Any problem only feeding my cat ground turkey and giving him a vitamin?

#1Pow Pow PunishmentPosted 4/13/2013 8:58:48 PM
It's well-known that wet food is better than dry food but I've found it much cheaper to just buy a 3 lb tube of ground turkey meat, lightly cooking it into small meatballs, and giving him one with a cat multivitamin containing taurine, fatty acids, etc. Can anyone think of foreseeable problems with this? Maybe ground turkey being too fatty, perhaps? (85% lean)
---
Waging the war on sucking, one squat at a time: http://sites.google.com/site/strengthfaqs
#2corruptxconnectPosted 4/14/2013 9:13:40 PM
What is his diet like now?
#3Pow Pow Punishment(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2013 9:31:31 PM
That, but before he was on a hypoallergenic brand of dry food with no corn (which we always avoided anyways). He developed a problem of vomiting his old food so the vet put him on that brand, which helped but still made him throw up every now and then. He hasn't thrown up the turkey meatballs or the vitamin once (unless I add too much fish oil, I've noticed).

Maybe this is too specific a case for anyone to offer input, but I'm just trying to think of things he could be missing with this, since I don't think a cat vitamin is made with the intent of completely replacing the essential nutrients pet food manufacturers put in their products. I dunno, bone meal maybe?
---
Waging the war on sucking, one squat at a time: http://sites.google.com/site/strengthfaqs
#4MaggieTheKattPosted 4/14/2013 10:23:46 PM
Cat diets are pretty finicky. They are dedicated carnivores, meaning they need a specific amount of protein to be able to survive. This is different than dogs, which are scavengers and still need protein but not as much as cats and can survive on a much less specific diet. But, cats in the wild also get lots of other nutrients by ingesting the bones, organs, and stomach contents (including vegetation) of their prey. This is why many cat foods include things like fruits, vegetables, and "meals" (like chicken meal), which contains bone and organ meat. Cats that don't get the right amount of protein or other nutrients can get very sick. Cat food back in the 70s never used to contain taurine, an amino acid that is very important to cat health, and many cats went blind and/or died as a result. Now commercial cat food is required to have a specific amount of taurine in it to prevent these illnesses. This is just an example of the requirements of a cat's diet.

I would start doing a lot of research if you are planning on making a homemade diet for your cat. I have seen websites that have suggestions and "meal plans" although I don't follow them myself and haven't been to one in a long time so I unfortunately do not have a link. What I do remember is the person buying a lot of organ meats like chicken & cow liver, etc as well as bones with marrow still in them. Do not rely on your vet for information; unfortunately vets do not get very much training in regards to diets and nutrition and they are often paid by big companies like Hills to advertise food, so they will simply recommend whatever they are being paid to recommend (regardless of whether it is healthy or not.)
#5Pow Pow Punishment(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2013 2:49:13 AM
After doing some research it seems I'm not giving him nearly enough taurine for a cooked-food diet. His vitamins have 50 mg each and he gets two a day, so that's only 100 mg versus the 200 minimum I'm seeing online (some sources going all the way up to 1000). I have taurine powder, though, so that's an easy fix.

Looks like the only thing he might be missing is bone meal.
---