This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Approach to religions and worldviews

#31OrangeWizardPosted 3/16/2014 3:49:21 PM(edited)
sthater posted...
OW would you say that's a general rule of thumb amongst JWs or just some personal guideline? Because if so that actually is rather... illuminating. Although I guess since last summer I am fully aware of anyone who comes to my door at all so if I don't want to speak to them I can just not answer the person if I don't recognize them :|

edit: The rule of thumb being the 6 month thing if someone is simply "not interested"

It's a general rule of thumb, as far as I know.

And even if you say "don't ever come back", we'll eventually come back, since we recognize that people move, die, change, etc.

Jon posted...
" By making me flat out tell you to go away, you're asking me to be...well...rude.

I didn't say that you should be rude or tell people to "go away". I suggested that you could as "do not come back" to your regular dismissal. It's entirely possible to ask that people not ever visit you again without being rude .

If we were already believers...then why the **** would you come to my house?!

Because not being a nonbeliever doesn't mean that you're a Jehovah's Witness.

---
The head is backwards.
The head is backwards
#32sthaterPosted 3/16/2014 4:15:24 PM
Hmm well that is interesting to know. How long are you supposed to wait to come back if someone says "don't ever come back'? Or is there even a specified amount of time that you are supposed to wait?
---
We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
#33OrangeWizardPosted 3/16/2014 4:22:04 PM
sthater posted...
Hmm well that is interesting to know. How long are you supposed to wait to come back if someone says "don't ever come back'? Or is there even a specified amount of time that you are supposed to wait?

I don't remember. At least a year or two
---
The head is backwards.
The head is backwards
#34KNessJMPosted 3/16/2014 4:38:34 PM
I found an interesting page that relates to this topic. Biblegateway.com is one of the most-used sites for looking up Bible verses on the internet. They recently posted a list of the top 100 most frequently searched verses. In my eyes, this is very significant, in that it seems to represent the verses that are likely most commonly used and posted online.

This has the effect of identifying the type of messages that are commonly associated with Christianity online. Not surprisingly, nearly all of the verses are positive messages about salvation, God helping believers, love for one another, encouraging faith in hard times, that sort of thing. This tells me that the main image of Christianity on the internet (at least among English speakers) is the type of message that OP described in the first post.

Anyway, here's the list: http://www.biblegateway.com/blog/2009/05/the-100-most-read-bible-verses-at-biblegatewaycom/

Also, one interesting thing...

SSj4Wingzero posted...
Yeah, I mean, I think even a cursory read of the Bible can pretty much reveal that you probably shouldn't expect God to give you wealth or treat you well. It basically says that followers of Jesus will be persecuted and that rich men can't enter the kingdom of God, so I'm wondering how that gets transformed into the prosperity gospel or the feel-good gospel so common in America nowadays.

Ps 37:4: Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.

So we see here one of the most commonly quoted verses is directly saying that the Lord will give you whatever you want. And that's just one of many similar verses on this list.

Almost all of these quotes, really, are the type of thing that the prosperity gospel preachers focus on. Have faith, be a good Christian, and God will bless you and you'll have happiness and prosperity and all your heart's desires will be fulfilled. This list may be an indication of how popular this interpretation of Christianity is.
---
Quote of the Week: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't prove that anything is real."
#35JonWood007Posted 3/16/2014 6:01:32 PM

I didn't say that you should be rude or tell people to "go away". I suggested that you could as "do not come back" to your regular dismissal. It's entirely possible to ask that people not ever visit you again without being rude .

What if you consider "don't come back" to be rude?

Because not being a nonbeliever doesn't mean that you're a Jehovah's Witness.

But it could mean you already have a church you're happy with and aren't likely interested in converting.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#36OrangeWizardPosted 3/16/2014 6:26:05 PM
JonWood007 posted...

