Is it true that camel hump is Chinese food?

#1slk_23Posted 1/1/2012 3:04:20 PM
It was referenced in the movie Rush Hour where Jackie Chan is eating it. I wanted to know whether it's real, so I looked it up on Google. The results talk about camel hump as camel humps (as opposed to food for humans) and Rush Hour. That seems to make it look like they don't eat it there. But China is a big country and I've never been there, so I don't want to make any guesses, so as to not appear uncultured and ignorant. Then again, I don't really associate camels with China.
#2ChocolatlPosted 1/1/2012 3:27:02 PM
I was about to say no, it's not, but it appears that I was wrong. Apparently they DO eat camel hump in China, at least according to this site: http://www.chinaplanner.com/cuisine/cuisine/food_gs.htm
---
The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.
#3CarsAndGuitarsxPosted 1/3/2012 7:06:14 PM
It's China. They eat anything as long as it's furry and it moves. They'll even eat your pet cat. :)
---
Why is it called the 3DS? Because it's a 3rdDOOMEDSYSTEM from NintenFAIL. When I see the 3DS, I'll just turn 3 DegreeS & Walk Away
#4AngelbladePosted 1/3/2012 7:20:08 PM
That's a lie..they'll eat cat..but most likely not someone else's pet...

As for camel hump...unless it's some Tibetan or Ugiar or other denominational thing, I'd say that no the don't eat it there..not regularly anyway...however given that most any species of animals basically fair game...it probably would't be unheard of that camel..not just the hump..has been eaten before in China
---
Faye Wong
-No Regrets-
#5BB mofoPosted 1/3/2012 8:22:30 PM
"If it has four legs and isn't a chair, if it moves through the water and isn't a boat, if it has wings and isn't a plane, the Cantonese will eat it."
- The rest of China.
---
"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?"
-Mark Twain
#6AmenonuhokoPosted 1/3/2012 8:43:21 PM
In Soviet Russia, camel humps you!
---
Winners don't lose drugs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW7HAh5H7I0
#7AngelbladePosted 1/3/2012 9:47:47 PM
BB mofo posted...
"If it has four legs and isn't a chair, if it moves through the water and isn't a boat, if it has wings and isn't a plane, the Cantonese will eat it."
- The rest of China.

"If its back face the sky, then it can be eaten"

- The Cantonese
---
Faye Wong
-No Regrets-
#8estonPosted 1/4/2012 6:41:46 AM
A camel's hump is basically pure fat, so I'll bet it's delicious >_>
---
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i215/estonc/grizzly_bear_chairs_2.jpg
#9televisedPosted 1/4/2012 12:09:11 PM
>>> "If it has four legs and isn't a chair, if it moves through the water and isn't a boat, if it has wings and isn't a plane, the Cantonese will eat it."

incidentally my cantonese girlfriend has eaten it and claims its northern cuisine
---
"'take it with you it dengres out side'
and he go to defet the devil him self"
#10kozlo100Posted 1/4/2012 12:50:39 PM
I was going to guess it to be a northern thing more than a Cantonese thing. My amateur culinary anthropology sense tells me it probably came from the bits that share a border with the middle east. They eat camel in a few Arab nations.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick