Geek Eternal

#111SoBePosted 8/15/2014 2:42:56 PMmessage detail
Hope wasn't that bad honestly. He just had to grow up really fast and deal with his issues. Traumatic events like that would overwhelm most kids at his age, but he managed to deal with it relatively well considering the situation.
---
#112ParanoidObsessivePosted 8/15/2014 8:06:19 PMmessage detail
Blighboy posted...
Entity13 posted...
*Hated Hope*

Did anyone like Hope?

The Japanese probably liked Hope. He's a very Japanocentric sort of character.

Unfortunately, there are certain archetypes that the Japanese love that grate really hard on Western sensibilities.

Blighboy posted...
I just think that linearity gets tossed up a lot when it's quite literally the least of FFXIII's problems.

Since we're on the subject, this video was originally posted last week (though I only saw it earlier today), and I found myself agreeing with a lot of the ideas he mentions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DGSR7ZY_sU

---
"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family
#113BlighboyPosted 8/15/2014 8:07:54 PMmessage detail
Jim Sterling the best yo.

I mean at some point you realize he's mostly just talking about the same problems each week and it can get kind of repetitive but he's still hilarious.

He's definitely right in that the entire FF XIII "series" was a train wreck of over complicated what.
---
http://i.imgur.com/CR8hEE5.jpg
#114Raganork10Posted 8/15/2014 8:09:16 PMmessage detail
Entity13 posted...
*Liked Fang the most of XIII's cast*

*Hated Hope*

And Squeenix made him even worse in Lightning Returns. I'm seriously dreading playing the game because Squeenix went out of their way to make Lightning and Hope some of the absolute worst characters in the entire series.
#115Entity13(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2014 8:15:18 PMmessage detail
ParanoidObsessive posted...
Since we're on the subject, this video was originally posted last week (though I only saw it earlier today), and I found myself agreeing with a lot of the ideas he mentions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DGSR7ZY_sU

*Applauds*
---
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg
#116Entity13(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2014 8:39:45 PMmessage detail
Raganork10 posted...
Entity13 posted...
*Liked Fang the most of XIII's cast*

*Hated Hope*

And Squeenix made him even worse in Lightning Returns. I'm seriously dreading playing the game because Squeenix went out of their way to make Lightning and Hope some of the absolute worst characters in the entire series.

You see, here's what bothers me about Lightning:

I love gender bender stuff, most people know I do who know me, but somehow a female Cloud ended up being dull and terrible. Maybe this is because Cloud was originally supposed to be a female character in the first place, or MAYBE (and most likely) XIII had the problem of starring a cast that did not challenge the lead's attempt at being a know-it-all, arrogant stoic like VII did to its credit; what we got were a handful of people that more or less went with it and she never truly developed as a character as a result.

Cloud? Look at him pre-KH or AC. When VII started, he was an ass who knew a lot and didn't care about much, but his allies constantly called him out or questioned him. Then he learned that his big rival, whom he thought he killed, might be alive again, and suddenly he cares. Suddenly he's on a quest to change, even if he doesn't realize it until the fiasco that made him lose his mind and his childhood friend has to pull him out of it. Then he improves! ...and then the game ends, and we're left with a sequel where he becomes an emo P.O.S. for no reason other than Squeenix's "It sells."

Compare this again to Luke from Tales of the Abyss, whose big catastrophe at the middle of the game changes him, and he becomes a progressively selfless and better person by the end when he sacrifices himself for the greater good of the world. Then, in an epilogue scene, he comes back, and does so without moping about needlessly.

Squall continued to be an idiot both intellectually and emotionally; Zidane continued to be pointless monkey boy who the princess can't do without (which says worse for her). Tidus is the last leading character of FF to go through a transformation (for the better). He is thrust into a journey where everyone calls him out on his baggery, realizes that he's the result of a dream, and turns into a more responsible and caring person who laughs and smiles because he feels the need to do so... all before disappearing from the living world (until the "good" ending of the sequel, but let's not go there).

Don't get me wrong, I still like XIII and XIII-2, but Lightning did not develop at all as a human being, no matter what revelations came along. From what I've seen and heard of Lightning Returns, she still only cares about her sister, and gives more monologues than Other M's Samus, and more painfully long as well. They only character who could come close to challenging her to become a better person was a villain who cannot, for some reason, stay dead, and even he failed to have much of an effect on her.

