This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

World Vision (Christian charity) lifts ban on employees in gay marriages

#1C_MatPosted 3/24/2014 12:45:08 PM(edited)
World Vision: Why We're Hiring Gay Christians in Same-Sex Marriages

World Vision's American branch will no longer require its more than 1,100 employees to restrict their sexual activity to marriage between one man and one woman.

Abstinence outside of marriage remains a rule for employee conduct. But a policy change will now permit gay Christians in legal same-sex marriages to be employed at one of America's largest Christian charities.

...World Vision hopes to dodge the division currently "tearing churches apart" over same-sex relationships by solidifying its long-held philosophy as a parachurch organization: to defer to churches on theological issues, and focus instead on uniting Christians around serving the poor.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2014/march-web-only/world-vision-why-hiring-gay-christians-same-sex-marriage.html

This makes no sense. They'll hold strictly to what the Bible says about sex before marriage, but not on what the Bible says about sex between members of the same gender. They claim to "defer to churches on theological issues," yet the only consistent way you can have such a ban in the first place is to either enforce all of the New Testament rules on sexual ethics, or none at all. What they're doing is cherrypicking, something Christians are accused of often anyway, and it's totally justified in this case.

EDIT: and to be clear, I know it makes sense culturally and could result in more popularity and $$$ for the organization, and if that's all they care about, they'll probably be successful. When I say "this makes no sense," I'm referring to the logical reasoning they provided behind their decision in the article.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#2splodeymissilePosted 3/24/2014 1:01:31 PM
Yeah, the "logic" is a bit messed up, but at least it led to a good outcome.
---
One can not help but imagine Microsoft as being ran by a thousand Homer Simpsons. -Obturator
#3kozlo100Posted 3/24/2014 1:47:06 PM
Reading the article, it rather seems that they're choosing not to enforce policies that aren't universally agreed upon among their member churches. They recognize that increasing numbers of churches don't actually think same-sex marriage is in opposition to New Testament ethics, and are thus going to sit on the sidelines of the issue until the larger community works it out.

I don't see anything particularly cherry-pickish about that approach. They seem to see it as akin to not having a ban on divorced or remarried people, folks who were baptized certain ways, or women who've held leadership roles in their churches. I think that makes sense for a cross-denominational organization.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#4C_Mat(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2014 2:13:05 PM
I can guarantee that there is probably nothing their member churches universally agree upon, including abstinence until marriage.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#5kozlo100Posted 3/24/2014 2:23:36 PM
I'm thinking belief in Christ, and affirmation of the Apostle's Creed, is pretty universal.

Also, while it's not super common among members of churches to actually practice abstinence until marriage, it's still quite rare to find a Christian church of any denomination that theologically endorses premarital sex. More rare than churches who are ok with same-sex marriages anyway.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#6mrplainswalkerPosted 3/24/2014 3:00:28 PM(edited)
C_Mat posted...
I can guarantee that there is probably nothing their member churches universally agree upon, including abstinence until marriage.

I would guess that infidelity during marriage is also universally frowned upon...at least officially.
---
Failure to at least give this show a chance gives anyone you see the right to punch you in the face.
- Spiritclaw on Battlestar Galactica
#7Polish_CrusaderPosted 3/24/2014 3:25:46 PM
So essentially they are saying:

"Its ok if you are in a lifestyle that is directly against the Bible, who cares as long as we avoid scandal and national criticism"

Ok. Got it.
---
"Being a Christian isn't for sissies.It takes a real man to live for God If you really want to live right these days, you gotta be tough."-Johnny Cash
#8mrplainswalkerPosted 3/24/2014 3:27:27 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
So essentially they are saying:

"Its ok if you are in a lifestyle that is directly against the Bible, who cares as long as we avoid scandal and national criticism"

Ok. Got it.

Which, as has been already pointed out...they were already doing by allowing women in leadership roles.
---
Failure to at least give this show a chance gives anyone you see the right to punch you in the face.
- Spiritclaw on Battlestar Galactica
#9Lord_IchmaelPosted 3/24/2014 7:25:29 PM
Well, it's impossible to follow everything the Bible says (particularly rules against/calling for killing people) so what's the big deal?
---
3DS: 1779-0958-5275 Pokemon Y IGN: Ichmael
Member of the Official Good Trader/Cloners/Breeders/Non-Scammers Guild
#10CoyoteTheGreatPosted 3/24/2014 7:32:49 PM
If you don't understand how cross-denominational organizations work, and have no desire to understand, why make a topic about it? Why work yourself up in a self-righteous rage that other Christians dare to believe different things than you and a cross-denominational organization is not going to pick sides on the issue? There are still plenty of Christian charities you can focus your attention on that hold your same myopic views and only advocate the beliefs of whatever denomination you happen to agree with. All you are doing by making topics like this is opening yourself to being mocked.
---
Disobedience is the stamp of the hero. -Ragnar Redbeard
Also, this is Kagata.