Geek Eternal

#181Entity13(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2014 12:55:47 AMmessage detail
Spare Parts is possibly my favorite of Fifth Doctor's audio plays.
---
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg
#182SoBePosted 8/29/2014 1:44:15 PMmessage detail
Anyways, while I'm posting here, I might as well post something not drama-related: now I can get Tales of Hearts R since I now own a Vita! Here's hoping it's better than Graces, though I imagine that wont be hard to pull off. I hear it focuses more on aerial combat, which is a plus, though not being dubbed in English is a minus. Stinking Bamco leaving it up to fans if they prefer subs or dubs. Of course all the *derogatory terms for Japanophiles* prefer Japanese dubs <_<

For the most part I'm not a sub snob but it depends on the circumstances for me. If there is a particular Japanese VA I like or the style fits better I prefer the sub. Also if the dub is awful(I'm looking at you Pioneer dub of Akira) then I would much rather watch the sub. For anything else, and especially in games, I don't mind dubs at all.
---
#183SoBePosted 8/30/2014 7:21:08 PMmessage detail
Forgot about Dr. Who so I missed seeing the repeat of last week's episode. I did see the new one though and I'm liking the new Doctor. I get the feeling that Journey will either end up as a companion or just on the TARDIS at some point.

Also on the special that aired just before the episode they had a woman on that makes digital art of Doctor Who. Really interesting stuff.

http://portfolio.alicexz.com/projects/4505623
---
#184Raganork10Posted 8/30/2014 8:53:21 PMmessage detail
I have a question for y'all: how do you feel about having to ignore certain gameplay features to make a game more challenging/fair/balanced? Such as ignoring the gambit system in FF12 so you can actually play the game and not watch AI play for you.

Basically, do you care about difficulty balance in games?
#185Lightning BoltPosted 8/30/2014 9:01:27 PMmessage detail
That bothers me to no end.
I love a challenge in games, but it's simply in my nature to maximize efficiency. So the best games are the ones where I need to maximize in order to succeed. Having to play poorly (even ignoring entire features) in order to make the challenge appropriate feels awful.
---
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
#186Raganork10Posted 8/30/2014 9:20:48 PMmessage detail
Right? I enjoy a good challenge in games. I hate having to ignore items or features in a game because the developer didn't focus on balancing things well. Except Orlandu in FFT. He's broken as all hell, but dammit, he's just too much fun to not use.
#187shadowsword87Posted 8/30/2014 9:26:04 PMmessage detail
It really depends.

So when I play a game for a challenge, I want to use and abuse every single system testing my mental and physical abilities, that I can come across to just barely win. Then the next time I play I improve. It's one of the major reasons I play more competitive games (Starcraft 2, LoL, Teleglitch, Brogue, and so on).
Giving a saftey valve is basically something for me to spam and just auto-win everything that I come across. A limited use saftey valve though I like it makes things that are too hard easy to deal with without changing the overall balance of the game.

When I'm just playing just casually though I enjoy it. A lot of the time when I'm playing a story-based game (like Bioshock: Infinite, Transistor, Spec Ops: The Line (less so Spec Ops), The Witcher, and so on) I can get a bit annoyed of the gameplay. When I'm getting really into a story, and suddenly I have the "oh no, a ball of enemies are attacking let me slog through this" because I want to get to the next cutscene. It's just so jarring and annoying to have to fight and refight something because I'm stugglebussing, having an auto-win button to get to the next cutscene and have more delicious plot is incredibly good to have.
---
My friends and I will stream here, feel free to come by and watch: http://www.twitch.tv/tryhardfriends
The best Stacraft 2 player on PotD
#188LokarinPosted 8/30/2014 9:35:35 PMmessage detail(edited)
I didn't know Brogue was competitive... I don't consider TOME competitive (OH WAIT YES I DO!!!).

Ya, I like optional difficulty punches... consider Bastions Idol (or were they Sigils, Totems, I forgot) system. The game is pretty dern easy, certainly because you can't afford to break up the flow to maintain the narration, but a 10 Idotemigils run is insane and good... for me.

+In response to FF12's Gambit system, I had the opposite experience. I'm a fan of creative AI, so my goal was to construct the longest lasting Gambit system possible - something that can handle all the bonus content and hard bosses without ANY input from me - this often included auto-casting Berserk on Vaan since you can't automate your own movement that I am aware of.
---
This message has been brought to you by salt.
"Salt cures Everything!"
#189LokarinPosted 8/30/2014 9:40:51 PMmessage detail
On the other hand, I agree with Bioshock: Infinite. Even though I'm not a story player, I found the combat sections to be too frequent and haphazardly plugged between story segments... they lacked unity after a point.
---
This message has been brought to you by salt.
"Salt cures Everything!"
#190SoBePosted 8/30/2014 9:47:15 PMmessage detail
That bothers me to no end.
I love a challenge in games, but it's simply in my nature to maximize efficiency. So the best games are the ones where I need to maximize in order to succeed. Having to play poorly (even ignoring entire features) in order to make the challenge appropriate feels awful.

I don't agree with this at all. Being forced to min/max to win a game is a terrible thing and a shining example of bad game design. And ignoring features in a game to make self-enforced challenges is not a bad thing if it changes the way you play the game and makes it more fun. The sphere grid in FFX is a good example. I actually prefer playing without it because it makes things more interesting. Same goes for speed running. When you play a game purely for speed there's a lot of strategies that you wouldn't use in a normal game, and being able to discover as well as execute those strategies is very satisfying.
---