This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Approach to religions and worldviews

#21Dathrowed1Posted 3/16/2014 12:32:48 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Believe it or not I'm actually trying to HELP you market Christianity, as an ex-Christian here. You can rag on me for hating Christianity all you want or something, but the truth is, you guys really DO need a little tough love to understand how to connect to nonChristians. How do you expect to connect to nonChristians if you approach nonbelievers from your bubble perspective? No, you need to understand what actual nonChristians think if you want to be convincing to us. If you don't understand me, you can't convince me. And the fact that you guys think I'm just hating on Christianity shows you have no clue how nonbelievers think. I have a hint for you...you're not gonna find the answer in the Bible or talking to other believing Christians!

JWs are doing just fine teaching reaching non-Christians. A former president was actually an atheist before he was a JW.
---
sig
#22JonWood007Posted 3/16/2014 12:39:44 PM(edited)
With all due respect...what KIND of atheist? There's a major difference between an atheist who literally had no or at least weak opinions on the subject at hand, and someone who is well educated on the subject at hand and has come to a much different opinion. Is it even relevant to the current generation, which is the subject of debate? We're seeing an unprecedented amount of doubt among young people nowadays.

Heck, care to link me on this matter so I can look into it myself? Googling isn't giving me any decent results.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#23Dathrowed1Posted 3/16/2014 12:59:18 PM
You can make a new topic for all of that man
---
sig
#24Hustle KongPosted 3/16/2014 2:17:19 PM
That president probably didn't even take a college course on religion!!
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#25Julian_Caesar(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2014 2:26:50 PM
Hustle Kong posted...
That pop Christianity really suffers from like, a lack of authenticity. I can’t really put it any better, but I think we’re talking about that same thing.

And this was much more succinctly put :D
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#26Julian_Caesar(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2014 2:28:44 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
I think these volunteering Christians are actually the best part of the religion. And if I were to ever reconvert, it'd likely be because of the actions of people like them.

Yeah, I think my example was poor. I was trying to illustrate the difference between feeding the 5,000 and being the 5,000, or at least sharing in their problems.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#27OrangeWizardPosted 3/16/2014 2:41:08 PM(edited)
Maybe you should stop coming to my door?

Believe it or not I'm actually trying to HELP you market Christianity

So which is it, are you trying to help us, or stop us?

By the way, when I hear "I'm not interested" when I go knock on people's doors, I usually ignore that and treat it as "come back in six months". What WILL get me to stop coming to your house is if you say "don't come back".

So say that next time.

It's a terrible tract. It makes a lot of sense if you're a believer who already reveres the Bible and takes it at its word, but it comes off as a form of "bubble evangelism" to us nonbelievers

To a nonbeliever. I've already explained that this tract is not meant for nonbelievers, and I've already explained how we couldn't have known you were a nonbeliever.

You guys can't even understand ME.

Like I said, we tried, but you said you weren't interested. You can't both want us to understand you and want us to have nothing to do with you at the same time. Make up your mind.
---
The head is backwards.
The head is backwards
#28Moorish_IdolPosted 3/16/2014 2:47:04 PM
Julian_Caesar posted...
Moorish_Idol posted...
I think these volunteering Christians are actually the best part of the religion. And if I were to ever reconvert, it'd likely be because of the actions of people like them.

Yeah, I think my example was poor. I was trying to illustrate the difference between feeding the 5,000 and being the 5,000, or at least sharing in their problems.

Yeah, I get what you mean.

As long as they don't pretend to know exactly how the people who they are serving feel, I think it's all good.
#29JonWood007Posted 3/16/2014 3:33:03 PM

So which is it, are you trying to help us, or stop us?

Stop in terms of me, help in terms of others. I say stop in terms of me, because I already have tried to pump you guys for evidence, and you do not want to cooperate. If you, who I have shared so many debates in 500 topics, can't convince me, what help do your door to door salesmen have? I also know that your tracts are flat out wrong and misleading. That being said, I want nothing to do with you unless you can provide some straight up solid evidence, ever.

That is not to say I am trying to discourage you from reaching others, please stop being intentionally dense, when you act like this I really have to wonder if you're actual serious or just pulling my chain so to speak. Only reason I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here and answering you honestly is because I know from experience where you're coming from. I understand that Christianity creates a form of reality distortion (which is this bubble I speak of) that makes people more...dense in terms of trying to connect with people. I know this because as a Christian I was that dense, and I have to say I am embarrassed I was ever like that now that I am a nonbeliever.

By the way, when I hear "I'm not interested" when I go knock on people's doors, I usually ignore that and treat it as "come back in six months". What WILL get me to stop coming to your house is if you say "don't come back".

Except that we're trying to be polite and civil here. When people tell you they're not interested, here is what is going on. Some people hate being marketed to. If they want to buy a product, they will come to you. If they want to join a religion, they will come to you. However, we don't wanna flat out be rude and tell you to "**** off" or something like that, so they instead tell you "sorry, I'm not interested." This is not code for "come back in six months." This is code for "go away." By making me flat out tell you to go away, you're asking me to be...well...rude. You should also recognize, if you do push the subject and come back, that if people tell you multiple times they're not interested, and never respond to events you invite us to, and never let you in, that this DEFINITELY means not interested.

The only reason you should come back is if the people who told you they were not interested have moved out.

Are you really asking me to break civility and to be blunt with people rather than trying to be more polite?

To a nonbeliever. I've already explained that this tract is not meant for nonbelievers, and I've already explained how we couldn't have known you were a nonbeliever.

If we were already believers...then why the **** would you come to my house?! Isn't the point of your pioneering to make believers? To convert people to your ranks? Are you trying to steal people from other denominations? How do you know they view the Bible the same way you do? Why even send anything at all if you don't know where we stand?
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#30sthaterPosted 3/16/2014 3:48:52 PM(edited)
OW would you say that's a general rule of thumb amongst JWs or just some personal guideline? Because if so that actually is rather... illuminating. Although I guess since last summer I am fully aware of anyone who comes to my door at all so if I don't want to speak to them I can just not answer the person if I don't recognize them :|

edit: The rule of thumb being the 6 month thing if someone is simply "not interested"
---
We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.