This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Hell excessive?

#11rodman870(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2014 9:36:21 AM
takashi351 posted...
The Apologist posted...
The first question is: what would a just afterlife consist in?

I would say it would consist of reliving the pain you caused others, but through their eyes. So Stalin would have to, for example, live through the unjust torture and death he inflicted upon countless millions. Perhaps after going through that, he would have a better understanding of exactly what he did to others. It's (perfectly) proportional, finite, and would show him what he did to those he harmed.

That's kind of been my interpretation of what hell should be. I guess it's the utilitarian retributionalist in me.

It'd be nice if hell was like a prison sentence. Not one so cruel to where you have to drown in fire for hundreds of years, but it feels like some sort of punishment should exist.

But infinite hell? That's just too cruel to really fathom. Do you think pious Christians actually consider how cruel hell is?
---
I like tacos more than burritos.
I'm going to eat a taco, then a burrito. Get it right people...
#12Moorish_IdolPosted 6/7/2014 9:49:31 AM
My beliefs about the afterlife is that everyone goes on to the same place whether they were "good" or "bad" on Earth. It's not really Heaven or Hell.

But yes, I think the Christian idea of Hell is ridiculously immoral and excessive.
#13kts123Posted 6/7/2014 10:58:05 AM
Question folks. If Hell is "infinite in time duration," how did Jesus pay that penalty in a finite amount of time during the crucifixion?
#14Lord_IchmaelPosted 6/7/2014 11:05:18 AM
I think the concept of Hell is an indicator of Christianity's (and Islam's) status as a 100% primitive man-made religion. I don't think they really gave much thought to the implications of Hell (already mentioned) when they came up with it. It's just a tool they use to scare people into doing what they say.

If it is just separation from God, I don't think I'll notice a difference if I end up there.
---
3DS: 1779-0958-5275 Pokemon Y IGN: Ichmael, X: Elav
Member of the Official Good Trader/Cloners/Breeders/Non-Scammers Guild
#15Dathrowed1Posted 6/7/2014 11:12:32 AM
Lord_Ichmael posted...
I think the concept of Hell is an indicator of Christianity's (and Islam's) status as a 100% primitive man-made religion. I don't think they really gave much thought to the implications of Hell (already mentioned) when they came up with it. It's just a tool they use to scare people into doing what they say.

If it is just separation from God, I don't think I'll notice a difference if I end up there.

They didn't come up with Hell. Concepts of it were around centuries before Christ's birth. Also Jesus teachings and beliefs were based on the Hebrew Scriptures which didn't have hell fire in them.
---
sig
#16Lord_IchmaelPosted 6/7/2014 11:18:12 AM
Dathrowed1 posted...
Lord_Ichmael posted...

They didn't come up with Hell. Concepts of it were around centuries before Christ's birth. Also Jesus teachings and beliefs were based on the Hebrew Scriptures which didn't have hell fire in them.

I know there were concepts like it before, but they weren't that bad. And I know it's absent in Judaism, hence me saying Christianity and Islam and not Judaism.
---
3DS: 1779-0958-5275 Pokemon Y IGN: Ichmael, X: Elav
Member of the Official Good Trader/Cloners/Breeders/Non-Scammers Guild
#17Dathrowed1Posted 6/7/2014 11:40:24 AM
Lord_Ichmael posted...
Dathrowed1 posted...
Lord_Ichmael posted...

I know there were concepts like it before, but they weren't that bad. And I know it's absent in Judaism, hence me saying Christianity and Islam and not Judaism.

My point is it is not a teaching from Jesus or the Greek writings. It isn't a true Christian teaching
---
sig
#18JonWood007Posted 6/7/2014 7:37:21 PM
Yes, yes it is. And without any purpose but unrestrained cruelty.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#19mrplainswalkerPosted 6/7/2014 9:23:29 PM
kts123 posted...
Question folks. If Hell is "infinite in time duration," how did Jesus pay that penalty in a finite amount of time during the crucifixion?

Well the obvious answer is that he didn't. If he can do it in 3 days for everybody, then why can't they do it in 3 days for themselves? Just one of many things about the mythos that makes no sense.
---
Failure to at least give this show a chance gives anyone you see the right to punch you in the face.
- Spiritclaw on Battlestar Galactica
#20rodman870(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2014 12:37:52 AM
Yeah, and I always thought the "He died for your sins" line was a little off. I get that it's supposed to be something we're grateful for, but I've had a lot of people use it as a guilt trip.
---
I like tacos more than burritos.
I'm going to eat a taco, then a burrito. Get it right people...