This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If you eat the fruit of this tree...

#1walkerdougPosted 6/24/2014 1:41:29 PM
Now, most will probably have an idea as to what would normally follow after this, but I'm always curious: how did the snake have prior knowledge of the tree and its "magical" properties? Was the snake(presumably Satan) created with intelligence? If no, then how did s/he acquire it? If yes, then what is the point of the tree?
Another question, can one consider satan to be a god if s/he has intelligence and possible powers as well? If they cannot be considered a god explain why.
What was the point of the flood? If god can destroy two cities then why flood a whole planet. Would you not destroy the sinners only and spare the good? Did the flood happen before Sodom and Gomorrah(spell check)? The reason I ask is because the flood is mentioned first.
---
I fail because I don't succeed at winning.
#2Hustle KongPosted 6/24/2014 1:46:56 PM(edited)
The serpent being identified with Satan is a Christian interpretation. Presumably, my foot.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#3JonWood007Posted 6/24/2014 1:53:06 PM
It's a story. Doesn't have to make sense.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#4splodeymissilePosted 6/24/2014 2:02:55 PM
If Satan is the snake, then this can be explained by him being a fallen angel. I'd imagine angels have a decently detailed knowledge of the world, which would allow Satan to use the trees properties against God. There's also always the theory that angels are an extension of God's will in a more literal sense and that God effectively micromanages them (almost like a hive mind) and if Satan somehow detached himself, he would still have some of "the collective's" knowledge. I've probably pulled that out of my ass, though.

Anyways, as far as I know, angels do possess some intelligence and individuality, disregarding my crackpot hive theory, so, yes to Satan having intelligence. Though it does make one wonder how he was able to defect and, more importantly, why God would allow it in the first place. Did he create Satan like that?

The tree was meant as a test. Doesn't make much sense to me, but that's the "official" explanation.

At a stretch, maybe a demigod. The problem is that the definition of God varies between culture and religion. I mean, some reckon that if superheroes existed, they would indistinguishable from gods. Anyways, monotheistic religions describe certain properties that are needed to be a God. Omnipotence, omniscience and being the creator are some, none of which Satan fulfills. Even if he were a part of Greek myths, I doubt he'd be considered.

I believe the flood happened first. I agree that the particular method doesn't make a lot of sense, but in God's defense, Noah and his family were (allegedly) the only good people left.
---
One can not help but imagine Microsoft as being ran by a thousand Homer Simpsons. -Obturator
#5walkerdoug(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2014 2:04:40 PM
But if you base your life off of it, shouldn't it make sense?
---
#6walkerdoug(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2014 2:10:12 PM
splodeymissile posted...
I believe the flood happened first. I agree that the particular method doesn't make a lot of sense, but in God's defense, Noah and his family were (allegedly) the only good people left.
that's one of the things I always found odd. If one occurred before the other then you should not have to do the latter.
---
#7noble bananaPosted 6/24/2014 11:57:21 PM
The Bible said something like the snake is the most cunning animal and he's cursed by God to crawl on his belly and be an enemy of Eve's descendants.
#8splodeymissilePosted 6/25/2014 3:50:52 AM
walkerdoug posted...
splodeymissile posted...
that's one of the things I always found odd. If one occurred before the other then you should not have to do the latter.

Well, more sinners eventually popped up. Its the biggest pitfall of granting free will: not everyone's going to use it as you think it should. Though I'd argue its not quite free, anyways.
---
One can not help but imagine Microsoft as being ran by a thousand Homer Simpsons. -Obturator
#9darklaoPosted 6/25/2014 3:52:33 AM
Imma tell that to Black Rat Snakebro next time I see him climbing the tree in ma yard. We both gonna cry manly tears.
---
[agitprop]
come and play come and play forget about the movement
#10MatamoriPosted 7/5/2014 2:26:56 PM
A way to explain how the snake even talked was that Satan possessed it. Before his downfall, Lucifer (Satan's earlier name) was the best of the best when it came to angels. His pride though got him thrown out of his position and now wanders the earth (Ezekiel 28:11-19).

And the tree was not magical. It could have been a normal peach or lemon tree. God just commanded Adam and his wife not to eat from it (Genesis 2:17).

The point of the tree? To let have man have choice. That's a good question.

Satan couldn't be God or a god, because according to the Bible, "I am the Lord and there is no other. There is no God besides Me..."-Isaiah 45:5

Genesis 6:5 says, "Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." That's why He flooded the earth.

He did spare the good: "These are the records of the generations of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his time; Noah walked with God."-Genesis 6:9

Yeah, the flood happened first.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.