more willing to admit it? I never got the feeling that Americans are any more or less religious than they have been in the past in recent years, it's more about how many people who've never given a flying **** about religion can finally admit that they're atheists and have always found church to be stupid. Which I think is a good thing - nobody should be pressured into believing something they don't want to.
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
#19The_Zora_KingPosted 3/15/2014 10:41:32 PM
SSj4Wingzero posted...
Are many Americans really losing their religion, or are those who never really cared about it in the first place more willing to admit it? I never got the feeling that Americans are any more or less religious than they have been in the past in recent years, it's more about how many people who've never given a flying **** about religion can finally admit that they're atheists and have always found church to be stupid. Which I think is a good thing - nobody should be pressured into believing something they don't want to.

I'm sure there are less religious people because there is more information out there to deconvert them. It was through the internet that I discovered Atheism existed, that there is no conclusive evidence of God, that Christianity is just one of many religions rather than the truth, and was able to hear arguments against God.

When I talk to older people, especially my parents, they do confirm that people are indeed less religious than they once were. Less is surrounded around the Church. The church has less respect than it once did. Atheists being allowed to be open with their belief means non-Christian views are more acceptable.
---
Si usted entiende esto, diga "Veo la luz!"
Enjoy writing? Contribute to Extend-a-Story! - http://www.sir-toby.com/extend-a-story/
#20SSj4WingzeroPosted 3/16/2014 1:48:09 AM
But religiosity is something very difficult to measure, especially since what's inside someone's heart can be very different from what someone does on the outside. Someone might say that people back in the day weren't as religious - but how can you tell how religious people were back then? Is it just because more people went to church or church events? Because I can tell you that not everyone who goes to church actually wants to be there...many do it simply not to be excluded. Those are the people who aren't really that religious in the first place but still know to show up.
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?