Knights of the Geek Republic

#21CynicalZealotPosted 4/4/2014 3:08:50 PMmessage detail
SoBe posted...
Kindred: The Embraced was a pretty good show from what I remember. I still feel Forever Knight was the best when it comes to vampire shows on television.

Forever Knight was pretty good, though the overall production quality wasn't the best (not surprising for a Canadian show in the early 90's). I do have all three seasons on DVD, though.

That being said, if I had to pick a vampire show from the last 20 years or so, I'd probably go with Angel over other stuff.

Moonlight could have been interesting, if the Writers' Strike hadn't murdered it. Though that was mostly just a higher-budget remake of Forever Knight anyway.

SoBe posted...
Did you pull random pictures off of the internet for those?

Basically. It was sort of standard operating procedure for people playing online to find pictures for whatever character they were playing, so they could have a character page somewhere and send the link to anyone they met in-game so people would have a strong mental image of what the character looked like.

Grabbing actors and actresses was pretty common, though some people would go to model sites instead so as to find unrecognizable faces for characters, because having blatantly famous actors/actresses can take you out of the immersion.

The irony is that I usually used to try and avoid blatantly famous actors for characters, but in at least a few cases, I'd use a somewhat unknown or relatively low-profile actor for a character, and they'd wind up becoming much more famous afterward (prime example - I used Natalie Portman for a character before it was announced she was going to be in Phantom Menace).

You can generally tell when I made a character - my earliest characters I tended to use actors, then my later ones tended to be more obscure models because I try to avoid anyone recognizable.

My later characters also tend to be more female than male, because it's SO much easier to find pictures of female models online than it is male models, which makes it much easier to find pictures for female characters.

A lot of my more recent characters aren't vampires, though (at least not the vampires on those pages) - most of the characters I've been making lately are Amber DRPG characters. I'd actually been working on some Vampire characters over the last year or so, but I never really finished them.

---
"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--- Vyvyan, The Young Ones
#22SoBePosted 4/4/2014 9:01:31 PMmessage detail
Basically. It was sort of standard operating procedure for people playing online to find pictures for whatever character they were playing, so they could have a character page somewhere and send the link to anyone they met in-game so people would have a strong mental image of what the character looked like.

Grabbing actors and actresses was pretty common, though some people would go to model sites instead so as to find unrecognizable faces for characters, because having blatantly famous actors/actresses can take you out of the immersion.

Do you have the source material for those intact? There were a few that looked very familiar but I couldn't place a name with the face.
---
#23ParanoidObsessive(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2014 4:10:43 AMmessage detail
SoBe posted...
Do you have the source material for those intact? There were a few that looked very familiar but I couldn't place a name with the face.

Probably not. A lot of times it was grab quick and move on. And like I said, most of my Vampire characters (as opposed to my Mage, Changeling, or Amber characters) were definitely from a lot longer ago (like 15 years ago long ago).

For some characters, I'd try to remember or figure out who the original model was years later to look for new pictures, and even Google Image Search can't find copies of the original pictures for comparison, so I'm kind of adrift on a few of them. Part of why I DID start documenting who the model for a specific character was much later on, but that won't necessarily help here.

On the other hand, some characters I definitely still remember the source, so if you give the character names you're wondering about, I can tell you who if I remember.

(it's the Asian characters, isn't it?)

---
"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family
#24shadowsword87Posted 4/5/2014 4:14:57 AMmessage detail
ParanoidObsessive posted...
If you're planning on running a Vampire game, which edition would you be interested in? I'd assume your options are either 2nd ed, Revised, or the 20th Anniversary edition, but I have no idea which you're leaning towards, or if you even know the differences between them (or possibly more importantly, which version your friend prefers, and thus would want to play in).

There are variations between the three different systems in terms of both rules and setting details, and which you pick might influence what sort of game you're going to run. It also helps me know which sourcebooks or info I should recommend for you.

It all depends on what he says, because I have no idea.
And three? I thought it was just Old World of Darkness and New World of Darkness.
---
http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/games/1/16/15474/thumb_620x2000/boot.gif
#25brisashiPosted 4/5/2014 4:16:27 AMmessage detail
What is this

Can I post in it
---
A wizard did it.
I like cute animals and think we should have more topics for them. http://i.imgur.com/ZCsYOxj.png
#26ParanoidObsessive(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2014 4:44:14 AMmessage detail
shadowsword87 posted...
And three? I thought it was just Old World of Darkness and New World of Darkness.

Nah. Original flavor World of Darkness (usually abbreviated oWoD (for "old") or cWoD (for "classic")) started out with all of the core game lines (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Wraith, Changeling) getting somewhat rough 1st edition rule sets, and then later getting improved, cleaner, more streamlined and "bug-tested" 2nd edition rules.

(also, for reference, the 1st ed versions were always paperback books, while the 2nd ed were all hardcover)

Later, Vampire, Werewolf, and Mage all got "Revised" editions (basically 3e), which were supposed to be like the perfected versions of the rules. But since it's currently the 20th anniversary of the original games, White Wolf has been putting out 20th Anniversary editions for the main three (Mage actually just ended its Kickstarter for Mage 20 like three days ago).

http://s30.postimg.org/42s36i8dd/Vampire.jpg

In Vampire's case, 1st edition was REALLY heavy on Anne Rice overtones, where the setting was all about how tragic and terrible it was to be a vampire, boo hoo. 2nd edition kind of filed off a lot of the rough edges and played up more of the manipulative politics aspects of the setting, while Revised cranked up more of a "THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END IN 20 MINUTES" vibe (basically, the version of the setting that you see in Bloodlines, if you play it/watch a Let's Play).