Jim Sterling is right. Squeenix cares more about excessive visual detail than they do about character depth or development.

The main character of Mystic Quest develops more in the first three minutes of the "RPG for beginners" than Squall, Zidane, Vaan, or Lightning combined in all of their games. That's f***ing sad, it is.
---
#117ParanoidObsessivePosted 8/16/2014 1:31:21 PMmessage detail
Blighboy posted...
Jim Sterling the best yo.

I mean at some point you realize he's mostly just talking about the same problems each week and it can get kind of repetitive but he's still hilarious.

To be fair, as he himself points out a few times, he'd really love to stop complaining about the same few things over and over again, but he can't because they keep happening, and happening, and happening...

I agree with a lot of what he says. Though arguably, I think he overcompensates too hard when he's talking about gender disparity issues in gaming.

---
"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family
#118Entity13(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2014 7:23:55 PMmessage detail
Rejoice!

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/16/exclusive-original-unaltered-cut-of-star-wars-trilogy-to-be-rele/

And be ready to fork over some cash if you don't already have the original trilogy. I might get this, and it'll be the only blu-ray in my entire video library.
---
#119KorruptorPosted 8/18/2014 3:03:40 AMmessage detail
ParanoidObsessive posted...

I agree with a lot of what he says. Though arguably, I think he overcompensates too hard when he's talking about gender disparity issues in gaming.

Yeah, I think he is one of the few great game journalists out there but his flaw is that he goes mangina when it comes to gender issues.
#120CynicalZealotPosted 8/18/2014 12:01:42 PMmessage detail
SoBe posted...
The real problem with FFVIII and FFXIII are people looking at minor flaws and over-blowing them so far out of proportion they become blinded to anything remotely positive about the game.

The problem for me is that when I deliberately try and ignore all the minor flaws, the only thing I can see are the major flaws. I'm honestly hard-pressed to think of a single thing that FFVIII did right.

Technically, I suppose I could give it credit for looking really, really nice at the time... but even that is a positive that loses value over time as the graphics become more and more dated (especially since it was really the first FF game to shift to a style that suffers the most from graphics creep - ironically enough, the more simplistic and cartoonish FFIV and FFVI styles age far better).

Other than that... hmm. Draw was an interesting premise for a mechanic, but implemented in a horribly broken way. The monster leveling system was interesting as a means of obsoleting the old RPG "grind" issue, but was catastrophically flawed because it effectively encourages you to never fight a single battle unless you're forced to - because it can make later boss fights essentially unwinnable unless you perfectly optimize your build or exploit other game mechanic quirks (like Aura/Limit Break spamming). The setting has potential to be interesting... but never really accomplishes anything of value because nearly every character in it is utterly terrible.

No matter what facet of the game I look at - gameplay or narrative - the best I can say for it is that there are some interesting ideas there that might have actually been worthwhile if a better design team had worked on them. As is, almost everything is actively bad.

SoBe posted...
The linearity of FFXIII and the junction system of FFVIII does not make them bad games. There's just a large vocal group of detractors who are too close-minded and stubborn to see that.

Ironically enough, linearity has never really been a complaint for me, considering I was raised on oldschool RPGs (which were all pretty much on a single rail from start to finish) and my favorite genre was always Adventure games (which half the time were closer to linear narrative than interactive game). If anything, my background makes me distrust open-world games (it's part of what I dislike about Elder Scrolls and the newer Fallout games - trying to force a linear narrative into an open world, creating "ludonarrative dissonance" (to lift an utterly pretentious term from the sort of a****** reviewers who usually misuse it anyway)) for offering the player a buffet of options but then forgetting to find ways to make the player actually CARE about any of them.

So I'd never criticize FFVIII for linearity. Especially when you consider my praise for FFIV and FFVI, which are just as linear in their own ways. Hell, I've never even really criticized FFX for linearity plus more or less doing away with a world map and making the entire game one long ribbon path to the end (or at least to the airship near the end).

That being said, FFVIII is still terrible.

---
"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--- Vyvyan, The Young Ones