This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does Christianity really derive its roots from other religions?

#1HeroicSomaCruzPosted 3/21/2014 7:58:16 PM
I remember studying on the Hellinistic culture in my History class when I was a college Sophomore. It had elements of gods, heaven, and hell as well. How much did Christianity use from preceding religions?
---
Follow me on Miiverse! NNID: OgnarPliskin
My Gameplay videos! Fighting Games, Nintendo, Dark Souls, and more. http://www.youtube.com/user/OgnarPliskin
#2OrangeWizardPosted 3/21/2014 8:03:17 PM(edited)
It got a ton from what Judaism was at the time.
---
The head is backwards.
The head is backwards
#3JonWood007Posted 3/21/2014 8:12:57 PM(edited)
Yep. And Judaism before it. Most of the OT was taken from near eastern myths like the epic of gilgamesh and the enuma elish.

And yes, Christianity drew heavily on hellenism and the like. Although its biggest influence was judaism...since it is literally an offshoot of it.

Some even argue the story of Christ himself was ripped off of other stories...although this is generally pushed more by sensational atheists promoting the whole zeitgeist movement than by actual scholars.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#4IvashankoPosted 3/21/2014 8:51:41 PM
Part of the confusion is that Christianity heavily influenced other doctrines in the regions (Mithras, for instance, changed from being born out of a rock to being born from a virgin mother out of response to Christianity, while Cybele's husband Attis actually went through his own death and being reborn in three days sometimes in the 3rd century), and many earlier scholars (even those writing in the third century) believed the changes were from an earlier time. It has taken scholars centuries to untangle these individuals points.
#5Polish_CrusaderPosted 3/21/2014 9:05:09 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#6Al-UzzaPosted 3/21/2014 11:14:08 PM
Jesus Christ you're terrible.
#7GuideToTheDarkPosted 3/21/2014 11:34:05 PM(edited)
I'd say you're being terribly disrespectful, but in a certain way I respect your honesty, regardless of how ridiculous I find the reasoning behind those statements.
---
http://tinyurl.com/oq35s4q
#8TheRealJiraiyaPosted 3/22/2014 12:24:56 AM
I just skim threads like these for Zeitgeist references I can rebut
---
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" -Isaiah 6:8
#9SSj4WingzeroPosted 3/22/2014 5:12:59 AM
JonWood007 posted...
Yep. And Judaism before it. Most of the OT was taken from near eastern myths like the epic of gilgamesh and the enuma elish.

And yes, Christianity drew heavily on hellenism and the like. Although its biggest influence was judaism...since it is literally an offshoot of it.

Some even argue the story of Christ himself was ripped off of other stories...although this is generally pushed more by sensational atheists promoting the whole zeitgeist movement than by actual scholars.

Largely discredited Zeitgeist movement...it's so funny to see someone bring up anything from that documentary on this board since even the atheists will shred it in seconds.
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
#10master_gamr1231Posted 3/22/2014 8:48:24 AM
Polish_Crusader posted...
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]

Aww, now I really wanna know what he said...
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!