How do I use my xbox controller for steam games that's designed for? *WARP Q*

#1Metroid_LoverPosted 12/8/2012 12:10:33 AM
Also, does it matter if it's the original xbox controller, or the 360 version?

I got the game WARP a while back and want to play it, but it looks like the controllers are made for the xbox controller.

I read that you have to have a special drivers to get it to work on steam, and you have to pay for that driver.

All searching on the net gives me 50/50 on the driver/program part, can someone clarify it for me?

I was wondering if this is true or not, and if someone could give me information on how to get it do this.

Since Steam games web pages, some say that they can be played with the xbox controller, that's why I'm asking here).

Do i just plug by xbox360 controller into the PC or have to to something first?

Thanks in advance!
---
Sony and Microsoft fight over who's boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them. :) -Walkiethroughie
#2Tempest of ShadowsPosted 12/8/2012 4:59:09 AM(edited)
I can't speak as to how Warp implements controller support specifically, as I haven't played that, but this is how using controllers generally works with a PC:

Wired Xbox 360 controllers can just plug into a USB port on your computer. If you use Windows, there's a free driver for it from Microsoft. That's here:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/xbox-360-controller-for-windows#support
This driver should work with just about any brand of 360 controller; I use it with an offbrand and have no issues.

A wireless 360 controller requires a receiver that plugs into the PC to detect the controller's signal. If you don't have one of those receivers (the 360 doesn't come with one, as far as I know), you'd have to buy that. It uses the same Windows driver as above, I think. If not, you can still find a free download of the needed driver on microsoft.com.

The original Xbox controller won't plug into a PC without some modifications to the controller cord or an adapter, as far as I know.

Now, the tricky part is that every game can implement controller support differently. With some, all you need is to plug the controller in, get that driver above, and you're good. With other games, that doesn't work. One example, from my personal experience, is Oblivion. That game won't recognize the right stick or triggers on my controller. For situations like that, there is optional paid software that can improve support for some games by mapping the controller buttons to keyboard presses. Xpadder is popular for this, though I've not tried it personally. I've been meaning to, but never got around to buying it. This software is not a driver or a replacement for the driver. You'll still need the driver listed above.

---
Fringes of Algo - Phantasy Star Community - http://www.psalgo.com/
#3Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 3:15:10 PM
Tempest of Shadows posted...
I can't speak as to how Warp implements controller support specifically, as I haven't played that, but this is how using controllers generally works with a PC:

Wired Xbox 360 controllers can just plug into a USB port on your computer. If you use Windows, there's a free driver for it from Microsoft. That's here:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/xbox-360-controller-for-windows#support
This driver should work with just about any brand of 360 controller; I use it with an offbrand and have no issues.

A wireless 360 controller requires a receiver that plugs into the PC to detect the controller's signal. If you don't have one of those receivers (the 360 doesn't come with one, as far as I know), you'd have to buy that. It uses the same Windows driver as above, I think. If not, you can still find a free download of the needed driver on microsoft.com.

The original Xbox controller won't plug into a PC without some modifications to the controller cord or an adapter, as far as I know.

Now, the tricky part is that every game can implement controller support differently. With some, all you need is to plug the controller in, get that driver above, and you're good. With other games, that doesn't work. One example, from my personal experience, is Oblivion. That game won't recognize the right stick or triggers on my controller. For situations like that, there is optional paid software that can improve support for some games by mapping the controller buttons to keyboard presses. Xpadder is popular for this, though I've not tried it personally. I've been meaning to, but never got around to buying it. This software is not a driver or a replacement for the driver. You'll still need the driver listed above.

If there was a way to give Rep or cookies or something I would give you a dozen.
That info helped a lot, thank you!

*I asked steam the same question and they only pointed me to another forum to ask the question, there tech support is getting sloppier and poor-er.*
#4Tempest of ShadowsPosted 12/8/2012 8:50:21 PM
You're welcome, glad I was able to help. That's a shame about Steam support's answer. I would have figured they would get this question enough to at least have a canned answer that covered most of this.
---
Fringes of Algo - Phantasy Star Community - http://www.psalgo.com/
#5Black_Zero_XPosted 12/23/2012 1:55:25 AM
Tempest of Shadows posted...

If there was a way to give Rep or cookies or something I would give you a dozen.
That info helped a lot, thank you!

*I asked steam the same question and they only pointed me to another forum to ask the question, there tech support is getting sloppier and poor-er.*

Steam Support is stupid lol - don't trust their answers at all.

Sometimes they just copy paste stuffs to look professional in emails.
---
You don't need a reason to help people.
Member of KAMOTE FORCE 5, Black_Zero_X!
#6mrtzeentchPosted 12/23/2012 9:25:11 AM
I've noticed that some games on Steam are even customized for 360 controllers. Mirror's edge for example changes all the button layouts to match a 360 one even in dalogue/tutorial messages.
---
why they dont teach cops to be better shooters so they can shoot the knive from his hand - MCCHOKE4PREZ
#7Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 12/25/2012 12:58:35 PM
mrtzeentch posted...
I've noticed that some games on Steam are even customized for 360 controllers. Mirror's edge for example changes all the button layouts to match a 360 one even in dalogue/tutorial messages.

That's good to know, I got Mirror's edge during the holiday sale still going on, (-75% off, yea!) so when I can sit at my PC, I'll definitely check that out.
---
"It's unfair to the rest of the letters in the word to only capitalize the first". - Tuoh
#8Caution999Posted 12/27/2012 12:36:28 PM
tag
---
"Impossible is just a word to let people feel good about themselves when they quit." - Vyse, Skies of Arcadia.
#9Caution999Posted 1/9/2013 8:58:50 AM
tag version 2
---
"Impossible is just a word to let people feel good about themselves when they quit." - Vyse, Skies of Arcadia.