GameTok with Lok: Talk amongst yourselves while I stare at my backlog

#21Lokarin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 7:46:03 PMmessage detail
Objective 1 is get to the Emergency Evacuation Bay. despite being virtually invincible, this task is impossible... I can't find it.

The controls are quite weird compared to other Madness clones (Or Shadowgrounds clones if you wanna be more modern), so it feels very clunky throughout. You can even do the Cheetahmen midair melee double jump whenever you want.

I'll give it a Cheetahmen out of 10.

Basement Collection

I'm pretty sure I did about half of the games, may as well hit the rest.
---
This message has been brought to you by salt.
"Salt cures Everything!"
#22Lokarin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 8:19:49 PMmessage detail
Ya, looks like I got most of it. Could hit the achievements, but nah.

Bastion is clear, there are achievements - I haven't done much with the Shrine Idols at all.

BattleBlock Theater

Completely unplayed and unseen, but it's probably good
---
"Salt cures Everything!"
#23Lokarin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 9:14:32 PMmessage detail
I can see myself playing that again... Some of the screen transitions can feel a little too long, but loading times I guess.

Next up, Blood of the Werewolf

A huge achievement sink, but really not terrible - except that it's terrible. Hopefully the rest of the game doesn't pull the kinda crap the pre-boss stage had
---
"Salt cures Everything!"
#24Lokarin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 9:28:18 PMmessage detail
Ok, it's really bad... it's the ultimate in troll level design. I'm in the second word set and there's this part where you have to jump across rising/lowering plungers... but everything knocks you back! And since you have zero invincibility frames, getting hit once is very likely to put you all the way back to the start. You can brute force through the first one, but the third one requires you stand on the second one for the added height... but, you can knocked on both fronts.

GRUMP!

Next I'll hit Borderlands DLC, I guess, as cleanup. Braid, Breath of Death 7, Castle Crashers, Catan...

I haven't actually beaten the PC version of Castle Crashers, and Catan actually has achievements.

So, till tomorrow.
---
"Salt cures Everything!"
#25Lokarin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2014 8:28:56 PMmessage detail
Don't know if it's for everyone or just people in the beta, but Steam changed a fair bit of their graphical assets in the last patch... the little blue circle Steam doesn't have the same impact as the black square.
---
"Salt cures Everything!"
#26dormcastePosted 8/7/2014 8:39:09 PMmessage detail
I could never get into Genesis RPGs. I loved Golden Sun so my beef isn't with the devs of Shining Force or anything, but they were just boring. Phantasy Star is just too archaic. I can't play an RPG that dated unless it's like Zork or something similar.
#27Lokarin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2014 9:01:43 PMmessage detail
Idk:

Mini Poll:

Genesis RPGs Vs. Spiderweb RPGs
---
"Salt cures Everything!"
#28Lokarin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2014 10:45:26 AMmessage detail
I still want to learn more about game design (because schools dun exist)

I've been studying the Zelda-likes for their take on floor layouts.
The original Zelda uses a fixed 12x7 dungeon layout (with edging to fill the 16 wide and edging plus the gui to fill the full 14 vertical). Outside of dungeons, the most barren screens almost always have a double edge (makes me wonder if there was a technical limitation on collision detection and northern edges had to be at least 2 tiles thick) and cap out at about 16x7 with a little bit more wiggle room at room transitions, bringing it up to about 16x8ish. But for the most part you can assume the rooms were designed with 12x7 in mind.

On the more liberal end of things, Ittle Dew was designed around the puzzles and the castle. Outside of where door transitions require "flushing", there's almost no wasted space for the puzzle of any given room (Puzzle and combat rooms mostly alternate, so the puzzles were designed as nodes and combat rooms designed to correctly size the castle). However, the screen soft scrolls so floor size is arbitrary. This is similar to Link to the Past, but I haven't analyzed that yet.

On the more strict end, Anodyne was designed around esoteric perfection (and is part of the plot). There is no scrolling or variation and all screens are 10x10.

In all three cases, their design choices reflected want they needed to achieve out of the game: Defeating the system limitations, providing a fluid world set, and defeating personal (characterwise) limitations respectively.

...IDK
---
"Salt cures Everything!"
#29Lokarin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2014 2:12:07 PMmessage detail
PC port of Catan sucks... Unless you absolutely must play with an AI opponents.

Cave Story+ had bonus content, no? I'll count that as DLC and append it to the list after Borderlands 2.

Chivalry... used to be fun, but since they added custom colours I can barely play it due to colour blindness. (Excluding matches against Bots who use default colours, or servers with default colours, or Free for all where it doesn't matter)

ClaDun x2... This is a game I "wanted" to like, due to its heavy customization (or whatever), but I never could maintain focus at all. I have something like 3 different versions of ClaDun and all of them are stopped shortly after party links are added.

Commander Keen Complete Pack: I grew up on Secret of the Oracle, but I feel these are quite dated.

CounterStrike: Still good, but, like, I don't care for the 5v5 format of GO, pretty much the only reason I have GO and Source both installed.

Therefor:

Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal

The Promise: IDK, someone said I'd like it
---
"Salt cures Everything!"
#30SoBePosted 8/8/2014 2:49:40 PMmessage detail
I never actually finished FF12, I'm at my third Rafflesia clear.

That's about the point where I stop. The next two dungeons you go through are overly long and really mess up the pacing of the game. I only finished the whole story once, but I've played through it to various points four or five times.

Mini Poll:

Genesis RPGs Vs. Spiderweb RPGs

Spiderweb for sure. There aren't a lot of great RPGs on Genesis other than Phantasy Star.

Chivalry... used to be fun, but since they added custom colours I can barely play it due to colour blindness. (Excluding matches against Bots who use default colours, or servers with default colours, or Free for all where it doesn't matter)

Smite has a colorblind mode built into it for people who have problems distinguishing between colors. You should give that a shot.
---