This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the single most important aspect of your conversion/deconversion?

#1OzymandiasIVPosted 7/20/2014 9:11:53 PM
If you've converted to another faith or "deconverted" to atheism or some other kind of belief system, try to boil down the most important aspect behind your change. That aspect can be large or small, and can be the "most important" on your own criteria, but try to single it down to one reason.

For me, it would have to be the impossibly countless different interpretations people have of the Bible and Christianity in general. There are so many denominations, so many people saying, "Well, this is what I believe," so many "This is what makes sense, so it must be square with God," etc. Hell, I find wildly different interpretation and beliefs over incredibly important matters even among people in the same denominations.

This isn't the sole reason or the most complex reason behind my deconversion to atheism. I identify it as the most important aspect to my deconversion because it's ultimately what led me on my quest to try to understand and strengthen my faith, which (ironically) led to my slow and difficult loss of faith.
---
Yes, I'm probably joking, teasing, or being sarcastic.
#2master_gamr1231Posted 7/20/2014 10:16:38 PM
Once I actually took the time to examine my professed beliefs beyond lip service, I realized that they were at odds with my perception of reality and, thus, my beliefs were altered to what I saw as true. Nothing more than logic, really. Sure, there was some emotion involved, but I got over it rather easily.
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#3LinkFanaticPosted 7/20/2014 10:57:00 PM
Lack of evidence of anything supernatural. Anything I've ever been exposed to in support of the concept has either been rationally explainable or too fantastical to believe.
---
SSJ Gotenks is santa clause, because he can fly around the planet in one night. - ShaolinAced
#4kozlo100Posted 7/20/2014 11:38:23 PM
master_gamr1231 posted...
Once I actually took the time to examine my professed beliefs beyond lip service, I realized that they were at odds with my perception of reality and, thus, my beliefs were altered to what I saw as true. Nothing more than logic, really. Sure, there was some emotion involved, but I got over it rather easily.

I don't want to be in the same club as you. Unfortunately, I am. My own conversion from Catholicism to atheism is too similar to be discounted, but the way you describe it makes me ashamed to have gone through it that way.

I'm sorry to be so rude, but your response instigated such a range of reaction that I was compelled to post about it. Maybe as this topic evolves I can hash out why I had this reaction, but the best I can do for now is to say that I wanted to post my answer to the question, but for some reason your response means I can't.
---
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
#5WelshGamer82Posted 7/21/2014 12:31:52 AM
I did a course called Christianity Explored, which is basically an eight week long weekly bible study on the Gospel of Mark. At the end of it, we were invited to pray if we were so inclined. I prayed that if what I read was true, that God give me the faith to believe in it.

And he did.

I realise this probably isn't what you're looking for.
---
Amazing Love, How can it be? That you my king would die for me.
Amazing Love, I know it's true. And it's my joy to honour you.
#6Hustle KongPosted 7/21/2014 2:25:39 AM(edited)
My apostasy ("deconversion" is such a terrible word in the fact that it is already covered by another) was simply because I realized I didn't have the reason or experience to believe the things I thought I did.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#7darklaoPosted 7/21/2014 2:51:49 AM
the impossibility of Hell

there were other factors, but that was definitely the first, most important critical point.
---
[agitprop]
come and play come and play forget about the movement
#8master_gamr1231Posted 7/21/2014 5:22:11 AM
kozlo100 posted...

I don't want to be in the same club as you. Unfortunately, I am. My own conversion from Catholicism to atheism is too similar to be discounted, but the way you describe it makes me ashamed to have gone through it that way.

I'm sorry to be so rude, but your response instigated such a range of reaction that I was compelled to post about it. Maybe as this topic evolves I can hash out why I had this reaction, but the best I can do for now is to say that I wanted to post my answer to the question, but for some reason your response means I can't.

Um... sorry. Did the word choice make it seem too callous and devoid of feeling? Because, honestly, I believe that if you can't examine beliefs in the absence of emotion, then there's a lack of genuineness in the introspection.
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#9OzymandiasIV(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2014 6:41:55 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
"deconversion" is such a terrible word in the fact that it is already covered by another

That's how languages evolve.
---
#10OzymandiasIV(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2014 6:45:04 AM
Um... sorry. Did the word choice make it seem too callous and devoid of feeling? Because, honestly, I believe that if you can't examine beliefs in the absence of emotion, then there's a lack of genuineness in the introspection.

I don't know if it's because he has some kind of negative past history with you, but I think it might be the "logic" part. Most people use logic, and I'm sure the logic that convinced most atheists of their current beliefs is just as shaky as the logic of the typical religious person.
---