This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Mark Levin hangs up on "intolerant" atheist caller

#1JonWood007Posted 3/20/2014 5:30:04 PM
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/18/enraged-radio-host-mark-levin-hangs-up-on-atheist-guest-you-have-no-tolerance/

Aaand discuss.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#2Dathrowed1Posted 3/20/2014 5:32:25 PM
Tolerance these days only seems to be towards the easy way; the ones we are partial to
---
sig
#36SuperBowlRingsPosted 3/20/2014 6:16:53 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#4Moorish_IdolPosted 3/20/2014 6:59:06 PM(edited)
Well, it's his show, he can hang up on whoever he wants.

I don't really think his religious statements were that big of a deal. I've heard worse.

Now, him insisting "could care less" was the correct phrase... that was irritating.
#5C_MatPosted 3/20/2014 7:07:09 PM
The word "intolerance" needs to be retired. Almost nobody uses it correctly.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#6The-ApostlePosted 3/20/2014 7:07:31 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
Well, it's his show, he can hang up on whoever he wants.

I don't really think his religious statements were that big of a deal. I've heard worse.

Now, him insisting "could care less" was the correct phrase... that was irritating.

Maybe he meant that he could care less about something else. >_>
---
Next up on the Packers' hit parade: Upcoming 2014 Season! GO PACK GO!
http://www.penthius.info
#7epictetus1216Posted 3/20/2014 7:49:53 PM
The caller was right. It's "couldn't care less."
#8The-ApostlePosted 3/20/2014 7:57:58 PM
epictetus1216 posted...
The caller was right. It's "couldn't care less."

No, it's "I could care less." /Levin

>_>

<_<

*Runs*
---
Next up on the Packers' hit parade: Upcoming 2014 Season! GO PACK GO!
http://www.penthius.info
#9JonWood007(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2014 8:34:36 PM
I don't really think his religious statements were that big of a deal.

Eh, I disagree, and going back to the original podcast on his website, it's quite clear he derives his entire perspective from theism. The big shebang. Natural rights, natural law. His views on the constitution. Everything. Considering how much I disagree with his perspective, to me, it's kind of evidence of the theism behind the ideas he represents holding this country back. But I digress.

Anyway, I do have problems with his statements as well, having listened to the full context of the program. He said that America should be based on like 5 things, and one of those things was faith in God. As an atheist, this drives me nuts too. NO. We are a nation that should be neutral on matters of religion. You're free to express it, but you're not free to legislate it. He wants theism to be in the very fabric of the nation. He said explicitly he wants politicians who believe in God. This, to me, is discriminatory of atheists, considering how few people would vote for an atheist in this country, and how about 6 states bar atheists from running for office.

It disturbs me because having been a christian, and now being an atheist, and having been a religious conservative, and a mild religious liberal, and then a secular liberal, I can tell you, based on my own evolution...I think faith in government is disturbing. I think religion influencing policy is disturbing. I think our obsession with stopping gays from getting married and banning abortion is a problem. I also think conservative obsession with these issues is distracting people from the real issues. We need to solve poverty. We need to deal with the looming threat of global warming, and running out of unrenewable sources of energy. Because guess what, Jesus isn't coming back, he's not gonna make a utopia. If we're going to fix these problems, we need to do it ourselves!

In the conservartive mindset...once again...religion is a distraction, because, as mark levin mentioned on that program, his views are based on natural law. Which involves an inalienable right to property. Conservatives use such a right to argue against taxation and social programs, which help millions of people.

I have to say, being an atheist, as far as politics goes, has made me a better person. It has freed me from the distractions and constraints theism introduces...the black and white uncompromising morality that they adhere to. It's causing problems, and these problems require unconventional solutions that are not in line with that worldview.

So yes, you can bet I have a big problem with America based on faith..especially coming out of the mouth of a conservative. Because that amounts to the OW style of moral argument in which they just define their position as right, and all other positions wrong, PERIOD.

On a side note...wanna know why Rush Limbaugh denies global warming? Because he believes God would not create a world we can trash. This kind of thinking is dangerous, and not representative of the kind of America I want to live in.

Sorry if I am going on a massive rant here, I'm fired up after listening to several hours of talk radio. But honestly, no, I do not want us to be a country, institutionally based on faith in God. I want us to be based on logic and reason, and a sense of human betterment. We have problems in our society...and they're not going to be fixed with our current ideas...they're not gonna be fixed with mark levin's ideas. They can only be fixed if we apply critical thinking and free thought to our problems, and a rejection of "traditional values" in favor of a sense of human betterment.

This is not to say I'm intolerant. Once again, I believe in freedom of religion...but I do not believe America to be a religious nation per se.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
#10JonWood007(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2014 8:38:31 PM
But yeah, that was me on a literal soapbox there. I get fired up about these subjects. REALLY fired up.

But yeah, to clarify, don't confuse me of saying I'm against religious freedom, I'm not, I just don't believe that America should be governed by religious principles. Or that one's political perspective should masquerade as inalienable religious principles that we MUST follow. We need to be a country that governs based on what policies produce the best outcomes for humanity. We must follow the evidence. Think pragmatically, rather than on abstract principle.
---