This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it true that Yaweh, the God of the Abrahamic religions...

#1Valnor50Posted 3/24/2014 11:03:15 PM
was once part of an ancient Hebrew pantheon of Gods (polytheism?) And that he was basically the God of War in that pantheon?
#2JonWood007Posted 3/24/2014 11:23:46 PM
It's a theory at least. Judaism probably did come from more primitive forms of polytheism (there's a lot of evidence of this in the Bible itself), although the specifics about the god of war stuff is more questionable.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#3darklaoPosted 3/25/2014 3:07:08 AM
After a while the son always takes over. Give it a couple thousand years and we'll all be worshiping Derp Jesusson.
---
[agitprop]
come and play come and play forget about the movement
#4OrangeWizardPosted 3/25/2014 3:38:32 AM
Is it true that Valnor50, also known as Ata_neh_Sth_Ari, was temporarily banned for trolling?
---
The head is backwards.
The head is backwards
#5Hustle KongPosted 3/25/2014 5:01:15 AM
OrangeWizard posted...
Is it true that Valnor50, also known as Ata_neh_Sth_Ari, was temporarily banned for trolling?

---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#6Dathrowed1Posted 3/25/2014 5:17:45 AM
darklao posted...
After a while the son always takes over. Give it a couple thousand years and we'll all be worshiping Derp Jesusson.

Personally I believe Ben Yeshua is more consistent with Yahweh
---
sig
#7epictetus1216Posted 3/25/2014 6:22:03 AM
I read in a book once, Evolution of God by Robert Wright, that gods were shuffled around a lot before monotheism, and Yahweh was indeed once king of the gods. Eventually, all the other gods were dispensed with and only Yahweh remained. It's vague in my memory exactly how this happened, but war usually determined whose god would be boss and if the other gods would be incorporated into the pantheon or left out. How Yahweh eventually became chief god and then the only god I don't recall.
#8kts123Posted 3/25/2014 7:01:40 AM
According to the Bible at least, Israel worshiped a pantheon of gods which included God. At many times in Scripture, God took a back burner in the pantheon, and at other times, He was worshiped as the highest of the pantheon. -- Finally in the Bible, there were times when all other deities were rejected and Israel was largely monotheist. Now given God lead Israel into battle in Scripture many many times, I really wouldn't be surprised if He was considered 'god of war' by the polytheists. Pretty much everytime war broke out, in the Bible, Israel went running to God. It isn't a stretch to say the polytheists chalked this off to Him being the 'god of war.'
---
Chess!
http://www.chess.com/members/view/KyleTS
#9OzymandiasIVPosted 3/25/2014 10:22:44 AM
I took a class about the formation of Judaism and Christianity. This is what I was taught:

At the time, several hundred years BC, most civilizations/cities/etc. had their own local god/s that they prayed to. The Israelites believed that there was a "primary" God at the top and then several lesser gods below him, which were the local gods. The people that prayed to the local gods venerated God via those local gods, but the Israelites, unlike everyone else, worshiped God directly.

Additionally, most people were encouraged to worship the local gods of whatever area they were in... iirc. Meaning that, if they moved, they would typically worship the local god of wherever they moved to, and God was fine with this. The Israelites, on the other hand, were only allowed to worship God, and they could do so wherever they were. Location did not matter to them. This is the part I'm least sure about, but I think the early Israelites were very hesitant to allow outsiders in because they didn't want to risk them changing their mind and leaving, which was, I think, a no-no to worshiping God.

As far as I know, again, this is why the Israelites called themselves God's chosen people. They were the only people allowed to worship God directly; everyone else could only do so via proxy.
---
Sometimes a fish out of water just has to admit that he's going to asphyxiate.
#10JonWood007Posted 3/25/2014 10:32:29 AM
kts123 posted...
According to the Bible at least, Israel worshiped a pantheon of gods which included God. At many times in Scripture, God took a back burner in the pantheon, and at other times, He was worshiped as the highest of the pantheon. -- Finally in the Bible, there were times when all other deities were rejected and Israel was largely monotheist. Now given God lead Israel into battle in Scripture many many times, I really wouldn't be surprised if He was considered 'god of war' by the polytheists. Pretty much everytime war broke out, in the Bible, Israel went running to God. It isn't a stretch to say the polytheists chalked this off to Him being the 'god of war.'

This is basically what I learned. He headed a pantheon, or was one of a pantheon, or at times was addressed AS the pantheon. The god of war stuff isn't much of a stretch, but I'm not sure that's well supported by scholarship.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768