This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there Biblical evidence for this idea of Hell?

#1toxicpiePosted 3/18/2014 10:53:00 AM
Can't remember the name (inb4it'scalledbull****), but it's the one that believes Hell is the willful seperation of the self from God, which one can escape by confession, repentance and accepting God/Jesus into the heart.
I'd love to believe this as it seems much more in line with an all-loving god and the type of kindness I believe in (if that makes sense) than "burn for eternity for your non-eternal sins".
---
Psalm 27:1
#2Polish_CrusaderPosted 3/18/2014 11:33:39 AM
If somebody rejected God their whole life, than their sins are "eternal" if you think about it. Cuz they rejected God with their whole earthly life. Our afterlife is based off of our earthly life actions.

There is no evidence whatsoever of a Hell we can get out of once we are there. Hell is a one way street. When your in, your in forever. If your not in, you wanna stay as far away as possibe.
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#3ThuggernautzPosted 3/18/2014 11:41:45 AM
Polish_Crusader posted...

There is no evidence whatsoever of a Hell

You can stop there.
#4DiScOrD tHe LuNaTiCPosted 3/20/2014 10:17:44 AM
One interpretation of Hell I always found intriguing was described by Lucifer in The Prophecy.

"Do you know what Hell really is, Thomas? Hm? It isn't lakes of burning oil or chains of ice. It's being removed from God's sight. Having His Word taken from you. It's hard to believe, so hard. I know that better than anyone."
---
"Jon Jones and Bendo just slaying mother f***ers in the name of the lord" -- MICHALECOLE
#5dataDyneSoldierPosted 3/21/2014 3:16:22 PM(edited)
Doesn't Jesus talk about Hell quite often? He refers to it as a very real place.
---
The Magical Mystery Tour is dying to take you away.
Dying to take you away, take you today.
#6Al-UzzaPosted 3/21/2014 3:42:40 PM

Smartest thing you've ever said.
#7toxicpie(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 4:15:49 PM
Found out it's called Universalism if any lurkers want to find out a bit more. :)
---
Psalm 27:1
#8Polish_CrusaderPosted 3/21/2014 6:16:52 PM
Al-Uzza posted...

Smartest thing you've ever said.

except i didnt say that...
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#9IvashankoPosted 3/21/2014 7:51:11 PM
There is evidence of a negative afterlife- but it is never called hell. Indeed, there are several terms used exclusively to describe several different afterlives. The words used are partly Aramaic and partly Greek, mostly because the earliest we have found are Greek (and the terms used were in the 'general' sense, so they do not seem to share any real similarities with the places found in Greek mythology)

Gehenna (where it seems like souls may be destroyed)
Tartarus (where demons are sentience)
Hades (a much more nebulous concept- the interpretation of Hades differs depending on the Christian denomination)
Sheol (Jewish Afterlife- again, a complicated subject)

I believe there is one other concept that is only mentioned once or twice, but I cannot recall it.
#10CS_Goodman_Posted 3/22/2014 10:08:17 PM(edited)
dataDyneSoldier posted...
Doesn't Jesus talk about Hell quite often? He refers to it as a very real place.

Actually, demonstrably

no.

And it would be nutritious to folks like Polish, CMatt, etc. to understand what is really going on in those passages.
---
Running through the alley into the melee up on the second the sundown