What if you consider "don't come back" to be rude?
Then you have no spine and waive all rights to complain that people keep coming back.
---
The head is backwards.
The head is backwards
#37SSj4WingzeroPosted 3/17/2014 4:37:07 AM
KNessJM posted...
Ps 37:4: Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.

So we see here one of the most commonly quoted verses is directly saying that the Lord will give you whatever you want. And that's just one of many similar verses on this list.

Almost all of these quotes, really, are the type of thing that the prosperity gospel preachers focus on. Have faith, be a good Christian, and God will bless you and you'll have happiness and prosperity and all your heart's desires will be fulfilled. This list may be an indication of how popular this interpretation of Christianity is.

Yeah, I mean, only if you ignore the "delight yourself in the Lord" part, though.

Plus taking that verse to mean that God gives you whatever you ask for is pretty silly just by looking at historical context. Or are the modern-day Christians just believing that the followers of Christ killed by Diocletian just didn't pray as hard as Joel Osteen's audience?
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
#38kts123Posted 3/17/2014 6:07:49 AM
Give us EVIDENCE for your worldviews. Don't give us excuses, appeals to faith, rationalization, or other forms of evasion of the big (lack of an) elephant in the room. What EVIDENCE is there to convince people of Christianity. WHY should we be Christian?

God chose to do that one thing that really pisses you off -- put intellectuals on the same ground as children. Your smart, educated happy butt is on equal footing with everyone else before God. At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. - Matthew 11:25. Until you get off your intellectual Internet-net-age-super-generation high horse, you won't ever see God. I strongly suggest you come off the high horse yourself, because God's methods are not the most pleasant. I'm speaking from experience.
---
Chess!
http://www.chess.com/members/view/KyleTS
#39JonWood007Posted 3/17/2014 8:38:59 AM
I came across this. It was relevant to my original point 1-2.

http://www.readthespirit.com/ourvalues/millennial-adults-leaving-religion-due-to-lgbt-conflicts/

Stop politicizing religion, stop hating on gay people.

ANYWAY, now to address KTS:

God chose to do that one thing that really pisses you off -- put intellectuals on the same ground as children. Your smart, educated happy butt is on equal footing with everyone else before God. At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. - Matthew 11:25. Until you get off your intellectual Internet-net-age-super-generation high horse, you won't ever see God. I strongly suggest you come off the high horse yourself, because God's methods are not the most pleasant. I'm speaking from experience.

The fact that Christianity does not cater to intellectuals is why I write it off as a bunk religion. You literally need to fall to certain mental tricks like confirmation bias to make it work. And then it justifies and glorifies anti intellectualism.

Verses like those are a form of populism. It's a lot like what Michelle Bachman said the other day in terms of the republican party. It's an "intellectual" movement, but at the same time, we'll never get those "smart college educated" people on our side.

It's basically a populist trick to make the masses feel important. Don't fall for it. Any method that relies explicitly on anti intellectualism to succeed is most likely a "false prophet" so to speak. They're most likely trying to trick you, and to deceive you.

You say coming to terms with God's methods aren't pleasant, but I'll say neither is realizing the truth, and the truth is Christianity is one big mind game. See the comment I posted in that other topic not long ago about the brainwashing involved. There was once a time where I thought nothing to convince me Christianity was false....but all you really need to do is THINK about it hard enough, and notice all the inconsistencies and cracks and the like. This is why Christianity encourages people not to think.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#40kozlo100Posted 3/17/2014 8:41:12 AM
One of my Christian friends is sort of bouncing around churches right now, trying to find a good fit for her. It's not just the music, but that is one aspect. She finds that style of music and the type of worship that typically goes with it gimmicky and kind of false. Almost like they're trying to trick her into worshiping, which she doesn't want. She just wants a church where she can go and worship like a normal person, and be treated like a reasonable adult.

I don't think she's likely to give up entirely, but I can see a stretch of not going to church in her future if it happens that she can't find a church like that soon.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.