This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Americans are losing their religion

#31mikmalotPosted 3/18/2014 7:58:02 AM
I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, as clergy, it's uncomfortable because less people in the pews=less job security. Since I've spent my entire adult life working toward being clergy, it's not like I can just go out and be an accountant.

On the other hand, I think Christianity could stand to be knocked down a few pegs. Ideally this would end the overwhelming voice of the religious right. Since Constantine Christianity has been tied up with government power, which has had a corrupting influence. If Christianity became the minority in America, one of two things would happen: a) Christians would go back to the roots of their faith in humility or b) the remaining Christians would shift even further to the right. Sadly, I think option b) is more likely.

Finally, to say that God has "blessed" Americans for being more faithful is factually inaccurate and theologically offensive.
---
Descartes is sitting in a bar, having a drink. The bartender asks him if he wants another. "I think not," he says and vanishes in a puff of logic.
#32Wandering__HeroPosted 3/19/2014 3:58:37 AM
mikmalot posted...
I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, as clergy, it's uncomfortable because less people in the pews=less job security. Since I've spent my entire adult life working toward being clergy, it's not like I can just go out and be an accountant.

On the other hand, I think Christianity could stand to be knocked down a few pegs. Ideally this would end the overwhelming voice of the religious right. Since Constantine Christianity has been tied up with government power, which has had a corrupting influence. If Christianity became the minority in America, one of two things would happen: a) Christians would go back to the roots of their faith in humility or b) the remaining Christians would shift even further to the right. Sadly, I think option b) is more likely.

Finally, to say that God has "blessed" Americans for being more faithful is factually inaccurate and theologically offensive.

This is why atheists need to focus there fire on the "religious" right and not play pointless head games like WESTBORO BAPTIST IS THE ONE TRUE CHRISTIANITY(I've seen this ****, even on the "amazing" atheists channel).

Its like saying this guy is the one true Atheist http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/in-this-moment-i-am-euphoric
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
#33DarkContractorPosted 3/19/2014 12:14:43 PM
Amazing atheist hardly ever says anything seriously
#34Wandering__HeroPosted 3/19/2014 1:31:25 PM
DarkContractor posted...
Amazing atheist hardly ever says anything seriously

It was a guess speaker who was dam serious and had a disturbing amount of people agree with her.
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/