Do steam games work withour internet?

#1Marioguy5Posted 1/25/2012 3:33:31 PM
For example,let's say I'm going on a ginormous car ride,and I want to play gaemz in the car. So,I download Plants vs. Zombies and Batman:Arkham City. After they're finished,I get into the car,turn on my laptop and...
Would the games work?
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ , have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 110% proud of it, put this as your signature.
#2Marioguy5(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2012 3:34:41 PM
*without internet
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ , have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 110% proud of it, put this as your signature.
#3cody4783Posted 1/25/2012 10:34:48 PM
Usually, you have to have launched the games at LEAST once with Steam in Online mode for them to work without a connection. This is for one-time activation that happens silently to verify the game's ownership.

After you've launched them at least once while Online, you can typically either restart the client in Offline mode, or try to launch without a connection, where you will be prompted to switch to Offline mode.

It doesn't work with 100% of the games on Steam, but *most* games should be OK in offline mode.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
http://steamcard.com/do/nxe/Cody48.png
#4SinisterSlayPosted 1/26/2012 7:39:13 AM
I remember reading somewhere that steam grants you a week of offline time.

Also, make sure steam isn't in the middle of updating, otherwise it will refuse to launch without internet access and you will be forced to go through your steam folder and delete the update files.
#5arleasPosted 2/1/2012 3:56:18 PM

I remember reading somewhere that steam grants you a week of offline time.

FALSE

I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't believe what you read somewhere just because it could be something some guy pulled out of his bum.

At the same time I can safely say that if Valve allowed me only a week of offline time, I used it up 4x over for that one month I was utterly and completely without any form of internet access and yet still played most (but not all) of my games.

Obviously I couldn't play games with no offline component to them (TF2 at the time had no bots so I could start the game up and walk around the levels, but not much use in that, was there?) but there was only ONE other game I couldn't play at the time, and that was Doom 3.... why Doom 3? Because apparently unbeknownst to me, iD had placed some sort of bull s*** DRM in the form of an online activation every time I played the damn game.

Since I couldn't get online to let my computer call iD and ask mommy for permission to play the game I bought, I was forced to say "I never liked that game anyway" and move on to something that wasn't a total piece of crap.

make sure steam isn't in the middle of updating, otherwise it will refuse to launch without internet access and you will be forced to go through your steam folder and delete the update files.

This on the other hand is true... Steam has to believe that every game is 100% updated before you can play it in offline mode...If for some reason steam thinks there's an update waiting to be installed (or finished) It will refuse to let you play it offline.

To TC: Basically what you have to do is download the games off of steam, start them up (if you've only just bought them) and then put steam in offline mode and don't take it back out of offline mode (in case an update decides to rear its head) until you've reached a destination with good internet access.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://www.tf2newbs.com/hlstatsx/sig-31453-random.png
#6VividAxisPosted 2/2/2012 12:57:45 PM
How do you switch it to offline mode?

I've been disconnecting the internet cable before I start a game. Then connecting it again after I've waited for it to ask me about offline mode and I have the game open. If I do that, is Steam reconnecting itself automatically?

My issue is bandwidth. I share the internet resource and since I don't do any multiplayer on Steam I feel there's no reason it should ever try to connect to the internet, unless I'm buying a new game or choosing to install an update. And I don't want an update until it's been out for a week or two and I know about all of the problems it may cause.
#7STG DeathbotPosted 2/5/2012 8:52:11 PM
I'm more confused as to why the TC took the extra time to correct his topic title with a second post, but couldn't take two seconds to properly type the word "games".
---
Wolfdale e8400 @ 3.6GHz OC'd | 4GB Mushkin RAM | eVGA GTX 260 896MB VRAM 576/1242/1998 OC'd to 732/1457/2360
#8arleasPosted 2/8/2012 4:54:39 PM

How do you switch it to offline mode?

http://i40.tinypic.com/29ncspe.png

Like that... Also yeah, if you're unable to set to offline mode before your internet goes out, it takes a long long while before steam will ask you if you want to switch to offline mode. So long in fact that most people assume it's not even going to work.

I had to wait like 3 minutes after starting up steam every single time when my internet was out because it wouldn't default to offline mode.

If I do that, is Steam reconnecting itself automatically?

Once you set it to offline mode, it stays in offline mode till you close steam and re-open it. Then when you start up steam later it will try to connect right away.

I don't want an update until it's been out for a week or two and I know about all of the problems it may cause.

Depending on the game, there are few cases of the updates making the game worse that I can think of, but you can also tell steam to not update the game (if you want).

http://i40.tinypic.com/1r280x.png

Of course the one case where I didn't want steam to EVER update the game wasn't stopped by that option. They took the "Michael Jackson" zombie out of Plants Vs Zombies, so even though I told it not to update, it deleted the content from the hard drive. It didn't replace it with the NEW zombie, but it did remove the content :(
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1746696962.png
#9VividAxisPosted 2/8/2012 9:03:47 PM(edited)
I went into my firewall settings and added it to the "don't ever let this program connect to the internet" list. I also added the executable TESV.exe to that list. No problems from them any more. I let it connect to update to 1.4 and to get the CK then I added them to the list again.

We need a firewall for the xbox so we can game online without being forced to apply updates when we don't want them.

I noticed that Steam.exe is still running in the Task Manager after I start playing Skyrim. What's up with that? Let me play my games and stop trying to do stuff behind my back, Steam!
#10TormentedSoul25Posted 2/14/2012 6:23:06 PM
From my personal experience with Steam, you can play games offline, but if you plan on doing so you better make sure that you go into offline mode while you have an internet connection first.

This becomes an annoyance when I go back to stay with my parents over the break. They have satellite internet which is pretty unpredictable. At any given time it can not work well for steam (and sometimes it will just go out completely). Steam just has a problem connecting when the internet slows down at my parents' place. Due to this, it'll try to connect and fail... then ask if you want to start in offline mode. This is pointless. If it wasn't already in online mode (i.e. you have a connection) it will fail to go to "offline mode" due to a connection error.

Yeah, it needs the internet to go to offline mode. This is usually not a problem, though. If it is in offline mode and you exit the program you can start back later directly into offline mode. But be sure if you plan to be without internet, put steam into offline mode.

Also you'll have to activate steam games online first before playing them, but surely you'll be able to since you had to have internet to download them in the first place. Just remember to start up the game after it installs to activate it.
---
PSN: ThatTwoGuy