This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In light of the Fred Phelp's excommunication and inevitable death..

#1EastsideslingerPosted 3/18/2014 5:42:04 AM
While I'm certainly not one to shed a tear for such a man and the organization he wrought into existence, one thing does bothered me and I was wondering if someone could supply some insight into this.

Whether you are Christian or not (or whatever faith you prescribe to) is it right, one way or the other, to wish someone goes to hell? Obviously I'm talking about the atypical description of hell where the cartoonish version of the devil dips you in boiling vats of tar and pokes you with his stick all the while. Even if the person did terrible things is it right to wish them to go to such a place?

I ask this seeing the myriad of comments where people gleefully wish for such a fate to people who rub them the wrong way.
---
"That's Mushy Snugglebites' badonkadonk. She's my main squeeze. Lady's got a gut fulla' dynamite and a booty like POOOW!" - Tiny Tina
#2ThuggernautzPosted 3/18/2014 5:57:16 AM
I don't wish it, but it has an amusing air of irony that someone who spent all his time telling people they were going to Hell would instead end up in that very place. Alas, I don't believe in Hell and it doesn't fit into my moral framework in any way; so I wouldn't call finding that thought amusing right or wrong in the first place.
#3mrplainswalkerPosted 3/18/2014 6:35:11 AM
I wouldn't wish that fate for anyone. Even People like Hitler, Dahmer, Stalin, etc did not commit an infinite amount of evil and therefore do not deserve infinite punishment. The only conceivable entity that might deserve such torment is the God of the bible. And also honorable mention to people who actually believe that such torment is just for the crime of not believing.
---
Failure to at least give this show a chance gives anyone you see the right to punch you in the face.
- Spiritclaw on Battlestar Galactica
#4C_MatPosted 3/18/2014 6:52:37 AM
As a Christian, I don't think you should ever wish someone to go there. Even the Christian God doesn't want anyone to go there.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#5Dathrowed1Posted 3/18/2014 6:59:24 AM(edited)
Ezekiel 33:11
Matthew 5:44
---
sig
#6epictetus1216Posted 3/18/2014 8:37:07 AM
Hate has no bounds. If I hated somebody deep enough there's no limit to the misery I would wish upon them. That's the way religion is. If you're a member of the tribe you're loved and heaven awaits you. Otherwise, you're hated and eternal damnation is yours.
#7JonWood007Posted 3/18/2014 8:50:05 AM
No one deserves hell. NO ONE. I don't care how bad you are. Finite sins don't deserve infinite punishment.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#8Hustle KongPosted 3/18/2014 8:51:05 AM
That's the way religion is.

You know better than to speak that sloppily! ;_;
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#9C_MatPosted 3/18/2014 9:08:52 AM
epictetus1216 posted...
That's the way religion is.

Not Christianity.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#10Moorish_IdolPosted 3/18/2014 11:12:52 AM
I don't wish Hell on him. That seems a bit excessive. But if such a place exists and he goes there, the only thing I can do is play the Price is Right fail tuba.

My honest belief is that he'll end up where I do, though, along with everyone else.