This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Approach to religions and worldviews

#51Moorish_IdolPosted 3/17/2014 1:15:11 PM
DarkContractor posted...
i love it when kts testifies.

he takes it so seriously but everything he says is just hilarious

I like his posts.
#52JonWood007Posted 3/17/2014 1:15:53 PM

-This isnt really specific, so its a lot harder to respond. I dont know who fred phelps is, and i havent watched pat robertson in years. A simple solution to this is stop going crazy over televangelists. I dont watch any of them, because everything they say i can find in the bible and already have. Televangelists is not a significant representation of american christians because theres so many of them and all of them have their little niche areas (like joel osteen in the houston area). This isnt as big of a deal as #1 or #3 are.

You have to understand. When you have loons claiming to represent God, it hurts your cause.

-This is by far the overused cliche punchline by the modern day non believer. I deleted the other stuff cuz its just rambling. Anyway, there is a ton of evidence to support the God of the bible, you just have to pursue it for yourself.

I did, there is no valid evidence.

He is not going to send angels to whip us with chains to make us do things.

Why not, doesn't he send you to the evil burny place if you don;t?

Thats not how God works, He even says so.

Let's get this straight. "He" never said anything. People did. And honestly, if I wanted to make a scam that couldn't hold up to legitimate means of finding truth, I'd attempt to discredit those means, which is exactly what Christianity does. Christianity breeds anti-intellectualism if you take it too literally. Because it literally comes down to "ignore science, ignore logic, ignore signs, ignore wisdom, just trust us." That sounds like a scam to me.

. As for direct evidence, there is not enough page space, but there is historical evidence, circumstantial evidence, and the best of all miracles.

Once again, no, there's not.

There is thousands of testimony's on miracles, me, my mom, hundreds of youtube videos.

Yet none are scientifically verified...
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#53Polish_CrusaderPosted 3/17/2014 1:17:27 PM
4) The internet. People can fact check in ways we have not seen before. THe internet is literally a second printing press. While the first printing press led to the reformation, the internet is killing religion. It really is. Preachers no longer have a monopoly on truth.

-This is outright false. The internet and radio and television are boosting the gospel and spreading the gospel in ways never thought imaginable. Its all over youtube, look it up. Look up FEBC (far east broadcasting). Thousands of testimonies of people converting over hearing a hopeful and inspiring message over the radio or internet or both. This is literally the exact opposite of whats going on spiritually in the world. Im surprised JonWood posted this as a point.

5) Education. More people are going to college and ever before, and let's face it, critical thinking is a problem religions have to deal with, and something they've been awful at doing so far. See #3.

-Ok, this is about the third cliche punchline that you've made so far- "lets fact is, critical thinking is a problem religions have to deal with". No, not at all. My step mom and real mom both have masters degrees, and they are both serving in their churches. There are atleast 10-30 christian colleges all over the united states, probably more. When you make a blanket statement similar to "educated people leave christianity" you have to back it up with facts. Which really arent there. I can name just as many educated people that are building their faith in Christ as you can name that left the faith (a majority of my educated christian family), if not MORE. It really depends on the individual if they decide to place college education against their biblical knowledge instead of with their biblical knowledge.

I think the absolute biggest problem with Christianity is it's bubble mentality. And no offense, but you portray this somewhat just asking the questions you do. people leaving christianity has nothing to do with it being hip or not hip.

-There is a lot of truth here. God says he does not change (as far as his standards). Trying to blend in with the inconsistent yet popular pop culture is not really good for the gospel. I listen to christiran rap not because im trying to be hip, but because rap and certain rock is my favorite kind of music. I dont need to be hip. I just simply dont care what people think of my christian beliefs. I have my reasons, i have my evidence, miracles are the hippest and cool thing in the world!

Because this has no bearing on whether christianity is TRUE or not. It doesn't matter if christianity is the most boring as heck worldview there is, that has nothing to do with whether it's TRUE. Making Christianity "cool" does not answer the question of whether christianity is relevant, or true. If you want more people to be christian, go out there, and tell us why we should be christian. What EVIDENCE is there to convince people of Christianity. WHY should we be Christian?

