Catching water-type pokemon

#1loadnpants69Posted 12/30/2008 5:42:23 PM
I'm about to enter that one tower that "dead pokemon go to" and still don't have any water-type pokemon outside of gyarados (spelling?) that evolved from the fish I bought towards the beginning of the game. How do I catch water type pokemon? This is my first time playing through this game. I searched the board and found nothing. I skimmed through some of the faq and they haven't said how either. I know I'm missing something that is probably simple and is right in front of me. Thanks in advance.
#2silentevil888Posted 12/30/2008 6:55:22 PM
Joke topic? Maybe not, but you need a fishing rode to catch water Pokemon, look for a guy in a straw hat, and he'll ask a question, just say "Yes."
---
---
It was this or Residenthill.
#3Blaziken_rjcfPosted 12/30/2008 7:20:11 PM

I'm about to enter that one tower that "dead pokemon go to" and still don't have any water-type pokemon outside of gyarados (spelling?) that evolved from the fish I bought towards the beginning of the game. How do I catch water type pokemon? This is my first time playing through this game. I searched the board and found nothing. I skimmed through some of the faq and they haven't said how either. I know I'm missing something that is probably simple and is right in front of me. Thanks in advance.

HAHAHAHAHAHA
you BOUGHT the most worthless pokemon OF ALL???
---
I am Immortal All Powerful Blaziken. All will bow down before me
#4chopperbyrnePosted 12/30/2008 8:17:33 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA
you BOUGHT the most worthless pokemon OF ALL???

Magikarp is probably better than a caught Kakuna or Metapod.

Plus, in game, Gyarados is a very good pokemon to have that early.
#5gbchaosmasterPosted 12/30/2008 8:24:39 PM
Oh noes! $500! We totally don't end up with about 200 times more in the end!
Oh noes! Magicrap! We totally can't put it in a daycare for the easy training towards a powerhouse!
Oh noes! Getting it earlier! We totally can delay the suffering and fish it later when it's much harder to train!
---
gbchaosmaster
<3 glitchy
#6mriswith70Posted 12/30/2008 10:33:45 PM
Gotta agree with gbchaosmaster on this one. I bought the Magikarp on my last playthrough, and it wasn't nearly so bad as I had expected. And once you get it to level 15, it can at least hold its own in random battles, and level 20 comes quickly after that. Use the Water Gun TM from Mt Moon, and Gyarados is a decent water type and strong attacker until you get Surf. Then the gloves are off...
---
REJOICE. For very bad things are about to happen. ~Richard, Looking For Group
#7mriswith70Posted 12/30/2008 10:35:41 PM
^Or Bubblebeam, I forgot about that move.
---
REJOICE. For very bad things are about to happen. ~Richard, Looking For Group
#8Blaziken_rjcfPosted 12/31/2008 5:26:47 AM
if this was in FR/LG and you had a pokemon with razor leaf and only used magikarp in double battle (razor leaf IIRC hits every pokemon except your own) then i'd say it was a good idea to buy it this early. however IMO it is useless to train a magikarp (when you buy it, is it at level 5 or 10?) like 5 or 10 levels until it actually learns a good move
---
I am Immortal All Powerful Blaziken. All will bow down before me
#9Blaziken_rjcfPosted 12/31/2008 5:28:34 AM
btw, i dont remember if FR/LG have double battles that early but if it does this IS a good idea but only if you have a pokemon with a move which hits every other pokemon except your own. otherwise this is a very bad idea IMO because of the time wasted in training it
---
Arceus is a follower of Blaziken. People who agree: 6
If God exists let him kill me. Sig started 12/10/08
#10creamyicecreamPosted 12/31/2008 8:59:56 AM
you know, for your claiming to have played the game for several years, you lack a lot of common knowledge.
---
It is, as some admiral once said, a trap.
http://www.freewebs.com/ladystarscream/