Knights of the Geek Republic

#461ParanoidObsessive(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2014 3:27:06 PMmessage detail
Oh, and also:

ParanoidObsessive posted...
The only real confusing part of it (IMO) is that we're generally conditioned to think of higher numbers as being better, so you'd instinctively think you want a high AC

Forgot to mention the same applies to THAC0 - you'd think higher numbers are better, but with THAC0, lower is definitely better.

So, low THAC0 means you're really, really good at hitting things.

Of course, when it comes to AC, you DO want a high AC (because it means you're better at dodging). You just don't necessarily want it at the expensive of damage protection (because in heavier armor, you don't actually care if you get hit, because the things hitting you just bounce off).

---
"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family
#462Chef_ExcellencePosted 7/7/2014 3:43:32 PMmessage detail
AC doesn't discriminate between dodge and armor, unless you mean that you are relying on reflex rolls or something to avoid incoming damage, is that something in AD&D?
---
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/3677/jh9ao.jpg
......'An Excellent Post'......
#463shadowsword87Posted 7/7/2014 4:22:49 PMmessage detail(edited)
Chef_Excellence posted...
AC doesn't discriminate between dodge and armor, unless you mean that you are relying on reflex rolls or something to avoid incoming damage, is that something in AD&D?

Yeah PO's thinking of this wrong.
AC means how likely you are to do damage to them, not hit them. The idea is that in combat you're always swinging your sword and dodging out of the way, so having this giant plate mail armor means you're going to get hit, a lot, but it doesn't matter because you're not taking damage.
It's the same idea as getting multiple attacks per round, you're attacking them a whole crap ton, but that's just the actual chance for you to hit them.

PO, you don't know DnD.
---
http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/games/1/16/15474/thumb_620x2000/boot.gif
#464CynicalZealotPosted 7/8/2014 2:57:56 PMmessage detail(edited)
shadowsword87 posted...
The idea is that in combat you're always swinging your sword and dodging out of the way, so having this giant plate mail armor means you're going to get hit, a lot, but it doesn't matter because you're not taking damage.

That's literally exactly what I was saying.

I think the problem is that the rest of you are thinking in 3e terms, but I'm talking about 1/2e AD&D. How AC is handled in 3e (and 4e) is radically different than earlier versions.

---
"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--- Vyvyan, The Young Ones
#465ParanoidObsessive(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2014 6:57:47 PMmessage detail
Incidentally, I had to go to the vet today to put my dog down. I think I've spent most of the day being constantly reminded of her like every five minutes.

"Here I am, unlocking the front door, the dog is going to hear this and get excited like she usually... oh."

"Lights are off in the hallway where she sleeps, better sneak through quiet so she doesn't wake up... oh."

"This food is good, I should save a piece for... oh."

Even walking around and occasionally smelling a bit of "doggy smell" is kind of making me sad.

The last good and pure thing in me has died. If I wasn't so lazy and easily distracted by video games, this is totally the point where I would absolutely trigger my doomsday weapon to shatter the Earth's crust.

---
"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family
#466SoBePosted 7/9/2014 9:26:57 PMmessage detail
Have to be moved out by noon on Friday. Not sure when I will have internet set up so I'll see you guys when I see you.
---
#467Entity13Posted 7/9/2014 11:35:16 PMmessage detail
I hope you come back to us safely, SoBe.

And, PO... *hugs*
---
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg
#468KorruptorPosted 7/10/2014 1:51:09 PMmessage detail
Maybe you should get another dog PO, one that isn't male, doesn't like to chew stuff or doesn't shed hair like crazy.
#469SoBePosted 7/10/2014 2:04:01 PMmessage detail
Oh I'll be back. You can't get rid of me that easily. Besides, PO still needs a proper nemesis and with Wave gone I am the only one who can fill that role. ;)
---
#470Entity13Posted 7/10/2014 3:41:23 PMmessage detail
I'm so glad that's an r.
---
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg