This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does Christianity really spread the sheep mentalty?

#11mrplainswalkerPosted 3/21/2014 7:41:20 PM
I don't see how. Somebody could be an atheist sheep just as easily as a Christian sheep. If not the beliefs themselves that reveal it. It's the way you arrived at those beliefs. Dogmatism is the real issue.
---
Failure to at least give this show a chance gives anyone you see the right to punch you in the face.
- Spiritclaw on Battlestar Galactica
#12IvashankoPosted 3/21/2014 7:55:55 PM
And when you approach it with intellectualism and scholarship, you find there's no reason to accept it.

No one doubts that this was the experience you found (and others as well), but many have found the opposite. It is best not to generalize.

Anyways, the answer is 'it depends'. Many historians argue that the Protestant Reformation (and it is pretty much universally agreed upon that the Radical Reformation) was an individualizing factor.
#13JonWood007Posted 3/21/2014 8:37:44 PM
I don't see how. Somebody could be an atheist sheep just as easily as a Christian sheep. If not the beliefs themselves that reveal it. It's the way you arrived at those beliefs. Dogmatism is the real issue.

That;s fair enough. I think a point I was trying to get at was that Christianity tends to rely more on bad methods of knowledge.

No one doubts that this was the experience you found (and others as well), but many have found the opposite. It is best not to generalize.

Well, to be fair, a lot of "scholarship" in the biblical realm is often biased and intended to actually promote a viewpoint.

An important factor in scholarship IMO is whether it allows the facts to guide its conclusions...or whether it tries to force the facts to support a certain viewpoint. I find a lot of Biblical scholarship is the latter, and you need to be VERY careful of this so that you don't go all Lee Stroebel on us.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#14IvashankoPosted 3/21/2014 8:58:27 PM
Well, to be fair, a lot of "scholarship" in the biblical realm is often biased and intended to actually promote a viewpoint.

An important factor in scholarship IMO is whether it allows the facts to guide its conclusions...or whether it tries to force the facts to support a certain viewpoint. I find a lot of Biblical scholarship is the latter, and you need to be VERY careful of this so that you don't go all Lee Stroebel on us.

Oh, I agree. Between the Copenhagen School and Seminary work it is just about impossible to find an argument where the researcher didn't have the conclusion going in. That does not mean it is impossible, though, or that the answer you got (which was a perfectly valid answer) is the only one. You should not assume that it is.
#15JonWood007Posted 3/21/2014 9:16:34 PM
Eh, I tend to trust the more secular scholars more. Mainly because they seem more in line with the method I described as being good...allowing the evidence to lead them to conclusions. Theists like to go on about how such scholars are "biased" because they start from a position of nonfaith, but in order to be properly convinced of faith, you need to start from a position of nonfaith and be led to faith by the evidence...so the christian method is circular....
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#16IvashankoPosted 3/21/2014 9:48:54 PM
Eh, I tend to trust the more secular scholars more. Mainly because they seem more in line with the method I described as being good...allowing the evidence to lead them to conclusions. Theists like to go on about how such scholars are "biased" because they start from a position of nonfaith, but in order to be properly convinced of faith, you need to start from a position of nonfaith and be led to faith by the evidence...so the christian method is circular....

Some are certainly good- but many follow a brand who's founder (or, to be fair, one of its three founders) believed that the entire point of Biblical studies was to 'disprove the mistake that was Christianity'. Much of it was biased. It seems to be much better now, however. Biblical studies, on all sides, tends to be better than it was even ten years ago.
#17mrplainswalkerPosted 3/24/2014 2:11:07 PM
JonWood007 posted...
That;s fair enough. I think a point I was trying to get at was that Christianity tends to rely more on bad methods of knowledge.

I'm not sure on the statistical difference between dogmatic atheists and dogmatic theists. But I have seen parents just straight up tell their children that God is total bollocks without addressing the why. Right answer, but for the totally wrong reasons.
---
Failure to at least give this show a chance gives anyone you see the right to punch you in the face.
- Spiritclaw on Battlestar Galactica