Hesitant to kill off character..

#1lordsofshadowPosted 7/12/2012 4:27:24 PM
I thought I was stronger than this but I can't kill off one of my character she's the love interest of my main character .. I know kinda pathetic but I feel sad but what hurts me the most is that my MC is pretty much responsible for her death leads right to the last act of the story even ..I'll likely get the guts to do it but uhh.. Has this ever happened to anyone here you just can't bring yourself to do it ..?
#2galaticsoldierPosted 7/12/2012 4:31:26 PM
No. When I do bad things to characters that are good things for the story I go out and treat myself to an ice cream.
---
Galactic you are one lucky ass mother****er -BIOCLIPPER
#3thompsontalker7Posted 7/12/2012 4:34:54 PM
Do it. I had this problem for a long time, and then realized that both characters can still get their happy ending even if it kills one of them. I

n my story's case, there's an epilogue where the MC, although becoming a heavy drinker for several years afterward, gathers his thoughts together long enough to write a memoir that sets their previously untold story straight.

The female main character, even though she died, is awaken by her friends in her time period, where she finds that her hometown is no longer involved in war, and after casting away her armor and weapon, goes on to join her friends in a peaceful afterlife.

That was just an example, but I think it proves that killing off the love interest doesn't mean the story has to go into a downward spiral in terms of emotion.
---
Not removing this until Dr. Dre's Detox album is out. Start:11/22/08
"Personal matters at the table is bad for digestion."- Saber
#4OzymandiasIVPosted 7/13/2012 6:00:06 AM
If that's how you feel about killing her off, TC, imagine what feelings it could stir in your readers. Then ask yourself: how could you possibly stir up that same feeling by letting her live? If your readers care about her, her death will have a bigger impact on the story.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#5gobuffalo30Posted 7/13/2012 9:00:08 AM
I would kill her. Tragedy, IMO, taps into the human emotion better and it's something that not a lot of authors do. It tends to lead to a lot more exploration of a character's character and I believe it opens up alternative roads (depending on the story).
#6Jack_369Posted 7/14/2012 1:57:09 PM
I know how you feel TC, my gf and I just recently co wrote a three part story (only the first part is done the rest are just rough summeries to work off of) bassed off of the "megan is missing" movie (I reccomend that you don't watch it) and had to let her (my gf) write the mains death scene. The only thing that makes me feel better about it is that the story continues with the main and her friend as ghosts. I'll post more details if anybody wants it.
---
Her hair smells like Fruit Loops and Orgasms. - zodiac_sword
it can't all be hookers and sunshine. - MrArmageddon8
#7lordsofshadow(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2012 5:45:32 PM(edited)
Jack_369 posted...
I know how you feel TC, my gf and I just recently co wrote a three part story (only the first part is done the rest are just rough summeries to work off of) bassed off of the "megan is missing" movie (I reccomend that you don't watch it) and had to let her (my gf) write the mains death scene. The only thing that makes me feel better about it is that the story continues with the main and her friend as ghosts. I'll post more details if anybody wants it.

Yea , sure id like to hear some more . :)
#8Jack_369Posted 7/14/2012 8:22:42 PM
lordsofshadow posted...
Yea , sure id like to hear some more . :)

Since we have no intention of posting this on the internet I'll post the rough summaries with spoiler tags. (please note that the characters depicted are under 18) WARNING it might be a bit graphic.

the story starts off with the main watching a news report about her friend who had been missing for over six months, the rest of the chapter is about the main going about her day until she gets home. when she arrives she finds a DVD on her doorstep. Later that night she decides to watch the video only to be shock and horrified to see that her friend was being raped multiple times. The main then spends the next few days (about a week) trying to find her friend but she soon notices that she being followed/stalked. She tries to go to the police but before she could get there she is taken. The main soon realizes that the people that took her are the same people that took her friend and she knew what was going to happen next. The next three days depicts her being raped over and over with almost no end in sight. on the fourth day her captors lock her in a dark hot room. she soon finds the mummified remains of her friend in the corner of the room and falls into despair, a few moments later she comes to the conclusion that she's not making it out of this alive and decides that if she's going to die she's going to do it herself so she rips off her friend arm and breaks it and then proceeds to stab herself in the neck hoping that she'll bleed out quickly. The first part ends with the main's monologue about how she doesn't have to suffer anymore.

