Geek Eternal

#191Entity13(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2014 11:02:06 AMmessage detail
That was actually a more-than-decent episode of Doctor Who. Most of the characters were kinda meh, but the story itself--a dalek story, no less--was borderline good. No deus ex ending, the "Love conquers all" trope was subverted and possibly inverted. And yet, something was missing from this episode. A certain level of passion, I think.
---
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg
#192JediMutantPosted 8/31/2014 7:25:21 PMmessage detail
Hey, geek topic.

Anyone around right now to spitball ideas for my D&D setting?
---
Official Naturalist of Board 3
Chelsey 2766-7859-0829 Pachirisu, Pikachu. Luxio
#193LokarinPosted 8/31/2014 7:35:26 PMmessage detail
Turn of the Century London, with contemporary artifacts from our time
---
This message has been brought to you by salt.
"Salt cures Everything!"
#194JediMutantPosted 8/31/2014 7:46:26 PMmessage detail(edited)
Lokarin posted...
Turn of the Century London, with contemporary artifacts from our time

Oh, see, I'm thinking something more along the lines of a post-bubonic plague setting. The Human Empire got pretty well wiped out and taken over by elves, due to the economic decline that resulted from losing 40-60 % of their population in a 100-year period.

In the present, half-elves are far more common than full-blooded humans... Elves were resistant to the plague, so while they DID help to save humanity from the disease, they're also breeding them out. In the last 60 years or so, half-elves have become more common than full-blooded humans. The human empire (unnamed right now- working on it) is in a cultural decline, having lost a lot of influence. The current empress isn't even a human really; she's a half-elf; her prime consort is an elf as well.

The dwarven city-kingdoms were only strengthened by The Plague; they have become the main moneylenders and bankers to The Empire.
---
#195shadowsword87Posted 8/31/2014 7:47:39 PMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#196shadowsword87Posted 8/31/2014 7:54:07 PMmessage detail
So, what do people do for fun there?
Is it all dark and gritty all the time? So strictly just prostitution and hard drugs?
---
My friends and I will stream here, feel free to come by and watch: http://www.twitch.tv/tryhardfriends
The best Stacraft 2 player on PotD
#197JediMutantPosted 8/31/2014 7:57:14 PMmessage detail(edited)
I'm thinking that most of the nobility are elves, with a splash of human at this point.

I had the idea that after a few serious waves of The Pestilence, you'd have a lot of noble bloodlines that survived only because they had some 3rd or 4th son married into a noble elf family, and that's why they didn't get wiped out.

Elven nobility meanwhile, used this as an opportunity to basically assimilate the most powerful nation on the continent. Hence the empress being a half-elf, and her prime consort being a full-blood elf.

shadowsword87 posted...
So, what do people do for fun there?
Is it all dark and gritty all the time? So strictly just prostitution and hard drugs?

I am... Confused.
---
#198shadowsword87Posted 8/31/2014 8:08:03 PMmessage detail
JediMutant posted...
I am... Confused.

You're thinking of this completely in the wrong direction.
Like, look at the whole thing from a player perspective, what does it matter if the elfs are the ruling class, or the humans, or the dwarfs, or some weird bug thing that everyone is claiming is their king? It's basically irrelevant to them.
Like let's say it is completely dark and gritty all the time, and suddenly the hard drug market took a massive crash because of reasons. Now you have a conflict that players can get in on, there are power plays, backstabs, and all of this drama going on. You can then say that one group is all elfs who are super racists against humans because they think that they started the disease, or dwarfs who feel like it's their time to shine, or whatever.

History is nice and all, but it's second to having things happen now. It's a backup to the plot.
---
My friends and I will stream here, feel free to come by and watch: http://www.twitch.tv/tryhardfriends
The best Stacraft 2 player on PotD
#199JediMutantPosted 8/31/2014 8:13:11 PMmessage detail
shadowsword87 posted...
What Shadowsword said about history affecting my players.

Oh, I see.

Well, for one, because of the history of pestilence, many cities do forced quarantines on travelers entering. Full-blooded humans are odd, and treated derisively, because they might be carrying the disease and/or they're second-class citizens.

The thing you said about the dwarves feeling like it's their time to shine is 100% correct; that's one of the major points of my setting.
---
#200ParanoidObsessivePosted 9/1/2014 2:49:04 AMmessage detail
Entity13 posted...
That was actually a more-than-decent episode of Doctor Who. Most of the characters were kinda meh, but the story itself--a dalek story, no less--was borderline good. No deus ex ending, the "Love conquers all" trope was subverted and possibly inverted. And yet, something was missing from this episode. A certain level of passion, I think.

All I kept thinking was that SOMEONE had just finished watching The Invisible Enemy from the old series, and thought it was brilliant and wanted to do an updated version.

Either that, or someone did NOT watch The Invisible Enemy, ever, and thought the idea of shrinking down to cure a patient was really clever and didn't realize they were beaten to the punch by about 40 years (more if you count back to Fantastic Voyage).

Personally, I didn't mind the episode, though his "WAH NO SOLDIERS" deal felt really kind of forced, considering he's had soldiers on the TARDIS before and was pretty good friends with some of them. Can't even really say "Well, the Time War changed him," because Captain Jack showed up after that, at his lowest, most self-loathing period, and he was still relatively fine with him.

And yes, it's a new Doctor with a new regeneration and new personality, but that's never really changed who he likes or who he's willing to travel with before. a young woman had just been shown a radically paradigm-altering new view of reality, and that straight-up violence isn't always the best answer, and she wanted to go with him - nearly every other version of the Doctor would have taken her just for the opportunity to make sure she really takes that lesson to heart.

In a way, she basically learned the lesson he was TRYING to teach the Dalek, but he still brushed her off.

---
"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family