GameTok with Lok: Talk amongst yourselves while I stare at my backlog

#11danger_brandonPosted 8/6/2014 1:19:26 PMmessage detail
My backlog is so large now, about 50-60 titles (not all purchased yet, but I know what I want to play), a lot of them are collections, but still. I've been moving at a pretty decent pace by playing one title at a time and focusing on that. For my PS3 titles, I want to platinum as many as I can (because I'm into it; don't hate), but if some of them are ridiculous difficult (like GT5's Gold Standard), I'm passing on the plat. I've made a list and doing well to abide by it, so now it's just a matter of time. But the good news is, the newer games I want will be super cheap when I get around to them.
---
PSN: DangerBrandon
Last Platinumed: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception; Currently Playing: Assassin's Creed III; In Queue: Mass Effect
#12Lokarin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 1:22:19 PMmessage detail
AVGNA has such good music... and I just realized the title is a pun
---
This message has been brought to you by salt.
"Salt cures Everything!"
#13Lokarin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 2:31:38 PMmessage detail
Ok, that's enough of that.

There's some minor level design issues (if you ignore the intentional ones that are AVGN gags), I'm not even referring to the arbitrary hardness... but that it can be a little TOO arbitrary, such as death blocks in corridors that serve no other purpose than to decrease the game speed. Such tricks were used in other games to temporarily delay a play to either load assets or to preview a strong enemy ahead (such as the bone pillars in Castlevania)

But the music is still good... so you definitely should touch AVGNA with your... umm, whatevers.

Next up:

Anodyne

The Promise: Classic NES hard 8bit Zelda clone. Gee, I wonder where I heard this before
---
"Salt cures Everything!"
#14Lokarin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 3:54:30 PMmessage detail
Anodyne suffers from fake framerate issues. It's not that the game is lagging, it's just that it's designed around a slower room speed, which is a little nauseous.

The music is... weirdgood, inspired by things like Dragon View, Secret of Mana and Earthbound (some Doom even), mostly dissonant and weird. The story also unfolds in an unusual way, and you don't realize what's going on until the first and second major turning points (it's designed around a Retro-active shocker, similar to Bioshock)

I'll play it for a bit more and then move on
---
"Salt cures Everything!"
#15Lokarin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 3:59:38 PMmessage detail
Here's an example:

The initial suspicion is that your character has OCD, given by the various nods throughout the game... such as this particularly annoying one:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll25/Lokarin/Untitled_zpsa1501e93.png

You can't get that. It's open on all sides visually, but the map denies it... what does it say? And then the discordant music kicks in and I get angry.
---
"Salt cures Everything!"
#16Lokarin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 5:25:09 PMmessage detail
I'm mostly at the end, and I don't know where to go... so I consulted the FAQ

WARNING: DON'T CONSULT THE FAQ

I found out that Glitching, particularly classic Zelda glitches, gets you access to off the map areas which are REQUIRED to 100% the game
---
"Salt cures Everything!"
#17Lokarin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 7:11:15 PMmessage detail
Ok, done. I got all the cards... all 49 of them, but didn't go for the other extras.

If you guys hated Fez for cryptic slosh, then avoid Anodyne's completionist...

Next on the list

Apogee Throwback Pack

Y'know, when they bundle a game with DosBox, I really wish they'd use proper settings.
---
"Salt cures Everything!"
#18Lokarin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 7:18:48 PMmessage detail
Blake Stone comes with, like, early 90's ordering information... like, actual phone and fax lines
---
"Salt cures Everything!"
#19DynaloPosted 8/6/2014 7:20:40 PMmessage detail
I've been playing Lord of the Rings: War in the North recently. It's surprisingly decent.

Voice acting in it is just god awful though.
---
Assassins do it from behind.
#20Lokarin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 7:27:14 PMmessage detail
Ok, there's legit a switch... that kills you, on the first floor of Blake Stone.

And they want $59.95 (plus $5 shipping and handling) for this?

Anyways, I'm already very familiar with Rise of the Triad. Also, I don't think the iconic Shareware levels are anywhere in the actual game.

Same deal as Corridor 7, the Demo level is excellent, but not in the game - oddly, 4 weapons and enemy types are completely missing from Corridor 7 since the CD version that came out was just the Floppy version installer.

Anywho.

Atom Zombie Smasher.... I haven't actually "beaten" it yet, but it just kinda goes on for a long time. It's certainly easy for the zombies to get out of control though.

Next up if Avadon 1 and 2 (2 is first for some reason), and immediately after that is Avernum. While I "should" do these, I'm going to save all the Spiderweb games for one long powwow... they're individually highly replayable (via script threads) and extremely long and Geneforge is even a 6 parter... so no.

Nect
Bad Bots

Premise: IDKwhat
---
"Salt cures Everything!"