This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The term "deconversion"

#1Hustle KongPosted 3/18/2014 9:21:27 AM
There's something about the term that kind of bugs me, and it's hard to put into words.

Maybe it would make more sense if I tell how I think it is used appropriately.

If I convert to a religion, and then leave it, that would be to me the correct use of "deconvert".

If I was raised in a religion or system of thought, and abandoned it, it seems to me like the already extant word "apostasy" fits much better. It doesn't refer to a formal conversion that may have never happened.

It also seems like an unsubtle attempt to color their new position as somehow a "default" position. I may be off on that, but that's my gut talking.

This also might be my preference for "real" words over neologisms when there isn't a real use for it (cf. "herstory").
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#2ThuggernautzPosted 3/18/2014 9:38:57 AM
Mmm, I don't know. I consider being raised in that environment as converting. No-one is born versed in religious dogma.
#3OrangeWizardPosted 3/18/2014 9:40:58 AM
No-one is born versed in religious dogma.

Becoming "versed" in something equals a conversion?
---
The head is backwards.
The head is backwards
#4Hustle Kong(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2014 9:41:40 AM(edited)
Thuggernautz posted...
Mmm, I don't know. I consider being raised in that environment as converting. No-one is born versed in religious dogma.

No, but people don't typically apostatize for the formless void of infancy, either.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#5kozlo100Posted 3/18/2014 9:47:03 AM
Yea, I'm more with HK on this one. I didn't convert to Catholicism, I was just raised Catholic. That was more or less my start state as a thinking human, despite the fact that I necessarily wasn't Catholic as an infant.

I mean, I gained my early Catholicism the same way I gained my ability to tie my shoes and do arithmetic, but you wouldn't say I converted to shoe tying and mathematical culture.

Also, just in sort of a precision of language way, it does kind of irk me when people use 'decovert' as a synonym for 'convert away from'. I think apostasy is fine, or simply 'fell away' or some such, for the process of no longer holding a belief system.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#6PhoroPosted 3/18/2014 9:47:22 AM
OrangeWizard posted...
No-one is born versed in religious dogma.

He didn't say "something". He said "religious dogma".
---
What she asked of me, at the end of the day...
Caligula would have blushed.
#7kozlo100Posted 3/18/2014 9:51:32 AM
OrangeWizard posted...

That made me wonder if the two terms didn't contain the same origin and root words. 'Verse' and 'vert' being pretty similar. Turns out they don't. Totally different origins, but I thought it was neat.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#8Moorish_IdolPosted 3/18/2014 11:16:13 AM
If an atheist had been raised Christian, could we say that person converted to atheism?
#9Hustle Kong(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2014 11:20:19 AM
Eh. I'm not happy about that because one doesn't really convert to "theism", either. One could adopt a specific philosophy, and if still be wary about "convert" in that usage.

So if a Christian apostatizes and becomes a reductionist materialist, I wouldn't necessarily say they convert to it.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#10Moorish_IdolPosted 3/18/2014 11:41:13 AM
I see what you mean.

Personally I get "apostate" and "apostle" mixed up. It's easier for me to picture a "deconversion".