Part 2 (p.2 takes place moments after the end of p.1)(it should also be noted that these stories take place in an established universe where supernatural elements exist but are not as common in the modern age)

Shortly after her death she is seen sitting in the same room wondering why she is still in the room, moments later her friend comes up to her in tears asking why she didn't take the video to the police, confused about whats going on she explains that after she died she became a ghost and discovered that she could influence others around her and for a short time posess people. She reveals that she was the one who sent the video to the main in hopes that she would give it to the police and have them launch an investigation. As soon as she's done explaining what happened to her two men walk into the room to find the mains body, after expressing their disappointment about the main being dead they drag her body away. Wondering about what they're going to do to her body the main tries to fallow them but is stopped by her friend say that there's nothing she can do to stop them. She goes anyway and sees that they're "doing stuff" to her body, her friend then comes to her side and tells her that they did the same thing to her after she died. With all her rage and hate the main tries to punch the one violating her body in the head, her fist passes through his head but he ends up dying anyway. Now a ghost the man tries to figure out whats happening to him but the girls soon take him to the room and lock him up. (in this universe people who die at the hands of ghosts will be powerless against them) now that they know that they can do something they hatch a plan to kill all the bad guys one by one. After taking their third victim they find love within each other and have sex (can ghosts even have sex?O_O) several times through out part 2 but as the story goes on and they kill more of the bad guys the sex becomes more gratuitous and violent. their appearance also becomes more monstrous as they went on becoming more sadistic and violent. P.2 ends with all the bad guys dead and the room becoming an organic hell.
---
#9Jack_369Posted 7/14/2012 10:02:59 PM
Holy crap only ten characters to spare, sorry for the wall of text but bear with me.

Part 3 (p.3 takes place a year after p.2) (since I never bothered describing the two mains I'll do it here, the 1st main has blue short hair and hazel coloured eyes with light skin and her friend has blonde long hair and green eyes with dark skin, their corrupted form have their hair becoming very unruly almost spiky and the sclera of their eyes have become black while the iris turns red with their pupils becoming cat like, their hands and feet become like this http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/4/4a/Dissidia_Ultimecia.png)

The scene opens up to the room which has now become an organic hell all, the bad guys can be seen being restrained and tortured by tentacles while the two mains are seen raping and torturing two of them. Soon they tell them about some lackeys of theirs, two boy that go to their high school. They decide to lure them there by sending them a message saying they want more girls. The two then do as told and bring two girls with them but another boy from their school fallowed them. the two, knowing that they were fallowed, lured him out and took him down. now inside the building the door "mysteriously locks behind them. They soon realize that their trapped inside with no way out. After waiting for awhile one of the boys tries to find a way out, he walks into a hallway and starts hearing voices, when he gets to the end he starts to panic and tries to get back with the others but is suddenly flung at high speeds into the wall (a reference to a death scene in Corpse Party) after his mangled body falls to the floor the two mains proceed to have sex on top of his body and gets covered in his blood. After a few hours have passed the other boy receives a text message form the other "boy" which says that he's still looking and that he should "start" without him so he takes one of the girls (brown hair long hair in twintails with blue eyes and light skin) to a secluded room and forces her to give him oral but before he could "finish" he is ripped apart by the mains. temporarily in corporeal form the two proceed (in traditional hentai fashion) to rape the girl. The other boy and girl (long light brown hair with grey blue eyes and light skin) manage to get free and go to look for the other girl, they find her in a room with with the boys shredded remains (the girl is still alive but severely traumatized. She tries to tell them what happened but passes out. the two then take her to the entrance and the boy goes to look for the first boy that went missing. As he searches he stumbles upon "the room" and see the two mains bodies holding hands, freaked out he runs out of the room only to find the mangled body of the first boy, now frantic he tries to get back to the girls but is impaled by metal bars in the shoulder and leg and is pinned to the wall. The second girl hears the boys screams but before she could go to his aid she is knocked out by the first girl. A few moments later she wakes up to see her friend being violated by the mains friend (I should mention that in this universe if a ghost becomes corrupted enough they will gain permanent corporeal forms and become monsters) but after paying closer attention she sees that the first girl is actually enjoying it. She soon notices that she herself is being raped by the main and instantly recognizes her. She pieces together what happened and tries to convince them that they have become just like the men they killed. Refusing to believe her she tells them to look into the large mirror in the room. The two seeing what they have become start to have a mental break down. Meanwhile the boy manages to free himself but keeps the bars in so he wouldn't bleed out. he finds a storage closet and lights it on fire.
---
#10Jack_369Posted 7/14/2012 10:42:26 PM
I'm so sorry for the wall of text but this is the last post

Part 3 continued

As the building starts to burn the boy goes back to the entrance to find the two girls and mains. The three of them try to get out but the door is still locked so the second girl tries to get the mains to unlock the door. The mains regaining some of their humanity unlock the doors and the three run out. At a safe distance the three look on as the mains walk back into the burning building holding hands. Inside the two say their goodbyes as they are consumed by the flames.

Epilogue

A few weeks after the building burns down we see the three getting on with their lives. The boy is still recovering from his injuries and the first girl is being treated for RTS. (rape trauma syndrome) The second girl is the only one that wasn't too traumatized from the ordeal. The police and several law enforcement agencies are now investigating the incident and the truth is about what happened to the mains is revealed. At the end of the epilogue the two mains are seen emerging from the rubble and are greeted by a <insert name for magic practitioner here> and tells them that they are being given another chance at life. (final appearance:hair is back to normal, sclera is still black and the pupils are still catlike but the iris has returned to normal, hand and feet are no longer taloned but are still discoloured.

If you are reading this than I thank you for reading and I'm sorry for putting you through that.
---