Geek Eternal

#51CatnipFeverPosted 7/31/2014 11:49:55 PMmessage detail
Well then, read it already, Jade. lol

The next book I've decided to read is A Storm of Swords. Finally. I know the ASoIaF books take a long time for me to read, too.
---
Once you know, you can never go back.
#52sin1sterPosted 8/1/2014 12:07:09 AMmessage detail
hi
---
https://i.imgur.com/1BnSmyk.gif
#53CynicalZealotPosted 8/1/2014 8:41:58 AMmessage detail
Entity13 posted...
Croyd is, perhaps, worthy of being put on a Top Whatever list of best literary characters.

It's entirely Zelazny's doing. He was probably one of the most brilliant fantasy/sci-fi writers of his era. Shame he died so soon - it would have been awesome to see what sort of books he might have written later in life.

Then again, maybe it was a mercy - far too many creative types turn to dreck later, as creative energies wither and financial realities and social commitments make writing quality work harder and harder.

Then again, one of the best novels he ever wrote was literally the last full novel he ever wrote, so...

Entity13 posted...
Another candidate for this list would be Wit from the Stormlight Archives, who I think PO would love if he'd read the two books out so far.

Yeah, but it's Brandon Sanderson.

I know I give him credit for writing better Wheel of Time novels than Robert Jordan ever did (albeit with help from Jordan's notes/outline/wife/obsessively haunting ghost), but he's one of the more notorious writers to trigger my "I'm going to need a 17 page glossary of terms section if I ever hope to understand anything in this book at all" pet peeve, and his obsession with plotting out all of the complex mechanics of magic/how the universe works in an attempt to make it "realistic" (or to satisfy his own OCD) numbs my very soul to the core.

It's basically like every argument I have with Shadow about fluff versus crunch in RPGs, except in this case the GM is even more on the side of mechanics than Shadow is, and he's writing a novel.

It's probably worth noting that even actual RPG-based novels tend to elaborate less on the mechanics than Sanderson seems to want to.

I'm going to be honest, though. I think my main problem with a lot of modern fantasy writers is the same problem I have with a lot of modern comic book writers - they're people who grew up reading the thing they're trying to write. Which sounds like a good thing... until you realize that most of them grew up reading nothing BUT the thing they're trying to write.

Some of the best fantasy was written by people who really didn't consider themselves fantasy writers, who, given the choice, were probably happier reading pure literature or even non-fiction rather than other genre stories. It gave them a broader base to work from, and tended to strengthen their understanding of theme and mood. Meanwhile, fantasy fans writing fantasy novels gives us things like Eragon, which borders on pastiche (and also drifts dangerous close to outright plagiarism).

It probably doesn't help that we've become a "pop culture" culture, as it were, so plenty of modern writers are less being influenced by the old master of literature and mythological tales and sagas, and more by popular movies and video games. Which tends to lead to shallower development all 'round.

I kind of hate sounding like a lit snob, and I know saying things like this always makes people sound like lit snobs, but I absolutely and firmly believe it's true that would-be writers should absolutely read as much as possible, across widely diverse fields, to try and expand their knowledge base as much as possible. Try to be a modern Renaissance Man of sorts, with tons of knowledge and influences at your disposal, and you'll be a far better writer for it. And I feel like most modern writers (especially the ones being published in mass market paperback formats) don't even remotely do that.

---
"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--- Vyvyan, The Young Ones
#54CynicalZealotPosted 8/1/2014 8:42:10 AMmessage detail
And I also freely acknowledge that my stubbornness on this score means I have a very, very hard time finding new, good authors whose work I like. It's very rare these days that I manage to stumble on someone's work and find myself appreciating it enough to seek out more.

---
"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--- Vyvyan, The Young Ones
#55Entity13(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2014 1:18:23 AMmessage detail
Less than a month to go until I'm in my 30s. Um, yay?
---
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg
#56SoBePosted 8/2/2014 2:53:19 PMmessage detail

Does this mean we start calling you "old woman" or "grandma"?
---
#57shadowsword87Posted 8/2/2014 11:56:02 PMmessage detail
So, I remember someone here saying that they read/watch Shut Up & Sit Down as well, and I was wondering if they think Paul's RPG-making thing is going to be as much of a trainwreck as me.

It feels like he doesn't know about some of the other sort of RPGs than just DnD and DnD-Derivatives and is making Yet Another DnD Derivative Game.
It feels like he's retreading what's already made, I swear everything he's posted is just Savage Worlds.
---
My friends and I will stream here, feel free to come by and watch: http://www.twitch.tv/tryhardfriends
The best Stacraft 2 player on PotD
#58KorruptorPosted 8/3/2014 4:38:25 AMmessage detail
Entity13 posted...

8 months to go here... You won't be alone in the retirement home that long...
#59BlightzkriegPosted 8/3/2014 5:28:00 AMmessage detail
shadowsword87 posted...
So, I remember someone here saying that they read/watch Shut Up & Sit Down as well, and I was wondering if they think Paul's RPG-making thing is going to be as much of a trainwreck as me.

It feels like he doesn't know about some of the other sort of RPGs than just DnD and DnD-Derivatives and is making Yet Another DnD Derivative Game.
It feels like he's retreading what's already made, I swear everything he's posted is just Savage Worlds.

I watch it but I haven't been following whatever that is. I normally just stick to the video reviews.

I didn't really know any of them were familiar with RPGs, though I know they're playing the new Star Wars one.
---
http://i.imgur.com/hnVLkbl.png
#60shadowsword87Posted 8/3/2014 5:57:50 AMmessage detail
Blightzkrieg posted...
I didn't really know any of them were familiar with RPGs, though I know they're playing the new Star Wars one.

Yeah, that podcast is... weird. It's removing all of the "play" portion of the Actual Play, like they're editing out all of the gameplay and it's condensed and weird.

Apparently they know a handful of RPGs that aren't just DnD though, which is always good.
---
My friends and I will stream here, feel free to come by and watch: http://www.twitch.tv/tryhardfriends
The best Stacraft 2 player on PotD