Should they remake the Red/Blue

#1RobotPetePosted 9/7/2010 1:48:57 AM
I don't really like the newer versions of pokemon. I saw "fire red" but i am not sure what that contains and it seems I would have to get both it and "something green".

I mean on the DS they could probably fit all 150 pokemon onto a single cartridge. And they could go through and make the stats more balanced, and make an actual Dragon move. And a bigger story with perhaps tougher gyms.

Is this a good or bad idea?

---
What mean vanquish? Mean eat?
#2GunbladeladPosted 9/7/2010 5:02:33 AM
They did remake the games for the GBA.

The original Pokemon games were Red & Green, launched in Japan. Blue was a later release, with different graphics & several bugifixes. Yellow then got released to cash in on the popularity of the Anime.

So far, the remakes have only covered the first 2 games in each generation of game.

For Red, Green, Blue & Yellow, the remake games were Fire Red & Leaf Green. As the remakes were GBA generation games, they have all the additions from then, and the Pokemon can also be transferred to the DS generation.

As they're still pretty recent, I'm sure you'll know that Pokemon Heart Gold & Soul Silver are the remakes of Gold & Silver, although they do have several of Crystal's story additions.
---
Where logic won't work - I will
If you don't have 8 minute lag - you're not doing it right!!!
#3gbchaosmasterPosted 9/7/2010 5:02:42 AM
Prepare to get shocked.

I saw "fire red" but i am not sure what that contains

Most of what you're asking for.

and it seems I would have to get both it and "something green".

Leaf Green is the counterpart to Fire Red. It's no different than Red/Blue. In fact, the japanese counterpart to Red is Green.

I mean on the DS they could probably fit all 150 pokemon onto a single cartridge.

Except they never will.

And they could go through and make the stats more balanced,

They did that in GSC.

and make an actual Dragon move.

Same, and it keeps getting improved.

And a bigger story

Check.

with perhaps tougher gyms.

Sadly FR/LG has none of that unlike RSE, but it does have a stronger Elite 4. (actually RSE is the other way around... Why, Game Freak?)

Is this a good or bad idea?

Judging by Game Freak's much earlier success with it...
---
gbchaosmaster
#4doshindudePosted 9/7/2010 6:09:35 PM
If you've never played FireRed/LeafGreen, then stop talking, because you've obviously never seen them or given them a chance, because they pretty much fulfill your requirements that you want.
---
:(_____________________________________________________________)
Nom
#5RobotPete(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2010 5:27:07 PM
Sorry, i don't mean to insult the newer pokemon games. I just prefer the original games and wanted something like it for the DS.
If Fire Red is a huge improvement I will check it out, but if it is the exact same game as Red, than that's not quite what i want.

What would you recommend for that?

---
What mean vanquish? Mean eat?
#6GunbladeladPosted 9/9/2010 5:14:08 AM
If you've played any of the GBA or DS games, then you'll have a good idea on what to expect with Fire Red or Leaf Green.

They're basically Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, but with the plotline & map from Pokemon Red & Blue.

Addition-wise, there's a new area, called "the Sevii Islands" - basically 7 new small areas, which have their own little side-story, and allow the catching of several Gold/Silver Pokemon. They also have the Battle Tower from Crystal, Ruby & Sapphire.

Unfortunately, if you wish to have a 100% complete national Pokedex, then you'll need access to a copy of the opposite game from the one you buy, Ruby, Sapphire, Pokemon Colloseum & Pokemon XD (the last 2 being Gamecube games). Even then, you'll be missing Mew, Celebi & Jirachi. Jirachi is available via Pokemon channel in the PAL regions, and from the Pokemon Colloseum bonus disc in NTSC areas, IIRC.
---
Where logic won't work - I will
If you don't have 8 minute lag - you're not doing it right!!!
#7RobotPete(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2010 9:09:57 AM
Thanks for the information.
It seems I will just have to give one of the newer games a chance, I'm sure I'll love it once I get into it.
#8RobotPete(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2010 9:10:23 PM
sorry to keep this going.

I got some questions about Fire Red before I spend money on it.

Is it just a visual remake or are there plot changes? or different encounters with different opponents?

Are the move sets and stats identical to RBY?

And in case I can't find any copies... what's the top recommendation for trying out a new pokemon game?
#9gjdsjPosted 9/13/2010 11:22:42 PM
Is it just a visual remake or are there plot changes? or different encounters with different opponents?

The original plot is there, but some new stuff is added.

Are the move sets and stats identical to RBY?

No. Move sets and stats are both different. A lot of new moves are added, and the Special stat is split into Special Attack and Special Defense. In addition, instead of stat experience, you have EV's (effort values) which allow your pokemon to specialize in certain stats. Also, pokemon now have "abilities", which have various effects. For example, Pikachu has the Static ability, which has a chance of causing a pokemon to be paralyzed if it physically attacks Pikachu.

And in case I can't find any copies... what's the top recommendation for trying out a new pokemon game?

I would recommend Heart Gold or Soul Silver. They're the most recently released and they're the best ones yet in my opinion... Plus, their storyline continues Red/Blue's.