Knights of the Geek Republic

#161SoBePosted 4/24/2014 8:12:28 PMmessage detail
I got caught up on Californication. This is the last season so I'm going to try to watch the new ones.
---
#162bandekuPosted 4/25/2014 3:03:01 PMmessage detail
CynicalZealot posted...
Before that, honestly. I got into it around the time of Revised/Fallen Empires. And while there WAS a story (mostly told in implied flavor text, a number of novels, and a bunch of comics), most of that really didn't effect the game itself all that much.

It wasn't really until after AEG made a minor sensation with Legend of the Five Rings (a card game where EVERYTHING tied into the major story being told, and tournament wins would literally determine events - and cards - in later card sets) that Wizards of the Coast decided that maybe Magic needed a more cohesive story - which led to stuff like the Weatherlight saga and all the stuff with Urza. They've kind of backed off that now (because most people got tired of it), but I'd say that was definitely the period when story "mattered" for Magic.

...but I wasn't even playing at that point, because I'd sort of dropped the game after Ice Age: Alliances and Mirage.

I've bought a few stand-alone cards since then (and the occasional pre-made deck or stuff like Archenemy, which I love), and I still occasionally play with friends, but we're all mostly playing with older cards and using modified Type I/Legacy rules (ie, mainly, what the rules were back in 1995-96 or so), because none of us have any desire to stay updated on a game we really only play a few times a year (at best) anyway.

My main deck is basically a burn deck (black/red), and my secondary is a black/blue hand denial deck. I used to occasionally get weird and build random decks just to amuse myself (like the white weenie horde deck I made solely out of Benalish cards and a few others to take a jab at a friend of mine who always used to complain that Benalish Hero was a crap card), but I haven't done that in years.

I do still have all the original novels (most of which have been retconned out of continuity) and nearly all of the Valiant/Acclaim comics (most of which have been retconned out of continuity), though. Even had a letter published in one of them. And supposedly won a prize, which was never shipped, the bastards.

Blighboy posted...
I'm the kind of guy who will look intensely through a deck of magic cards for hours, wallowing in the artwork and flavour text, but wouldn't touch the game with a ten foot pole.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you guys are right now. If Magic currently had more of a story to it, I would enjoy playing with my friends more. I used to enjoy the game for just the sake of playing it years ago, but between the people who I did play with slowly became unavailable to play, combined with me getting tired of the technical stuff / finding it tedious to research and find cards that would work well with any deck I wanted to play with it just became more of a chore than fun. I knew there were Magic novels around, I just haven't read them. I'll have to look for them. The only reason I play right now is because I have a few friends that do. And even then, the game (For me personally) is wearing out it's welcome REALLY fast.
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/AJSadler/bandeku.jpg
#163SoBePosted 4/25/2014 3:03:35 PMmessage detail
http://urlm.co/www.gamefaqs.com

Intersting stuff. I'm a bit surprised Gamefaqs is only worth that much.
---
#164CynicalZealotPosted 4/25/2014 7:03:07 PMmessage detail
SoBe posted...
http://urlm.co/www.gamefaqs.com

Intersting stuff. I'm a bit surprised Gamefaqs is only worth that much.

Low value per visitor due to most people here being tech savvy enough to block ads, maybe?

---
"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--- Vyvyan, The Young Ones
#165SoBePosted 4/25/2014 8:53:46 PMmessage detail
I was referring more to the $6 million estimated worth. That seems low somehow. It makes me curious to know how much it was worth when it was sold to Cnet.
---
#166ParanoidObsessive(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2014 9:33:29 PMmessage detail
SoBe posted...
I was referring more to the $6 million estimated worth. That seems low somehow. It makes me curious to know how much it was worth when it was sold to Cnet.

Yeah, but my point is that the worth is probably calculated (at least partially) by multiplying the value per user by the number of users/number of views per user. So a low user-value would mean lower overall value.

Conversely, a site like Facebook has higher individual user value because of the higher number of users on there who are less tech savvy, and more exposed to advertising, raising their potential value to marketing agencies (and thus, raising the overall value of the site as a whole).

---
"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family
#167Entity13Posted 4/25/2014 9:46:38 PMmessage detail
So... I don't have a link handy right this second, but it turns out Marvel has confirmed that they're killing off Wolverine in the final quarter of this year.
---
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg
#168CyborgSage00x0Posted 4/26/2014 2:17:11 AMmessage detail
I swear years ago, like, 5+, GFaqs was in the top 200 of US sites.

Competition from other sites and Reddit killing page views, I guess.
---
PotD's resident Film Expert.
#169ParanoidObsessive(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2014 2:39:49 AMmessage detail
CyborgSage00x0 posted...
I swear years ago, like, 5+, GFaqs was in the top 200 of US sites.

Competition from other sites and Reddit killing page views, I guess.

Yeah, but like I've been saying for a while now, younger kids aren't making new accounts here any more. They're a generation that've started using specialized wikis and YouTube video walkthroughs and Let's Plays for games, so the idea of looking for a FAQ when they're stuck is almost alien to them. And as for the message board side of things, why would ANYONE want to come here when alternatives like 4chan, Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, etc exist?

You can see it in the "How old are you?" polls - the existing user-base is aging up, and the influx of new users to refresh the pool is a trickle of what it used to be. And it's a large part of why SBAllen (probably under orders from C|Net/CBS higher ups) keeps trying to tweak the code and add new features - there's an assumption that if they can modernize enough, more people will be drawn here. But I think the underlying cause is far more sociological than that, and they're pretty much screwed.

It's also part of why we're seeing a fair amount of degradation in terms of quality posts. Basically, as quality older users eventually get fed up and leave, or just get too busy with life, or even just flat out die, the people left behind tend to be statistically more towards the terrible end of the curve. It's ALWAYS been that way (good users tending to eventually leave while the worst users seem to stay forever), but it was less noticeable back when there'd always be a fresh influx of new users to replace the ones that left, and keep reinventing board culture in general.

Now the population is basically stagnant, and overall discourse becomes worse and worse. Yeats actually predicted message board dynamics decades in advance - "The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity."

It's a large part of why I spend most of my time in the Geek topics these days. It's rapidly becoming a wasteland out there.

---
#170ParanoidObsessive(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2014 2:40:26 AMmessage detail
Also, now I know the pain the Usenetters felt when Eternal September began.

---