Buzzing/humming when i connect headphones to hdtv

#1chiricokasadyPosted 2/29/2012 12:13:21 PM
When i connect my sennheiser headphones to my samsung hdtv their is a buzzing/humming noise that starts up. Is there a way to stop this?
---
Out beyond that fence. Anything that crawls, flies, or squats in the mud wants to kill you and eat your eyes for jujubees
#2LusoryPrimePosted 2/29/2012 1:11:15 PM
Preface: I'm assuming you live in the US and have standard 3-prong connections for power in your home.

If the noise is a persistent low hum (60 Hz) like it seems to me from your description, then it could be a ground loop between your TV and other electronic devices; you're only hearing it on your headphones. To test that, you can get a 2-prong adapter from a hardware store or general store and put that on your TV power cable. This is NOT safe for long-term use, but it's fine for the purposes of a simple test. If that adapter causes the hum to disappear, then you most likely have a ground loop.

If you have other electronics on the same power circuit that are grounded, check those as well. It can be hard to determine the culprit in these cases and sometimes a ground loop isolator is the easiest solution. That will remove the hum from the power signal.

One potential solution: http://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Hum-Voltage-Filter/dp/B0002E4YI8/

You could also get an isolation transformer which would be a much more robust solution, but it'll be more expensive.

Here are some related materials:
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/
---
PSN ID: Lusory_Prime
#3chiricokasady(Topic Creator)Posted 2/29/2012 3:47:39 PM
thanks for the help...but this is all waaay over my head. i read that article and still have no idea. is there an easy way to fix this? if i unplugged certain devices or moved them to different power outlets would that make a difference?
---
Out beyond that fence. Anything that crawls, flies, or squats in the mud wants to kill you and eat your eyes for jujubees
#4LusoryPrimePosted 2/29/2012 5:00:59 PM
You can test that way as well... unplug all your electronics except your TV from that circuit (if you don't know what the circuit is, just unplug as many as you can conveniently) and replug each one back into the circuit but listen for the hum through the headphone jack of the TV in between each one. If a component introduces the hum, don't leave it on the circuit until you find all of them. It's a tedious process but this is not an uncommon problem. Once you know what component is causing the hum, you can either relocate it or get a ground loop isolator for that device.

You could also get the adapter like I mentioned in my last post and put that (only temporarily!) on each device to see if removing that one device's ground is enough to remove the hum. Slightly less tedious but you'll have to buy an adapter (probably about $1).
---
#5LusoryPrimePosted 2/29/2012 5:11:13 PM
I just realized I never asked for your headphone model. If you're using active noise cancelling headphones, then those themselves might be causing the ground loop. Noise cancelling headphones have internal amplifiers which will have some sort of ground. In that case you'll need to get a ground loop isolater for your TV or a different amplifier for your headphones.
---