Which is the Best Starter Pokemon?

#1JonBonZukiPosted 10/4/2011 10:50:39 PM
Even considering marginal advantages in stats and skills, which is the best--Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle?
---
No man has an enemy greater than himself.
#2pokedude7Posted 10/5/2011 12:41:49 PM
Bulbasaur- Best for beginners, Super-effective against the first 2 gyms, weak against Blaine and Sabrina, neutral to all other gyms, Highest HP and SPC of the 3

Squirtle- Medium difficulty, can learn moves to deal with any Pokemon (Surf, Body Slam, Ice Beam, Earthquake), Bulky Water, Highest Def of the 3

Charmander- High difficulty, Has highest Crit rate and Speed of the 3.

Each of the 3 starters can be replaced with better Pokemon:

Bulbasaur- Can be replace by Exeggutor

Blastoise-Can be replace by : Cloyster, Gyarados, Starmie, Lapras, Vaporeon

Charmander- Can be replaced by: Arcanine, Flareon

So use which ever one you want.
#3Blackest_KnightPosted 10/5/2011 1:12:24 PM
I don't think Charizard can be replaced by Flareon. Charizard's one of the better Fire-types of the first generation.
---
It's rare and unexpected, but strangely beautiful, like a unicorn using his horn to gore a priest.
-tibyon
#4CandidulusPosted 10/5/2011 1:44:38 PM
In terms of total stats, I believe Charizard has a 5-10 lead on Blastoise and Venausaur
#5gbchaosmasterPosted 10/5/2011 2:51:47 PM
Bulbasaur- Best for beginners
Squirtle- Medium difficulty
Charmander- High difficulty

I really don't get why people still write this.

There is no difficulty in pokemon.
---
gbchaosmaster
#6sketchpridePosted 10/6/2011 2:45:28 AM
gbchaosmaster posted...
Bulbasaur- Best for beginners
Squirtle- Medium difficulty
Charmander- High difficulty

I really don't get why people still write this.

There is no difficulty in pokemon.

I think that has something to do with the Gym leaders. For example, I picked Squirtle as starter. Its very useful against Brock, okay for Misty but difficult in Lt. Surge's Pokemon...
---
"That's not what I had in mind when I said I needed more RAM for my computer!'
#7gbchaosmasterPosted 10/6/2011 10:44:57 AM(edited)
For every gym leader, there is a pokemon that is easily obtainable and effective against it.

The only exception is Brock because training Butterfree is a pain (but it's not an exception in Yellow, because of Mankey). Still, Onix is a joke and not hard at all to beat with Charmander+teammates - just tedious.

And let's face it... by now, I'm pretty sure most people who try this old game - even if it's their first time - are well over the age of the average buyer when this game came out. (10?)
---
gbchaosmaster
#8MaskedSheikPosted 10/16/2011 8:17:25 PM
I'd say Squirtle's the "easiest", whatever negligible difference it makes in an already easy game. Charmander and Bulbasaur can run into more hangups if you're, like, really drunk or bad at the game or seven years old. Most efficient is probably also Squirtle, though Charmander's close.

Bulbasaur- Can be replace by Exeggutor

Eggy's way worse in-game and comes quite late. Venusaur's the best grass Pokémon...

Charmander- Can be replaced by: Arcanine, Flareon

Same here. Charizard is miles ahead of any other Fire Pokémon in any circumstance.

As for Blastoise, lots of Water Pokémon have something going for them: Gyarados, Vaporeon, Kingler, Tentacruel, Starmie, Dewgong, Kabutops, Poliwrath...in some runs with some conditions, they're better than Blastoise. But Blastoise is someone you use the whole game whereas you can only get most of these Pokémon later. So they're not that comparable.

Actually there's little point in comparing Pokémon of the same type. Type matters little in-game. What's more important is when said Pokémon becomes available, how much babysitting they need, and how much ass they can kick when they're ready. Sadly, nothing's better than the starters in a normal run. Except maybe Nidoran > Bulbasaur. Or level 100 trainerfly Pokémon (I guess a "normal" level 7 trainerfly Gyarados would be good too). But for the most part, no matter what starter you pick, your best strategy is to solo the game with them.

If you place other conditions on levels, healing, Center/Mart use, etc., it's more interesting and there are indeed reasons to use other Pokémon, or even to eventually dump the starter. On these runs, Charmander and Squirtle tend to be better than Bulbasaur, but other Pokémon can be better than them.

For every gym leader, there is a pokemon that is easily obtainable and effective against it.

Yes: your starter. Balance :)
---
What I think is the really dangerous approach is the "let's be artistic" attitude. I know that artistry just happens. ~Fred Astaire
#9GunbladeladPosted 10/17/2011 9:53:59 AM
On a side note, I should probably point out that Charmander's final stage is one of only 2 fire Pokemon in Gen 1 to have an immunity to ground moves such as Earthquake - admittedly, not a move type you'll come across much ingame. Nonetheless, it's still an advantage it has over other Fire types, and IIRC (been years since I checked) it does have a better movepool than the only other Fire / Flying type, Moltres.
---
Where logic won't work - I will
PAL Gamers unite - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/277-pal-gaming
#10MaskedSheikPosted 10/17/2011 11:55:58 AM
Moltres can't even get Flamethrower. :p

Even if you catch Moltres early with trainerfly, it gets nothing but Fly (and crap like Fire Spin, Peck, Swift) for a long time. Charizard can't learn Fly, but it can learn Slash, Earthquake/Dig, and Flamethrower, and it learns those moves earlier, and it levels up faster. Charizard's much better.
---
What I think is the really dangerous approach is the "let's be artistic" attitude. I know that artistry just happens. ~Fred Astaire