Is a chicken's dark meat really that bad for you compared to its white meat?

#11Viral_DogPosted 4/1/2012 9:25:05 PM
Dark meat is delicious.

Sorry haters.
---
Dogs hate cats. Cats hate flowers. Flowers hate people. Watch the dog eat!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptAiAMerlYU
#12dhalsimrocksPosted 4/2/2012 4:42:29 AM
sfcalimari posted...
I have literally never had dark meat that tasted good. I really wonder if it might be a genetic thing, people either go nuts for dark meat or they think it's gross, kind of like cruciferous vegetables which either taste yummy or extremely bitter and gross depending on your genes.

Yeah, cilantro is like that too, as I recall. Like it literally tastes different to some people with a certain genetic makeup.
---
May all your disgraces be private
#13Anarchy_JuiblexPosted 4/2/2012 5:28:22 AM
dewprisms posted...
text.

*high fives* This guy knows what's up.
---
Yes I roll with dealers and my scrill is my priority
***** I roll with killas and these killas have authority.
#14kozlo100Posted 4/2/2012 9:41:48 AM
Yeah, cilantro is like that too, as I recall. Like it literally tastes different to some people with a certain genetic makeup.

Yea, I know a guy who swears cilantro tastes like soap to him.

Still, I wonder about the dark meat being a genetic thing. It's not that much different from light meat, at least not chemically. It'd be interesting to do a blind taste test on someone like Calimari with a couple of carefully prepared examples of each.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#15kozlo100Posted 4/2/2012 9:45:43 AM(edited)
Also, these prices can't be right, can they?

I notice the prices at grocery stores kind of backs this information up. $16-$18 per kg (white meat) as opposed to $11-$13 per (dark meat) indicates you "get what you pay for".

I can reliably get whole turkeys for less than $18 total for a bird in the 14 pound range. Boneless skinless breasts are usually $5.99 per pound in my neck of the woods. Whole chickens $1.30ish, and sometimes on sale for 69 cents a pound.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#16ChocolatlPosted 4/2/2012 1:07:43 PM
kozlo100 posted...
Also, these prices can't be right, can they?

I notice the prices at grocery stores kind of backs this information up. $16-$18 per kg (white meat) as opposed to $11-$13 per (dark meat) indicates you "get what you pay for".

I can reliably get whole turkeys for less than $18 total for a bird in the 14 pound range. Boneless skinless breasts are usually $5.99 per pound in my neck of the woods. Whole chickens $1.30ish, and sometimes on sale for 69 cents a pound.

Those might be Australian dollars.
---
The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.
#17kozlo100Posted 4/2/2012 1:39:23 PM
Might be, but Aussie dollars are trading almost equivalent to US$ right now, so it'd still be weird prices.
---
#18IWantAKoukiPosted 4/2/2012 4:22:07 PM
No. Fat isn't bad for you in the first place. Eat up.
---
<realcavsfan>
http://i54.tinypic.com/mtr21.jpg
#19dewprismsPosted 4/2/2012 4:51:55 PM

Might be, but Aussie dollars are trading almost equivalent to US$ right now, so it'd still be weird prices.

No, but their prices are higher in general than in the US, despite what market price of the dollar is versus the US right now.

However, those numbers don't seem right to me, but I may be reading them wrong since I'm not familiar with metric as far as food prices go.

Yea, I know a guy who swears cilantro tastes like soap to him.

Cilantro tastes like soapy plastic to me. It's disgusting. A teeny bit in a dish is okay, but if there is a strong cilantro flavor at all I find it pretty disgusting. The smell is awful to me as well.

This is true. I'm unsure if dark versus light meat would be the same... it may just have something to do with flavor profiles and texture. I can understand dark meat being unappetizing to some people- it has a different texture and is fattier and richer, and to many people that heavy fat flavor is not really tasty. For instance, I really dislike it in a lot of cases where the fat is heavy enough to... coat? your mouth. Like a high fat content ice cream or heavy whipping cream. It gets really unpalatable really quickly to me.

I have literally never had dark meat that tasted good. I really wonder if it might be a genetic thing, people either go nuts for dark meat or they think it's gross, kind of like cruciferous vegetables which either taste yummy or extremely bitter and gross depending on your genes.

Do you dislike duck as well? Or quail, or any other dark meat poultry? Are there any other types of meats that give you this reaction?

I think even if it's not genetic, I think that some flavors just do not sit well with people no matter what. Like raw tomatoes. Besides the texture being incredibly disgusting to me, the flavor of raw tomatoes (except in salsa, weirdly enough) is absolutely abhorrent to me... Even though I like tomato based products/sauces, and cooked tomatoes, and I'm not particularly picky about veggies in general.
---
oontz oontz oontz
#20Sun XiaoPosted 4/3/2012 12:44:23 AM
Dark meat has more zinc, riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, vitamins B6, B12, amino acids, and iron than white meat even though it has as much as twice fat and saturated fat while it also has higher calories than white meat. IMO, it doesn't mean dark meat is bad for you ,so you should make soup, pie, salad, or even sandwich with dark meat or mix of white and dark meat.
---
I have hugged them and I have touched their legs without intent of sexual contact~ Jerry Sandusky