This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Approach to religions and worldviews

#91Polish_CrusaderPosted 3/18/2014 3:09:02 PM
JonWood007 posted...

Your worldview makes claims, it's up to you to demonstrate them. And you've tried, unsccessfully. You go on about prophecy when that has been debunked. You look at them finding "noah's ark" when that is a well known scam. You go on about angelica zambrano while ignoring every piece of evidence that does not coincide with your worldview.

I didnt make the claims. How many times do i have to tell you this? I dont have to demonstrate things that i did not claim to demonstrate. I offered to show anybody a miracle, one person responded (who i am in personal contact with right now). I did my part. You failed on your part, jwood.

You made the claims about not seeing evidence. When people tell you how and when to look for the evidence you complain and make excuses. Your so busy shifting the blame that you dont even think about your own posts.

I never said you were a bad person. I said you have false circular logic, and you tell people to be something that you are not- christlike.
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#92JonWood007Posted 3/18/2014 3:12:11 PM(edited)
Except your methods prove nothing. What part of this don't you understand?

"Miracles" occur at the rate of chance.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#93JonWood007Posted 3/18/2014 4:17:09 PM
If you wanna know why the whole miracle thing is so important, you have to understand this web page.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/god5.htm

In order for a miracle to be recognized as such, it needs to be extraordinary, and you need to be able to link it back to the causes you claim caused it (God). You CANNOT rely on natural phenomena. You must rule out the natural, more plausible explanations before relying on the supernatural ones. Most "miracles" including the ones I've experienced, have largely been convenient coincidences.They do not pass muster. They can be attributed to the natural, rather than the supernatural, and the ones that are supposedly supernatural and extraordinary often come down to hearsay. They've never been properly documented in a convincing way. It's like bigfoot or loch ness monster or UFO sightings.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
#94Moorish_IdolPosted 3/18/2014 4:34:58 PM
I am a millennial, nearly have my doctorate in marine biology, and my belief in God was largely influenced by philosophical discussions with an openly atheist cell biology professor.

I must be one hell of an outlier...
#95JonWood007Posted 3/18/2014 4:48:07 PM
Also, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but here's another link from that website I think is relevant. This is the page that ties the case for God not existing all together.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/god26.htm

How do we answer all of these questions?

Here is the thing that I would like to help you understand. If we assume that God exists, then each of these questions presents us with its own individual mystery. Each question creates a paradox that requires excuses, rationalizations and convoluted explanations. These paradoxes and rationalizations are extremely uncomfortable because they make no sense. If we assume that God exists, then God is ridiculous.

On the other hand, if we assume that God is imaginary, then all of these questions are very easy to answer. Our world makes complete sense.

What you realize, if you take the time to probe into your religion and think about it deeply, is that all of this evidence is telling you something important. It is telling you, clearly and concisely, that God is imaginary.

If you are a Christian, I realize that your immediate reaction may be to completely ignore what you have read here and turn away from it. Rather than turning away, however, I would ask you to examine all of the evidence that you have seen in this book. Think about the questions at the top of this page. Give your mind permission to understand what the evidence actually means. Allow your brain to analyze your religion rationally. What you will find is that all of this evidence points in the same direction: God is imaginary.

When I made the comment earlier that when I removed God from the equation, everything made sense, this is precisely what I mean. God created all kinds of problems. And these problems just led to more questions. Now, Polish might say that I'm acting like a spoiled brat throwing a tantrum for not getting my way with a certain issue I prayed over, but honestly, it's much deeper than that. My worldview was dysfunctional. And my belief was the source of the dysfunction. God created all kinds of problems that the worldview did not solve, and if anything the worldview imploded in on itself trying to answer these questions.

But, doing research, a pattern emerged. If I remove God from the equation, all of these questions that pose all of these individual mysteries and contradictions came into focus and led to a single conclusion. That God did not exist. That God had nothing to do with any problems I had, nor any triumphs. That the universe is larger than me, and much more indifferent. If you remove God from the equation, everything makes sense. Perfect sense. I have to go with the lack of evidence here.
---
#96kts123Posted 3/18/2014 6:54:33 PM(edited)
Polish hinted on it. You don't think you're the only one who has experienced heartbreak, do you?

Except for me, my religious attitudes made the situation worse because my worldview was irrational, dysfunctional, and full of all kinds of inconsistencies.

I went through a blame cycle after I was Christian, I went over every possible reason for why things must have gone south -- I was weird, I didn't work out enough, I wasn't a good enough Christian, I didn't let God have control, if it had worked out everyone would think I converted because of her, if only I had let God get me back before I met her, I was ungrateful to God, I didn't control my temper well enough, etc.

Blame is an ugly, deep pit. Don't let yourself go there.
---
Chess!
http://www.chess.com/members/view/KyleTS
#97JonWood007Posted 3/18/2014 11:04:17 PM
Too late, been there, done that, it was horrible. Would not do again. Thanks for your kind words though.
---
#98Polish_CrusaderPosted 3/19/2014 1:04:46 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
I am a millennial, nearly have my doctorate in marine biology, and my belief in God was largely influenced by philosophical discussions with an openly atheist cell biology professor.

You really are. Being led to God by atheists is the rarest form. I thought you were a non beleiver though?
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#99Moorish_IdolPosted 3/19/2014 1:36:40 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
Moorish_Idol posted...

You really are. Being led to God by atheists is the rarest form. I thought you were a non beleiver though?

Well, I'm not a Christian. So I guess you could consider me a non-believer.