An MMO that isn't dumbed down for noobs?

#1Thefear4Posted 12/25/2011 4:46:21 PM
Was just wondering if anyone knows of any MMOs that doesn't hand you everything just for creating a character? One that rewards hard work and dedication, hopefully VERY noob unfriendly, but still a decent game. I've been trying a few I've seen on the boards (the free ones anyway) and no luck so far. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
---
If there was a single day I could live...a single breath I could take, I'd trade all the others away.
#2Ness26(Moderator)Posted 12/26/2011 4:51:36 PM
Kneejerk reaction is Final Fantasy XI.
---
No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck.
#3Thefear4(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2011 2:12:18 PM
I was already leaning towards FF 14 because FF 11 was my first and favorite MMO until it became unplayable, but I have been hearing a lot of mixed reviews about it. I would have just bought the game and tried it...but my GFs computer can't handle it so waiting till tax time to get a new pc and the games. Glad to hear its what I'm looking for though. If it is a bit harder than the average MMO that would probably explain most of the bad reviews I've been hearing though. Thanks for the answer.
---
If there was a single day I could live...a single breath I could take, I'd trade all the others away.
#4Ness26(Moderator)Posted 12/29/2011 4:16:19 PM
XI = 11.

XIV = 14.

Everything I've heard says FF14 is an abomination and shouldn't be touched. If you've already played FFXI then I have no other suggestions.
---
#5JuliaGillardPosted 12/30/2011 7:29:26 AM
Ness26 posted...
Everything I've heard says FF14 is an abomination and shouldn't be touched. If you've already played FFXI then I have no other suggestions.
Please tell me what's worse about FF14.
---
Freedom for the people of North Korea. End the dictatorship and madness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxLBywKrTf4
#6Thefear4(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2011 10:39:52 AM
Ness26 posted...
XI = 11.

XIV = 14.

Guess I just read what I was expecting to hear...not sure how I managed that...But yeah the reason I left FF 11 was because it was becoming everything I hated about MMOs. I started meeting people who were saying they had played less than a month and had most/all the same gear as people I know that have played for years. There was no challenge left in the game and the more time that went by, the less good players I would run into. God I hope FF 14 isn't as bad.
---
#7Ness26(Moderator)Posted 12/30/2011 7:56:21 PM

Please tell me what's worse about FF14.

I never actually played it -- just repeating what I've heard. Given the fact that the game went F2P and the company openly apologized for the game... never really questioned it.
---
#8OwlRammerPosted 1/1/2012 3:08:43 PM
Puzzle Pirates.

Like really, this one, I love this game. It's a puzzle game though (you play puzzle games to perform pirate duties like bilging puzzle to lower water, swordfighting as... swordfighting) so if you don't like those then I wouldn't try it. But if so I would definitely give this a chance, it takes time to get your own ship as you need to make money to buy it (in game money) and then doubloons to have it delivered (cash money, but you can get it with in game money though). Also if you do play it play on viridian ocean as that is a doubloon ocean where you can get everything free as opposed to the subscription oceans where you have to subscribe in order to unlock everything. Also that's where alot of players are at in the doubloon oceans.
---
BlazBlue Continuum Shift - Main: Platinum Sub: Tager|OwlRammer for everything
MvC3 - Deadpool/Magneto/Spencer,X-23/Arthur/Spencer|Travian is awesome.
#9FastoMadnessPosted 1/1/2012 6:06:40 PM
Puzzle Pirates is fun for a while, but only if you are into puzzles.
#10TwinmoldPosted 1/6/2012 8:20:11 PM
If you're basing your purchase soley on the premise of the game being clunky, boring, and unfriendly to new players then why not just play Eve and be done with it?
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCptDecaf