This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does Christianity really spread the sheep mentalty?

#1HeroicSomaCruzPosted 3/20/2014 9:22:43 PM
That you listen because it's God's word and you don't question it. And because of that, people with those kinds of values are afraid to pursue logic and evidence, even when they're countered in scientific, spiritual, and ethical debates? Or why, for religion in general, people conform to a sheep mentality in fear of being punished or sent to their religion's equivalent of hell?
---
Follow me on Miiverse! NNID: OgnarPliskin
My Gameplay videos! Fighting Games, Nintendo, Dark Souls, and more. http://www.youtube.com/user/OgnarPliskin
#2JonWood007Posted 3/20/2014 9:35:01 PM
Depends. My grad school was catholic, but pretty forward thinking and had an emphasis on critical thinking and social justice issues. Ironically they were so forward thinking it eventually lead to me killing my faith. How ironic.

On the other hand, some forms of Christianity are very sheep minded.

It ultimately depends on what form of christianity you're referring to. I will mention I think forms of the religion that adhere more strictly to the dogma have such a mentality, while the more compartmentalized liberal denominations that encourage more free thought don't. That being said, I think it has to do with how fundamentalist it is...the fundamentals of the religion are what encourage the mentality...actually following the stuff leads to the mentality. Some denominations of christianity are basically what the fundies refer to as "sunday christians", or as being "worldly."

Honestly, my grad school....despite being christian..was very open minded to critical thinking and free thought...they didn't take the Bible that seriously...and quite frankly...I found many, amny cracks between what was taught and what the Bible said. So take that what you will. I dont think Christianity is that strong when you encourage critical thinking in questioning...without a good dose of compartmentalization...it just implodes in on itself like it did with me. Stronger versions of christianity....those that adhere more closely to the Bible...definitely. the definitely discourage anti intellectualism. They'll refer to it as worldly knowledge, and have the populist message of making the adherents think they're smart by shunning intellectualism in general.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#3FingerpuppetPosted 3/20/2014 9:53:59 PM
Yes. If people start their lives and continue their lives accepting that something is true without really questioning it, then they are a part of the herd and the actor is spreading the sheep mentality.
---
http://i.imgur.com/kubEx.jpg
^^If you do not have an open mind, then I have nothing to discuss with you.
#4Lord_IchmaelPosted 3/20/2014 9:55:38 PM
Yes, although to what extent varies depending on denomination and individual differences between people within said dominations. Anything that teaches you it is bad to question or want proof for claims is going to give a sheep mentality at least in some ways.
---
3DS: 1779-0958-5275 Pokemon Y IGN: Ichmael
Member of the Official Good Trader/Cloners/Breeders/Non-Scammers Guild
#5Wandering__HeroPosted 3/21/2014 1:30:37 AM
Jesus at no point instructed his followers to wage war against science. God gave use reason and intellect and to disregard that would be akin to burying your talents in the backyard, something Jesus preached against.

Also the thought process require to reach Right Wing Christianity from Jesus teachings is the same kind you need to think Animal Farm was about glorifying communism.
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
#6CoyoteTheGreatPosted 3/21/2014 6:38:33 AM
"Stronger versions of christianity....those that adhere more closely to the Bible...definitely. the definitely discourage anti intellectualism. They'll refer to it as worldly knowledge, and have the populist message of making the adherents think they're smart by shunning intellectualism in general."

This is laughably untrue. More often than not these people don't adhere to the bible at all with their weird interpretation. "Rapture-ready" evangelicals are a good example of a "stronger" (read: more fanatical and evangelical) form of Christianity that completely pulls many key elements of their faith straight out of their ass rather than the bible itself.

The bible is such a complicated, obtuse and dated book that it can't even be seriously attempted to adhered to -without- intellectualism and scholarship.
---
Disobedience is the stamp of the hero. -Ragnar Redbeard
Also, this is Kagata.
#7RogerTritonHOPEPosted 3/21/2014 7:32:35 AM
Jesus clearly was a zealot, a religious icon in the making, a revolutionary, a teacher, a friend, a (future, if allowed to be) father, a brother, a hippie, a thinker, and no one could say He would ever spread the idea of sheepdom.

Contrasted with today's American Christianity, he would clearly walk right into their church and kick over the DVD table shouting something along the lines of "Take these things away; do not make my Father's house a house of trade."
---
Je suis celui qui va appeler l'ange dans le ciel pour declencher l'Armageddon. Bande de roulement legerement. Greatness Awaits!
http://i.imgur.com/Xp2xw6e.png
#8JonWood007Posted 3/21/2014 8:21:48 AM
The bible is such a complicated, obtuse and dated book that it can't even be seriously attempted to adhered to -without- intellectualism and scholarship.

And when you approach it with intellectualism and scholarship, you find there's no reason to accept it.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#9souljah11Posted 3/21/2014 11:40:20 AM
Somewhat true actually, the tendency of humans to put themselves into harms way and their inability to guide and take care of themselves apart from the direct power and leading of God is also reinforced with the metaphor of sheep in need of a shepherd

Christianity is absolutely for wisdom, but intellectualism different story. Single mindness of purpose, and emtional coldness will hinder you from establishing a realtionship with god.
---
Romans 1:16
#10GuideToTheDarkPosted 3/21/2014 6:27:14 PM(edited)
I don't think it's fair to pin this on Christianity, but then, I think most of us are more familiar with Christianity's cultural impact than other things.

And I mean cultural as in the neighborhood or tristate area that you live in and interact with, not reactionary bull from the news that says the bearded bodega guy is a terrorist.
---
http://tinyurl.com/oq35s4q