End game questions *major spoilers*

#1onionring1988Posted 3/2/2009 8:43:45 AM
Okay so I just beat this game.. btw.. Great game I loved it and it was truly a great piece of work.. I loved the art direction and style. Anyways....

I am kind of confused on the whole premise of the game. I feel like nothing was really answered... maybe I did not pay enough attention but what do you think
Who is Yorda? What is her significance? How did she become human after being transformed to a shadow demon?
In the beginning when ICO got out of that statue thing... do you think everyone in his tribe or something got stuck in them and thus they are the shadow demons?
and lastly..
What did you think of the ending?
It was nice... but... I want to know whats going on :(

PS. How does SoTC compare to this?
---
http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=onionring
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q358/onionring1988/42HL67/setup.jpg (MY SETUP)
#2MookietheboldPosted 3/2/2009 9:54:13 AM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=367472&topic=8011509

SotC is great, too. Buy it, play it.
---
#3KoujaPosted 3/4/2009 3:10:12 PM
Get SotC ASAP!
#4JoveHackPosted 3/10/2009 6:00:09 PM
onionring1988 posted at 3/2/2009 8:44 AM "Okay so I just beat this game.. btw.. Great game I loved it and it was truly a great piece of work.. I loved the art direction and style. Anyways...."

That's as much a part of the story as anything. The Castle in the Mists is portrayed as part of the Age of Legends, an Age on the verge of fading away.

Meanwhile, as the knights and their steeds show, a strong community continues elsewhere. The horses are magnificent and well trained. Such warhorses do not exist in isolation. Blacksmiths, horse farms, veterinarians, brood mares, tack, grooms, plowhorses, tack-makers, breeding stock, colts, mares, trainers, farmers to raise the grain, farmers to support the people supporting the horses, etc. The knights and their steeds can only exist as the pinnacle of a very large economic pyramid. The horses are the result of a centuries long breeding program.

Note that even Ico's clothing is too good for a plain villager. Child of the local squire at the very least.

onionring1988 also wrote, "I am kind of confused on the whole premise of the game. I feel like nothing was really answered..."

The premise of the game is "Small boy. Big castle." Ico triumphed over the Castle in the Mists and its Queen, with Yorda's help.

onionring1988 continued, "maybe I did not pay enough attention but what do you think. Who is Yorda? What is her significance? How did she become human after being transformed to a shadow demon?"

You've asked the key question. Who is Yorda? The Queen calls Yorda her one and only beloved daughter. What kind of child could the Queen bear? Could a human girl grow to Yorda's age hanging in a cage? There's no hint of food, drink, or servants to bring them to Yorda.

Yet Yorda has enough physical presence to slow Ico when holding his hand. Enough real mass to weigh down pressure plates to hold open doors for Ico. Enough independence to defy the Queen. Enough humanity to be turned to stone, just as the Queen tried to do to Ico. Yorda was also a mistress of the Castle in the Mists, opening sealed gateways, destroying shadow demons, creating bridges from the air, opening the main gates, and finally drawing on the Castle to recreate herself and rescue Ico.

onionring1988 continued, "In the beginning when ICO got out of that statue thing... do you think everyone in his tribe or something got stuck in them and thus they are the shadow demons?"

The other sarcophagi contain horned boys imprisoned one by one over the years as they came of age. Only the last set of shadow demons had horns such as Ico's. The shadow demons Ico destroyed in the room with the sarcophagi.

onionring1988 finished, "and lastly.. What did you think of the ending?"

The best possible outcome, given the rest of the game.

Ico and Yorda rescued each other and brought down the Castle in the Mists. No more horned boys will be imprisoned there. The Queen no longer exists as Queen.

Ico's sound. Yorda's alive in the outside world. They have each other, their freedom, Ico's resourcefulness, Yorda's faith, mutual determination, a good boat, and the wide sea. It's an ending full of triumph and hope.

While Ico's village may not welcome him back, he's enough fortitude that that won't matter.