This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The term "deconversion"

#11The ApologistPosted 3/18/2014 11:53:07 AM
kozlo100 posted...
OrangeWizard posted...
Becoming "versed" in something equals a conversion?

That made me wonder if the two terms didn't contain the same origin and root words. 'Verse' and 'vert' being pretty similar. Turns out they don't. Totally different origins, but I thought it was neat.

According to Etymonline, both derive from Latin vertere, 'to turn'.
---
GameFAQs' best guitarist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY69_OpAklM
#12JonWood007Posted 3/18/2014 12:56:20 PM
Irrelevant to me. Seems like a massive semantics game.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#13kozlo100Posted 3/18/2014 1:07:04 PM
I stand corrected. Should've read a little further. I has 'versed' as versatus for busy or engaged, but apparently that, as you say, traces back to verere.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#14WelshGamer82Posted 3/18/2014 1:26:49 PM
I'd use "reversion", because unlike "deconversion", it's an actual word, but just let people call themselves whatever they want to IMO.

Personally, I'd just go with "conversion" for each change of belief whether it's previously held or not. I imagine people who use the terms above like to do so because they think it contains subtext that it's a superior or default belief. I say we just laugh at those people and move on.
#15kozlo100Posted 3/18/2014 1:32:53 PM
Eh, I'm probably being pedantic, but reversion still rubs me the wrong way. I didn't revert from Catholicism to atheism because I'd never been an atheist in any meaningful way before, and certainly not the kind of atheist I became. Can't revert to something you've never been.
---
#16WelshGamer82Posted 3/18/2014 1:38:45 PM
I didn't really mean I'd use it. Just if I was looking for a word with its definition, I'd say "reversion". I agree with you entirely, but to add to what you say, for me, "deconversion" has exactly the same negative connotations you describe. Hence why I'd just use "conversion" in all instances.
#17kozlo100Posted 3/18/2014 1:50:28 PM
To me, it just grates to hear. Sounds like someone saying 'irregardless' or 'I could care less'.

I can still parse your meaning easily enough, it just lets me know you're not being particularly careful with your words.
---
#18Hustle Kong(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2014 1:59:13 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Irrelevant to me. Seems like a massive semantics game.

Yes, because all discussion of what words mean is without any worth at all. Use whatever newspeak you choose.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#19Hustle Kong(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2014 2:03:21 PM
WelshGamer82 posted...
Personally, I'd just go with "conversion" for each change of belief whether it's previously held or not. I imagine people who use the terms above like to do so because they think it contains subtext that it's a superior or default belief. I say we just laugh at those people and move on.

That's exactly it, it seems like they're foregoing an existing and perfectly suitable word because of the reasons you state. It's a shady and obvious attempt at newspeak.

But it's easier to cry "semantics!" when the chicanery is brought up.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#20WelshGamer82Posted 3/18/2014 2:05:29 PM
kozlo100 posted...
To me, it just grates to hear. Sounds like someone saying 'irregardless' or 'I could care less'.

I can still parse your meaning easily enough, it just lets me know you're not being particularly careful with your words.

Which bit grates? Using "conversion" for each change in beliefs, or using "reversion" instead of "deconversion". I can't work out which bit you don't like.