Do they still make Saturn's or did they go under completely?

#1ShadowElite86Posted 8/5/2012 8:57:17 AM
I remember people saying that they shut down, but I still see quite a few of their vehicles around that look nearly brand new. I really like the Astra, Vue, and Outlook. Of course if they did go under, then I question buying any of these vehicles. Anyone have experience with the brand?
#2KastradaPosted 8/5/2012 9:00:06 AM
With the government bailout of GM, only four brands were allowed to be kept. Buick, Cadillac, GMC, and Chevrolet made the cut while GM phased out Pontiac, Hummer, and Saturn.

So to answer your question, no, they no longer make Saturns. The last Saturn cars made were rebadged Opels and a few of the new Buicks are rebadged Opels so you have those?
---
I'm a girl, address me as such. Just don't undress me as much. \m/^_^\m/
PoW '09 Topic of the Year Co-Winners (Rada and Texy) FFD
#3BewmHedshotPosted 8/5/2012 10:03:30 AM
Someone with a relatively influential motorsports business bought the brand... I don't remember specifically who, if it was Saleen or Penske or Panoz or what, but I know someone paid a decent chunk of money to own the brand name but none of the IP.
---
Money may not buy happiness, but I'll take my ****ing chances.
#4nightmare75Posted 8/5/2012 10:44:17 AM
Penske was in talks to buy it, but the plans fell through because they couldn't find anyone to make the cars. They were going to try to continue selling Saturns. The sale never ended up happening and Saturn is just dead now.
---
Proud Follower of Pastafarianism -- 12/15/06
http://www.gt4fox.proboards100.com
#5ShadowElite86(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2012 11:00:07 AM
I heard about the bailout, but I didn't know it was specifically GM/ Chevy. I also didn't know that Pontiac was one of them that went under as well, I thought they still made them with all the G series cars I see around.

I may get bashed for saying so, but they should have let all of GM and Chevrolet go under instead of bailing them out.
#6mothballsPosted 8/5/2012 12:40:32 PM
no. GM was incompetent to keep all of those brands.

they will not let their best of the best go under. Chevy is probably their best selling brand.
---
“We are losing money not because of pirates; we are losing money because people decided not to buy our game.” -CD Projekt dev
#7nightmare75Posted 8/5/2012 1:55:18 PM
ShadowElite86 posted...
I may get bashed for saying so, but they should have let all of GM and Chevrolet go under instead of bailing them out.

You're going to get bashed because it's a stupid opinion to have.
---
Proud Follower of Pastafarianism -- 12/15/06
http://www.gt4fox.proboards100.com
#8rush2547Posted 8/5/2012 2:43:26 PM
No its not. Gm made crappy cars and had crappy sales. They deserved to go under. Auto unions would have lost a lot of power thus making domestic auto manufacturing more affordable.

If you let market capitalism do its thing it will correct itself. Its only when government gets too involve that recessions last longer. You want unemployment to go down? Cut down on unemployment benefits.
---
My fate is determined but I have yet to determine it. - St. John de Crevecoeur
#9All StarPosted 8/5/2012 2:56:21 PM
GM should have been allowed to go under through their own doing, but the root cause goes much further than that...unions should be outlawed:

http://www.thefreemanonline.org/columns/unions-and-antitrust-governmental-hypocrisy/
---
And it makes me wanna take a back road
Makes me wanna take the long way home
#10chunckylover53Posted 8/5/2012 3:54:28 PM
If they needed a bail out once they'll most likely need it again... Let's just focus on ford the only good american brand.