Very true. Thats why i tell people to focus on truth, righteousness, and miracles to find the truth about God. However you messed up one key thing- its not the believers responsibility to "convince" you that God exists, per se. People believe by hearing and seeing and feeling. It is a personal race. The christians job is to present the gospel in whatever way (preaching, actions, music, etc.), the rest is up to the individual non believer. God warns us about mindless arguements. This board is full of them.

In the end- If you want to know God, you have to find him BY YOUR SELF.
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#54Hustle KongPosted 3/17/2014 1:25:10 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
DarkContractor posted...
i love it when kts testifies.

he takes it so seriously but everything he says is just hilarious

I like his posts.

Same here.

kts is one of those rare types whose posting is not negatively impacted by a conversion from one religious position to another.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#55Polish_CrusaderPosted 3/17/2014 1:30:21 PM

You have to understand. When you have loons claiming to represent God, it hurts your cause.

-You also have to understand, that christians do not live by what loons say. We live by what the bible says. If someone says on tv that everyone will turn into a purple lollypop on June 7th, 2014, does that mean he represents all of christianity? No, not at all. Only the bible trully represents christianity. So i blame the non believer for taking stock in some guy on tv who makes claims that are not in the bible. Thats not my problem for being the dummy, thats the dummy who listens to the dummy.

I did, there is no valid evidence.

-No, you didnt. I heard your story of deconversion, or atleast the important parts. You treated God like a genie in the bottle over a certain someone (wont say who). God does not operate that way. God tells us how to get his favor- fasting, repenting and giving thanks before prayer, tithing at EVERY increase (anything that makes you increase is considered tithable). Only then will God seriously consistently answer prayers. Im fairly confident that you really didnt do those. Or atleast consistently.

Why not, doesn't he send you to the evil burny place if you dont?

-No, because that would take away free will. I was reffering to earthly evidence/encounters. When in hell there is no turning back.

Let's get this straight. "He" never said anything. People did. And honestly, if I wanted to make a scam that couldn't hold up to legitimate means of finding truth, I'd attempt to discredit those means, which is exactly what Christianity does. Christianity breeds anti-intellectualism if you take it too literally. Because it literally comes down to "ignore science, ignore logic, ignore signs, ignore wisdom, just trust us." That sounds like a scam to me.

-No, lets get it straight, "He" did say something and "He" said a lot. People only wrote what God told them to write. If you want to find the true God, you have to play by his rules. A relationship with God is not a science experiment. It is a relationship. Relationships do not operate like science because what works for one does not work for the other. Same thing with believers from different cultures around the world.

Once again, no, there's not.

-Yes there is. Otherwise, i wouldnt know it.
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#56Polish_CrusaderPosted 3/17/2014 1:30:29 PM
Yet none are scientifically verified...

-Yes they are. One of Angelica Zambranos videos is where she is passed out dead on the bed while having a vision, then she wakes up. Look it up.

Again, God is not a science experiment. Using scientific methods to find God will come up empty for you. Play Gods rules to get to God. I know this is hard for you to understand. But it sounds like that is the basis for this topic- you complain about not understanding the existence of a God, but you are unwilling to do what it takes to find Him.
---
#57Dathrowed1Posted 3/17/2014 1:39:33 PM
Jon vs. Polish, this is going to be hilarious
---
sig
#58Polish_CrusaderPosted 3/17/2014 1:45:31 PM
Dathrowed1 posted...
Jon vs. Polish, this is going to be hilarious

My name is Jon too. So its Jon vs. Jon. lol.

But seriously though, nothing hilarious about it. What's the point in complaining about something if you dont do anything about it, then make a plea on the internet: "YOU HAVE TO CONVINCE ME WITH EVIDENCE"

Me: What evidence are you looking for?