When it comes to rules, Revised probably has the best interpretation of how the rules work. 1st ed rules are a bit rough, and 2nd ed are smoother, but Revised really perfects a lot of systems.

Vampire 20(th Anniversary edition), on the other hand, is kind of a mish-mash of both 2nd ed and Revised, smashed together with a handful of new rules added, which kind of makes it confusing for anyone who doesn't already have earlier versions of Vampire/aren't familiar with the system.

If I were going to personally recommend a system, I'd say Revised, with 2nd edition as an alternative. I'd avoid 1st edition and Vamp20 if you can. But again, you're probably better off just going with whatever your player actually prefers, since they're the ones who already have strong opinions, and you can probably adapt to whichever one they like best.

Especially since which version you're playing WILL likely influence what sort of game you're playing. 1st ed tends more towards "personal horror", 2nd is more "politics among the Damned" (ie, what you see in Kindred: the Embraced), Revised is more intrigue, mystery, and fiddling while Rome burns as the End Times seem to be creeping up on you (which is what you see in Vampire - Bloodlines), and Vamp20 is sort of deliberately set somewhere between 2nd ed and Revised in the timeline.

Also, Revised plays with "metaplot" a hell of a lot more - ie, telling you about all sorts of crazy important events happening to other people around the world while you're doing whatever it is you're doing, to make the world feel more like a real place and less like a stage play set up solely for the PCs. Some players love metaplot, some players hate it. So that's something else you'll probably have to ask your player about (don't worry - if they don't like metaplot, it's generally easy to ignore).

Personally, I love metaplot - so if they like it and you need help with it, I can explain a lot of it to you when you have questions. Mainly Who's Who, what happens when, what ridiculous sorts of things happen in the Clan Novels if you don't feel like reading them, etc.

---
#27ParanoidObsessive(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2014 4:55:50 AMmessage detail
Oh, in case it wasn't clear - EVERYTHING I just described IS "old" World of Darkness.

"New" World of Darkness is an entirely different setting, with radically different systems, settings, and characters.

The quick breakdown is that if you're playing Vampire: the Masquerade, you're playing oWoD, whereas nWoD has Vampire: the Requiem.

Personally, I dislike nWoD (Requiem is okay, but I DESPISE the nWoD take on Mage in spite of oWoD Mage being my favorite RPG ever possibly barring Amber DRPG).

nWoD never really seemed to catch on as strongly as oWoD did, and it's mostly a dead system at this point (technically, BOTH are dead systems - though oWoD seems to be experiencing a bit of a rebirth since they're releasing the Anniversary editions, a handful of new sourcebooks, and if CCP Games ever finishes their WoD MMORPG, it will be set in the oWoD).

---
#28ParanoidObsessive(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2014 1:36:33 PMmessage detail
Oh, and there's also their Dark Ages line of books, which started out as the "past" of the old World of Darkness setting but sort of evolved into more of a stand-alone medieval version of the setting.

---
#29SoBePosted 4/5/2014 2:24:41 PMmessage detail
(it's the Asian characters, isn't it?)

One of them, yeah. It was Jade from the Venture set. She looks really familiar but I can't place her name. I was also wondering about Tanith and Blake from the Tzimisce and Nural Din from the Lasombra.

I did recognize that Julian Hunter of Gangrel is Loenzo Lamas, and Heinrich Vertrauen of Nosferatu is Joe Pantoliano. Also I think Gareth of the Brujah is the wrestler Triple H and Ian Syardis could be a much younger Dougray Scott. Not entirely certain on that though.
---
#30ParanoidObsessive(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2014 3:06:59 PMmessage detail
SoBe posted...
I did recognize that Julian Hunter of Gangrel is Loenzo Lamas, and Heinrich Vertrauen of Nosferatu is Joe Pantoliano. Also I think Gareth of the Brujah is the wrestler Triple H and Ian Syardis could be a much younger Dougray Scott. Not entirely certain on that though.

Right on all of the above.

SoBe posted...
One of them, yeah. It was Jade from the Venture set. She looks really familiar but I can't place her name.

It's Ventrue, not Venture. Granted, their Clan name was basically a pun on "Venture" because they're basically like evil undead venture capitalists, but still.

I didn't actually remember who she was offhand, though I used her like three times (once as a vampire, another time as a mage, and then once as the ancestor of another mage from like 1500 years ago). But she IS one of the ones I have a name for in my image files - it's Fumika Suzuki.

I was actually suspecting you might be wondering about Elaine Liangshu/Scheherazade, because I DID remember who she was (Michelle Reis), and I figured she's been in a number of movies you might theoretically have seen.

While on the subject, though, the other Asian character (DanaŽ) is Yuki Uchida.

Looking through my "Asian" character folder, I've also apparently used Emiri Henmi and Enomoto Kanako (both as ancestors to the same mage I mentioned earlier).

My list of Mage characters is probably like three times as big as the Vampire list, but I never got around to uploading all of them to Google the way I did Vampire (I used to have them all on Geocities back in the day, but Yahoo ruined that particular archive).

SoBe posted...
I was also wondering about Tanith and Blake from the Tzimisce and Nural Din from the Lasombra.

Blake is Kenneth Branagh. Tanith is - if I remember correctly - a picture of Catherine Zeta Jones when she was much younger that looks almost nothing like Catherine Zeta Jones (so much so that I always used to wonder if the picture was maybe mislabeled when I found it).

Nural Din I know I got off a model site, and I also know she's not on that site anymore, and didn't seem to be anywhere else online either the last time I went looking.

The original site said her name was Lily Harris-Oberto, but doing a Google Search now actually seems to be throwing up a few different picture collections (along with her Twitter account) calling her Lily Alejandra, so I'll assume she's either using a pseudonym, or she got married, or she was married at one point and got divorced (or remarried), or whatever.

---