Nonbeliever: uhh... (blank face, stumped at illogical circles of their own statements)
---
#59JonWood007Posted 3/17/2014 1:50:05 PM

-This is outright false. The internet and radio and television are boosting the gospel and spreading the gospel in ways never thought imaginable. Its all over youtube, look it up. Look up FEBC (far east broadcasting). Thousands of testimonies of people converting over hearing a hopeful and inspiring message over the radio or internet or both. This is literally the exact opposite of whats going on spiritually in the world. Im surprised JonWood posted this as a point.

And atheists have the same access to those means. That is unprecedented, as in the west christians used to practically have a monopoly on such things.

-Ok, this is about the third cliche punchline that you've made so far- "lets fact is, critical thinking is a problem religions have to deal with". No, not at all. My step mom and real mom both have masters degrees, and they are both serving in their churches. There are atleast 10-30 christian colleges all over the united states, probably more. When you make a blanket statement similar to "educated people leave christianity" you have to back it up with facts. Which really arent there. I can name just as many educated people that are building their faith in Christ as you can name that left the faith (a majority of my educated christian family), if not MORE. It really depends on the individual if they decide to place college education against their biblical knowledge instead of with their biblical knowledge.

Fair enough, but I notice most educated christians also compartmentalize their thought processes and lives to a degree.

-There is a lot of truth here. God says he does not change (as far as his standards). Trying to blend in with the inconsistent yet popular pop culture is not really good for the gospel. I listen to christiran rap not because im trying to be hip, but because rap and certain rock is my favorite kind of music. I dont need to be hip. I just simply dont care what people think of my christian beliefs. I have my reasons, i have my evidence, miracles are the hippest and cool thing in the world!

Having hundreds of denominations doesn't help either.

-You also have to understand, that christians do not live by what loons say. We live by what the bible says. If someone says on tv that everyone will turn into a purple lollypop on June 7th, 2014, does that mean he represents all of christianity? No, not at all. Only the bible trully represents christianity. So i blame the non believer for taking stock in some guy on tv who makes claims that are not in the bible. Thats not my problem for being the dummy, thats the dummy who listens to the dummy.

The thing is the loons actually do what the Bible says more than the average believer.

-No, you didnt. I heard your story of deconversion, or atleast the important parts. You treated God like a genie in the bottle over a certain someone (wont say who). God does not operate that way. God tells us how to get his favor- fasting, repenting and giving thanks before prayer, tithing at EVERY increase (anything that makes you increase is considered tithable). Only then will God seriously consistently answer prayers. Im fairly confident that you really didnt do those. Or atleast consistently.

Minor part of the big issue. Had the evidence supported Christianity, it would not have mattered what the outcome was with that event, because I'd still have other reasons to believe.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
#60JonWood007Posted 3/17/2014 1:57:59 PM

-No, because that would take away free will. I was reffering to earthly evidence/encounters. When in hell there is no turning back.

Hell is a worse alternative than any sin anyone can commit. It is unjust by nature. I'd claim it was created by Christians who borrowed from greek traditions who while preaching pacifism spoke of their persecutors being tortured in various ways as a way to blow off steam and be passive aggressive.

Anyway, assuming it DOES exist, then God is a worse being than I, because I would not wish such things on my worst enemies, and from what I gathered as a christian, neither should any christian be in support. A loving God and an enteral hell are COMPLETELY incompatible.

But yeah, it really does bring up questions of why God gives us free will only to punish us for exercising it. It's irrational.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUtSM2oVy_E

-No, lets get it straight, "He" did say something and "He" said a lot. People only wrote what God told them to write. If you want to find the true God, you have to play by his rules. A relationship with God is not a science experiment. It is a relationship. Relationships do not operate like science because what works for one does not work for the other. Same thing with believers from different cultures around the world.

Now you're rationalizing. And you have no proof.

-Yes there is. Otherwise, i wouldnt know it.

If it's anything like you've already presented, you undermine your own testimony by ignoring that which doesn't agree with your perspective while waving around unreliable stuff that does favor it.
---